Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Well...THIS is just to the point. I was called an antivaxer...until I got vaxxed, lol...even though I have every vax known to man floating around in my system.
    It's their way...at THEIR time... or the highway. (for some of them)

I was called a "granny/child killer" here by someone, simply because that person chose to get the needle a couple months before me.

It's nonsense. It's why I have mostly bowed out over here for a few weeks. (Due to both sides btw. Constantly.)

Thank God we fired a coach and had recruiting season. Now that all that is wrapped up, I guess I have to put my waders back on and head back into this ;) :D

2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I had a severe case of covid at this time last year. On day 5 I developed pneumonia and ran a 105-106 fever off and on for three days until I was administered Bamlanivimab a monoclonal antibody that saved my life. I recently was tested and my antibody count was 764 which to qualify it needs to be above .1. I’m not vaccinated because I already have the antibodies I need. I’m by no means antivax but I see no reason to put gas in a full tank with the risks that these vaccines do come with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I am against this vaccine. I would like to see the long term affects that we haven't studied yet.

We gave our son the entire battery of vaccines except this one. They have been around for decades. They are proven. We know of long term consequences on them. We don't on the Covid Vaccine. It was rushed to market. I just don't trust it.

If the refusal to blindly follow every hint and intonation of the CDC makes me an anti-vaxer, so be it.

This is not directed at you Tilly. The general discussion leaves very little room for nuance.

5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    then why are you scolding all of us for the acts of one, and we don’t even know who it is or what the posts were? If there is a specific issue with one poster perhaps take it up with him directly.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    my take is it is 2 issues that are closely related. 1. clear rule violations (I'm guilty & had a post removed. 2. general neg tone of the discussion. It is the latter, that I think prompted the more general scolding.

7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If people had the same opinion back in the day when the polio or MMR vaccines were first introduced, do you think those diseases would have been all but eradicated? Or would we still have them with us because many people wanted to wait and see how the vaccines reacted with people over time?

The mRNA vaccines have 30 years of research behind them. The vaccine contains the exact strain of mRNA you will find in the COVID virus, plus some organic compounds to keep the mRNA from breaking down too quickly. All materials in the vaccine break down and are expelled by the body within 8 to 12 hours of receiving the jab.

In contrast, the virus contains not only the mRNA strand, but a full viral sequence. There is evidence that particles of the virus may remain in the body and cause problems (long haul COVID) in some people. We also have no idea if the COVID virus contains any retro virus particles that could remain dormant for years, and later cause problems, like chicken pox that decades later can cause shingles.

So what's safer? The vaccine or getting COVID?

8. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I agree with this. It was just a comment to the fact vaccines are cheaper but yet many vaccinated are getting sick and going for the treatment.

9. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I actually just spoke with a nurse who works one of the clinics in central Florida.
    She claimed the different to you.

She said it’s slightly more vaccinated but that’s to be expected since we are over 60% at least one dose.

10. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    Not sure. And that is my honest answer.

11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I won't purport to know certain numbers. My claim is anecdotal however up until this past couple of weeks it has been an overwhelming majority that have been unvaccinated. Now with that said I work with several nurses who are anti covid vaccine and they claim it has been 50/50. Has it really been that equal or is their own bias skewing their perception? Who knows. I'm pretty ambivalent on the matter although I think anti covid vaxers who think ivermectin/hydroxyq and even regeneron early on were ok are quacks.

In any event as for now the vaccinated seeking treatment are noticeably way more frequently coming in than before.

• Like Like x 1
  12. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I am happy people are getting it.

saves lives and lowers viral loads quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Comparing the Polio vaccine to the covid vaccine is a joke. The polio vaccine was tested on 1.8 million people which used for the first time the now-standard double-blind method, whereby neither the patient nor attending doctor knew if the inoculation was the vaccine or a placebo. Wasn't approved until a year later. Also didn't have anywhere close to the issues with myocarditis that teen boys have had with the covid vaccine. And lets not even discuss that polio affected children where as covid doesn't except for a very small part of kids with underlying conditions.

At least be honest when having that discussion.

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I am really curious what sort of long term effects do you fear. They have been administered for over a year now, with literally billions of doses. The generally mild side effects have been known for most of that year. I don't recall any new side effects popping up over the last few months.

You may find this informative. Offit is the head of some vaccination agency and inventor of the rotovirus vaccine. He basically says that there has never in the history of vaccines been serious side effects of vaccines that have cropped up beyond a couple of months after administration of vaccines. Ever. So either one has to think he is lying or the covid vaccines are different than a hundred years of vaccine history.

Long Term Vaccine Side Effects?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Just a but of info. Regeneron clinic in Miami is spiking significantly. They are back to 300 patients a day. We are in the 50s to 60s in Jax with it trending upward as well. Also increase in severity of symptomatic patients. Going to be interesting to see what the next few weeks hold. Does it level off with a lower high number of cases or does it continue to spike again? I am greatful I can earn extra income but we are all tired of this covid deal. I'm ready for normalcy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is just not true, at least in terms of historical vaccines and myocarditis. Plus you greatly exaggerate the covid vaccine risk in teen males, and fail to mention that the risk of getting infected with covid and getting Covid caused myocarditis is actually higher than risk of vaccine myocarditis.

Myocardial complications of immunisations - PubMed

In this pilot study clinical, electrocardiographic, chemical and immunological findings have been studied during a six weeks' follow-up after routine immunisation (mumps, polio, tetanus, smallpox, diphtheria and type A meningococcal disease) among 234 Finnish conscripts at the beginning of their military service. Serial pattern of ECG changes suggestive of myocarditis was recorded in eight of the 234 conscripts one to two weeks after vaccination against smallpox and diphtheria.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    My understanding is that this is a different type of vaccine, correct? What is the long term study on this type of vaccine. I mean, they aren't just injecting you with dead virus. They are messing with genetic structure.

I'm not sure why all the pressure (not from you per se). It seems this virus has freaked people out enough to stop valuing 1) Privacy of Medical Records, and 2) An individual's right to choose their healthcare options.

18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So a vaccine containing 1 mRNA strand, and organic lipids plus proteins, all of which break down and are out of the body within a 12 hours is potentially more dangerous than a virus? A virus, that if it infects you, not only contains the same mRNA strand, but a full viral genome, and will create countless copies of itself. And a virus that has already shown to have long term effects in a percentage of the population infected.

"The vaccine was rushed to delivery." "We don't know what's in the vaccine." "Natural immunity is better." "We don't know the long term effects of the vaccine." These were all the same arguments against the polio vaccine, MMR vaccine, and just about every other vaccine ever invented.

Here's a good, brief history on mRNA vaccines. It's really simple science. mRNA is what triggers events (or sends messages which is what the m stands for), and all viruses have an mRNA strand that the triggers the host body's immune response. Scientists understood this back in the 1960s, but couldn't isolate mRNA strands for over a decade. Then, even after the strands could be isolated, it took decades of research to be able to keep the mRNA strand from breaking down too quickly to be able to create a working vaccine. The problem was the mRNA had no effect on the body, because the body didn't recognize it quick enough.

Finally, by 2013, the compound needed to keep the mRNA strand intact long enough to be effective was tested successfully. Was potentially going to be used for Ebola, but by the time the vaccine came out, the need had passed.

The chances of an mRNA vaccine being more dangerous long term are almost zero. The mRNA vaccine just doesn't last long in the body, only does one thing, which is trigger the immune response, and then breaks down completely. The virus? Stays a lot longer, and again, in some, lingers and triggers long haul symptoms. The vaccine actually helps many with COVID long haul.

Last, I'm not comparing the polio vaccine, which was the first human manufactured vaccine back in 1955, with the COVID vaccine. I'm comparing anti-vaccine sentiment. The same arguments people are making against the COVID vaccine are the same ones people made against all other vaccines. What do you think would have happened if a large percentage of the population had refused to take the polio or MMR vaccines? Would those diseases have all but disappeared, or would there be significant outbreaks annually?

19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It's my understanding that they don't know how effective this treatment will be against Omicron - is that correct?

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Well yes, it is different, in that they put a piece of the offending rna that effectively "tricks" your body into thinking it is infected. If anything it should be safer than putting in the entire disease, either dead, or a safer alternative into the body to elicit an immune response.

If you somehow think this changes your DNA, no, it doesn't do that. That's impossible. It does not change your genetic structure.

Understanding COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1