Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow, so that poster is responsible for 100’s of thousands of lives being lost. I had no idea he had that power. Amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Reading comprehension fail.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, it’s more like fear mongering fail.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The virus mutating to a less lethal form to evade immunities is not a bad thing. That is what viruses do. That is why the other coronaviruses that affect people cause colds, but do not kill at the rates this one does. They have evolved.

Immune responses, whether from spread of the virus or vaccines, would favor mutations that are less lethal by defeating the earlier, more lethal variants.

The vaccines hasten this process by triggering the immune responses in the uninfected.

5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So in the first database there were 359 cases in the database (of 900,000 reported) vs 324 expected. That isn't a dramatic increase. Also as indicated by the negative it seems to be outside of the statistical significance range.

As to the second data series you had 10 cases vs 7. I can't imagine that falls into any statistically significant range but I don't know. Also, it seems those 10 cases showed faster development of appendicitis. So the worst case scenario is if you are one of the rare few to develop appendicitis after covid vax, the vaccine may make it manifest more quickly than it otherwise would have.

Also you should have learned by now that any time there is a possible association with the vaccine and a side effect, there is good possibility you get the same side effect with the actual disease and typically in greater frequency and severity. If you Google covid and appendicitis you will see a lot of data pointing to a higher incidence and more severe appendicitis due to covid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Hence why I said we need more data. You nor I know if the vaccine causes an increase in appendicitis. You can act like you do but you would just be making stuff up. It’s why we need a lot more data and studies on this.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I notice you always seem to look for and find potential effects of the vaccines. I don't recall you posting about side effects of actual covid. Given you are a big proponent of getting sick with covid to prevent future covid (natural immunity) I would think it would make sense to discuss the side effects of the disease itself.

• Winner Winner x 4
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    No, just your reading comprehension and/or dishonesty.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why would I reiterate what most on here spout off repeatedly? Yeah, I remember a lot of people on here talking about long covid and that was proven wrong. I’m not a big proponent of people getting sick from covid. That’s just you being upset that I am right. IF you’ve already had covid then those people should have the option to not get the vaccine. Anyone who doesn’t know if they’ve had covid who’s over 18 should get the vaccine. Kids should not unless they have underlying conditions. So sure, knock yourself out talking about the virus. I see you don’t bring up natural immunity at all or the potential issues with the vaccine. Shocking….

10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Look, I get it. You got called out and look foolish. Just move on and I won’t keep bringing it up.

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Omicron found in Altamonte Springs wastewater, but no confirmed cases

Florida city with no confirmed omicron cases finds COVID-19 variant in sewer water (msn.com)

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. (WESH) — Altamonte Springs city manager Frank Martz announced on Saturday that the omicron variant was detected in the city’s wastewater after a sample was collected on Thursday.

Seminole County’s medical director Todd Husty said Altamonte Springs wastewater project also tests samples from some of Orange County. “So we don’t know where this [variant] came from,” Husty said. “It does end up in wastewater even when we have patients that have very mild symptoms and don’t even know they have it.”

The city has been testing for the virus since April 2020. Husty said it’s a way to foreshadow what’s coming. “[Omicron] does seem to be a milder form of COVID which is I guess the good news, but the bad news is that it’s going to start circulating,” Husty said.

The value of the wastewater testing is to prepare. Altamonte Springs city manager said the team can detect virus spikes and variants sometimes as much as one week before the people who are infected develop symptoms or test positive.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Long covid absolutely does exist. It isn't up for debate.

Can you present any evidence that it doesn't?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, i've posted it before. Go look it up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    A number of Chicago Bulls have tested positive and a Miami Heat player. Vaccinated and asymptomatic. Vaccines preventing disease among the infected is exactly how they should work. Keeping infections mild or non-existent. Remember that the virus is out there and finds you if you have an immunity or not. The question is whether you handle it and how.

15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Omicron may (in a way) be good news though. Or at least the early indicators are that it is less severe than the Delta variant - which has wreaked the most havoc wherever it has surged. Although Omicron is even more evasive of vaccines, so that is the apparent trade off.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    It is also becoming evident from S Africa that the protection conferred by infection from Delta is not protecting people from re-infection by the omicron variant the same way that we previously thought of infection induced immunity did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Essentially what the study suggests is that there has been insufficient research as to whether long Covid symptoms are attributable to the virus or not. The following excerpt best illustrates that conclusion. It did not the reach the conclusion that long Covid symptoms are not real.

20. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

Of course there can be long term effects. I’ve talked to individual first hand (was in icu Jan) that still had lung damage per ct, 6+ months later.

Docs from John Hopkins discussing their patients, including children.

COVID ‘Long Haulers’: Long-Term Effects of COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 1