Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Actually should probably not have rated this optimistic. They are almost surely tracking it to push boosters...o_O:confused::cool::);):D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Unfortunately we are not. I am curious too. Some of ask but it isn't being charted. The last one had their 2nd Phizer 2 months ago

3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Actually most have been very pleasant. The few surly ones have been the politically motivated anti vaxxers who won't take one med but will happily take the other...

• Like Like x 2
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    that is just not rationale. We keep seeing med pro after med pro discussing how their wards are full of anti- vaxed. There is a reason for this - if they weren’t anti vax and listened to docs they wouldn’t be there.

the docs and medical community are more than “ do your research” on the internet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I would expect just about all are pleasant. Reality is this disease is dangerous to the elderly/obese/certain immune compromised. Some are going to be in those categories and choose not to take one of these new drugs and the boosters. Even if they did choose to they would likely be seeing someone for monoclonal treatments if they get the virus. The new drugs might prevent that but at this point it sure seems that we would send any high risk person to get the monoclonal treatments regardless of vaccination status since they appear to show really good data. While the new "vaccines" are not showing great data on keeping people from getting the virus/we know the monoclonal treatments are effective so why take a chance. They do show good data on less severe disease. But I would question how much of that is monoclonal treatments and was the new "vaccine" necessary (not saying people should not consider these vaccines).

The good news is we have options for people to make the decisions they are comfortable with. And we need to stop saying someone is wrong for making a decision they disagree with.

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Yes do your research. It shows that a majority of vaccinated are dying now and hospitalized now. Does putting these new drugs with no long term data in you help provide a therapeutic response if you get the virus? Yes imo. Is the risk of that worth it? Depends. And that is the crux of the matter.

Look. Booster up and take the monoclonal treatments if you get the virus. Or maybe just maybe you are in a low risk position where there is not a need to take anything unless necessary (you get the virus).

Almost forgot to mention what none of our idiot public health officials want to discuss. Natural Immunity!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Cool man. I know several people first hand who have passed. Some who fit the bill of the high risk and a few healthy ones that had no comorbidity. One who left a very young family behind and another young guy who counted on his health and fitness to be enough to fight it off. Healthy beach patrol officer. No biggy though because most people are ok.

Fyi I dont care about politics. I don't think masks are worn properly in most cases but serve a purpose in appropriate settings. . I also think there is a ton of virtue signaling going on with them as well. Never been a fan of mask mandates and certainly not shut downs. I've also never been so dismissive of the randomness of this virus and think the benefits outweigh the rewards for vaccinations and monoclonal antibodies. I'd never utter the things you say around the family of the people i know who have lost their family members. You do you though...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I appreciate the response. But I do think you have an unfair perception of what I would say those who are dealing with the loss of a love one. We are discussing things on the internet on an open message board about politics. That is completely different than me being around someone who may have lost someone from the virus and because of that might not view the data from a rational standpoint. Again rational standpoint does not mean my interpretation of risk is the right one verse someone else's. But the loss of life causes people to lose a sense of rationality when it comes to the data.

That said...on an open internet forum named too hot. I will push back against insane authoritative ideas when they are not supported by the data.

I hope you do not think I go around looking to make an issue out of the insanity happening. That said...it happens at a crazy rate these days. Fortunately no so much in Florida.

Health is more than just pumping drugs in oneself. Whether it be Tylenol or a new vaccine. Everyone is going to be different.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you believe that no one on this open internet forum has lost a loved one to covid?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    And I appreciate all of that. My point would be that nuance of the potential repercussions of the randomness is neglected in minimizing this. I say that fully acknowledging that nuance has been abandoned by extreme takes on both sides of the aisle . The truth is somewhere in between the fear mongers and those who trivialize the random nature of it.

12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Did you have access to their blood panels? I think sometimes we (generic) mistake what a person looks like for "being healthy" with respect to how COVID attacks people. Just inquiring about whether you are going on what appears to be a healthy individual or if you have more detailed knowledge about what their body chemistry entails. IF the latter, I don't think this information is out there as much as it could be.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    No. But we are engaging in conversation with strangers. I know someone personally who is my age that died after getting covid. Their spouse is incredibly strong in dealing with the situation. His kiddos lost their dad. I have not even considered asking if he was vaccinated as that is just not something to do based on the situation. But he did fit one of the criteria to be concerned about if you did get covid. And he was married to a pharmacist.

We need to stop telling people how to live their lives. This is a terrible virus. The data shows us who is low risk and who is high risk. From there people should be able to make healthcare decisions for themselves.

14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Over a decade with us and you still view us as strangers?

15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I think we are on the same page here.

Unfortunately I think the government is in so deep that we have lost the battle to get trustworthy reliable information. We still continue to ignore natural immunity. The damage being done to healthcare is palpable.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Come on phil...you have to understand the difference in communicating on too hot compared to one on one.

If someone on too hot posts a truly personal story...I am not going to go on and bash the situation with my perspective and call them out as crazy/insane and push my perspective. If I have I was wrong. But if we are going to discuss things in the open on too hot...you have to expect to hear a differing perspective. At this point a lot of people know many who have been deeply affected in some way by this virus. From death to just a battle with it. From vaccinated to unvaccinated.

I have a lot of respect for you phil and you know that. I consider you all my too hot family. At the same time this is a forum for ideas.

17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    While I do think that "healthy" today has different meanings and for many is used pretty loosely. 2 at a minimum were healthy enough to be very physically active and as far as anyone knew not diagnosed with any chronic issues.

One co worker is 26 years old, an avid swimmer and into various outdoor recreation. He was hospitalized last year and had wheezing for months after he had covid last year even having to sleep in a recliner for a long while after. Of course I don't know his labs but he's a healthy guy. I wonder if they will find a link between blood types, clotting factors, genetics etc because it does seem like some people just get it worse than others.

18. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Where did they move you guys?

19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Joseph Lee center on Perry Street
    Starting Friday

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So because his political leanings do not align with yours you decide that his tangible observations and asserted facts must be discounted. Given this, conversation with you is completely futile because you will not listen to or entertain any information at all, opinions, facts, what have you unless you are aligned with the authors political leanings. That is just sad.