Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You need thicker skin…

2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I can’t speak for gatordavisl but I’ll feel better when you quit repeating the same despicable bullshit you continue to spout. Until then I will not feel better about you.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    You need integrity…

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Well it’s November now. What’s happening in a lot of states right now that’s not in Florida?

5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Oh hey, BTW, L3Harris just started their request for exemption process THIS WEEK. It would appear that someone was a bit loose with the truth.

Having said that, it appears that they are going to be a bit loosey goosey with religious exemptions even though those are baloney.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia Alabama Arkansas Texas all are in the lowest (worst) group of fully vaccinated per capita states in the country, yet they are all in the lowest (best) per capita weekly new cases. It seems to me that geographic component has as much or more correlation to new covid cases as per capita vaccination rates.
    I'm all for getting vaccinated and i'm also not worried about coming in contact with unvaccinated people.. I try to be careful. I don't see the justification for taking the extreme step of firing someone for their vaccination status, especially at this point in the pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Timing matters. Those states all just got over their Delta bumps, while other states are still in the middle of theirs.

Over the course of the pandemic, Georgia is 9th in per capita deaths, Alabama is 2nd, Arkansas is 7th, Texas is 18th.

8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Going through the 2nd full year of this, it seems clear there is some degree of “seasonality” going on since the timing of the waves almost overlaps from year to year.

Although it might have more to do with behaviors rather than temperatures. The southern big waves happen when it starts getting hot as hell outside in late summer. The northern waves start occurring when it starts getting chilly in fall/early winter. Two totally opposite weather conditions. The commonality is people spending more time in INDOOR environments, the change in behavior might be unleashing those waves. COVID clearly spreads in all weather, so I’m not saying this is absolute (and I could be totally off base and it’s all coincidental, only two years of data afterall), but on the surface the spikes seem to have had this seasonality to them.

Will be interesting to see what happens when it’s FL turn again, obviously the ideal would be some sort of build up population immunity or mutation to simply make it not matter as much, as far as hospitalization rates. But we need to observe that actually happening, not make assumptions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    noun / adjectives
    Posters have made the distinction many times. Which is more offensive? 1) If a poster claims that a certain opinion is idiotic or b) If a poster calls another an idiot? If calling another poster a fear monger is not against board rules, then so be it.

10. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    This was exactly my point. The past couple weeks people in northern and Midwest states have begun moving indoors. Not the case in Florida, Alabama, Texas etc.

11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And how do those deaths compare when you factor in age groups? For instance, FLORIDA shows as having a higher per capita death rate as compared with California, but did you know that California has a higher per capita death rate when you look exclusively at the under 50 crowd? Age brackets have a significant impact on what the overall death per capita looks like for a state. Why aren't news outlets breaking down these differences so the public can be better informed?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachussetts, New Jersey, and Illinois (#15) are all near the top when it comes to new COVID hospitalizations measured against total population (using a 7-day average).

Top 10 using data through 11/2:

1. Hawaii
    2. Louisiana
    3. Rhode Island
    4. Mississippi
    5. Connecticut
    6. Massachussetts
    7. New Jersey
    8. Alabama
    9. FLORIDA
    10. North Carolina

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

So lets just be clear. I think you would have to agree that AzCat made that number up. He has been speaking from a position of fear for most of this thread.
    I accuse him of spreading fear and that bothers you, but you have accused posters of being "disinformative" and "idiotic" as well as showing..."Ignorance"..."stupidity"..."stubbornness" and "selfishness" and that is OK?

A descriptive like stubborn or fearmonger is far different than calling someone an "idiot", jerk or A-hole etc.

Is it your position that I should have said he was "fearmongering" but not called him a "fearmonger"? Have you not seen what people (including you) have said to Q in this thread???

As for weather calling him a fearmonger should be deleted as a rules violation, then you tell me...are these quotes different or better in some way?:

You tell me:
    Nah. His post was a made up falsehood. Calling him a fearmonger for that was probably nice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Did I engage in name-calling? Did you? Again, if your post is within the rules, so be it. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Edit: My posts were critical of a certain poster's opinions. Your post referred to AZCat as a "fear monger." Which poster being criticized has contributed more useful information wrt coronavirus? This is a weak argument on your part, Tilly.

15. tilly

If I say "Joe is wrong" or if I say "Joe is a fearmonger" would you call that the same as if I said "Joe is an idiot" or "Joe is stupid" or "Joe is a racist"?
    Is your argument/question just in where I place the word?

Are you saying that:
    "Joe is a fearmonger" is name calling but
    "Joe keeps engaging in fearmongering?" is OK?

I mean I guess I see the semantics there, but the point is exactly the same and the intent was not to call him a name.

I will be more aware of how I word things going forward, but I promise you we let a lot worse things slide around here than that. (Again...look at the stuff tossed at Q, and he never complains and demands edits by the way).

Now. Do you care to address the absurd assertion that 100% of unvaxed kids will get covid in the next 12-18 months?

16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I stand by my numbers. Again, it's estimated in the the UK, which at first, decided to go the natural immunity route and did not do lockdowns, etc., about half the school age kids have been infected at least once.

Although around half of children have probably already had COVID-19, he said, protection may wane and a vaccination programme would be less disruptive to schools than if the children caught COVID-19.
    The UK is now focusing on vaccinating kids 12-15, because they are the biggest area of spread currently in the country, and if they were previously infected, it was likely over a year ago, and their natural immunity has waned. If even 33% of the kids in the UK were infected with the wild type of COVID in a few months, what do you think the infection rate would be with Delta, which is at minimum, twice as infectious?

And sorry @QGator2414, but firing Dr. Fauci wouldn't have made a difference. That's because Trump, as admitted, was doing everything opposite Dr. Fauci was suggesting. Which is crazy to think about. Who do you want leading the pandemic response. A self claimed "stable genius" who said he understood nuclear physics because his uncle once worked on a sub? Or a man with advanced degrees, who has studied infectious diseases and dedicated his entire professional life to the subject?

Trump had a Pandemic Playbook, that Fauci helped author when W. Bush was President. And worked on improving it under the Obama administration. Trump? He knows it all, and basically threw the book in the trash, and did things his own way. And that's why we got the results we got. Just ask Dr. Birx. She believes that had President Trump followed her, and other medical advisor's plans, hundreds of thousands of American lives could have been saved.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Six in ten children are immune to the COVID-19 virus despite never being infected by it

This is old, and may have been refuted, but even if 60% of the children are not immune, it seems like it's a guess, at best, to suggest that no children can be immune to it without having had it or having been vaccinated for it.

This organization does promote vaccines for children, but only after long-term safety studies are done:

The value of COVID-19 vaccines in children: Roadmap for a safer world

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    No. I'm saying there is a not so subtle difference and am asking the question: (Why) is this OK?
    Then why call AZCat a name?
    Thanks! As for Q, it's their prerogative. I respect that aspect of their posting, if not the content of their messages regarding Covid.
    I think it's likely an exaggeration, but I don't see it as fear mongering. During the past few months, I've had a feeling that everyone in our workplace will get the virus (this due to circumstances of space, lack of ventilation, and an abundance of aerosol producing activity). My thought is not that literally everyone will contract it, so the thought is a similar exaggeration to what AZCat shared.

19. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The timing of community spread waves has been different for different states. Think NY early on or for instance, right now FL might rank first in low spread of cases, but only a few months ago FL had the worst daily rate while other states were doing much better. There is often a lag time for various policy interventions, plus accounting for variation of human behavior that might differ geographically isn't always so easy. It's a reminder to all of us that we need to be careful in how confidently or strongly we draw inferences from top level numbers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tilly

All fine and good in isolation. But I was speaking of posting history in general. I have pointed this out before about the poster in question.

Your argument about the names isn't a hollow one though and we could all be better at making a point. Me included.