Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well, you were correct.

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    By far your best post on any of the Covid threads.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    Weekly Covid check in.

I have 4 of our last (hopefully) 7 Covid patients today. 3 of 4 are obese and diabetic. All are Hispanic. One husband and wife couple whose son is in a different hospital also with COVID. One had J&J vax in May. He is fine and will be going home after 2 days with no issues at all. He also was the only non-obese non-diabetic. The others were not vaccinated and are on 30 and 35 LPM heated high flow at 100% O2 which is not a good omen. Anyone see a pattern here?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Sorry if this is not in your wheelhouse, but do you have an idea of about how much the two day stay costs for the lighter case? My guess is that decent to good insurance would cover 80% of that cost.

5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I see a pattern in which vaccinations significantly aid in reducing the less healthy among us from experiencing severe sickness and possibly dying due to Covid. I think you see this too since the # of patients are down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    My god how many times are you going to repeat this absolute nonsense? We get it. You are too selfish to take the shot. Next time you think, “hey I’ll type up a long winded diatribe about how I’m not actually a selfish human being!” maybe just stop and instead don’t do that.

Just an idea.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    No idea really. He came in very SOB with COVID pneumonia but because he responded so quickly to the steroids and remdesivir he never needed any pulmonary or infectious disease consults and the requisite tests they would order so that will lessen the bill. But what that bill will be I have no idea.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks for these tales from the front lines. It’s been very enlightening getting your first hand feedback. Appreciate it!

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Trigger warning: This is going to cause some seriously hurt feelings among a few.

Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 Among Adults Hospitalized ...

Among COVID-19–like illness hospitalizations among adults aged ≥18 years whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the adjusted odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among unvaccinated adults with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection were 5.49-fold higher than the odds among fully vaccinated recipients of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine who had no previous documented infection (95% confidence interval = 2.75–10.99).

Translation: covid shots give better immunity than natural immunity against covid hospitalization, within the 90-180 time frame after vax/prior infection.

The differences in the Israeli study are addressed:

however, these findings differ from those of a retrospective records-based cohort study in Israel,†† which did not find higher protection for vaccinated adults compared with those with previous infection during a period of Delta variant circulation. This variation is possibly related to differences in the outcome of interest and restrictions on the timing of vaccination. The Israeli cohort study assessed any positive SARS-CoV-2 test result, whereas this study examined laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among hospitalized patients. The Israeli cohort study also only examined vaccinations that had occurred 6 months earlier, so the benefit of more recent vaccination was not examined. This report focused on the early protection from infection-induced and vaccine-induced immunity, though it is possible that estimates could be affected by time. Understanding infection-induced and vaccine-induced immunity over time is important, particularly for future studies to consider.

So as I read it:

-The Israeli study looked at longer term immunity, over 6 months, of vaccine immunity, whereas this study looked at 90-180 days after vaccine / infection.

-The Israeli study looked at the odds of any subsequent infection, this study looked at only positive subsequent results from hospitalization.

: popcorn:

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    We had a couple come in today for their monoclonal antibodies. They were nice overall but driven completely by politics. Upon asking a standard question whether they were vaccinated or not they answered no less than ten times " no! Absolutely not, no way, that's why we're here, etc etc." Then they expressed their concern for the nurses and medics that we don't lose our jobs over mandates to which they immediately followed with " but we're in Florida so we're safe."

It's just bizzare to me how this is political for some as well as the hypocrisy of running to take a medicine under a EUA.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Again....i know at least 3 healthy people at or under 40 dead from covid the last of who thought he was so healthy he didn't need the vaccine or antibodies.

Why the one poster here thinks its acceptable to have healthy people die from covid because it's "rare" when they could have very likely lived by taking a vaccine is mind boggling.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Politics have most definitely gotten in the way of people thinking rationally about vaccines and about therapeutic treatments. We've seen it on here a bunch but we see it everywhere. I'm seeing in my family too.

The oddity is the disconnect between favoring big pharma unproven or still not yet completed FDA clinical trials while getting all bent about big pharma vaccines. It's illogical. But those displaying the illogic have been conned by a concerted effort of people seeking to muddy the waters.

I also think some of this anti vaxxerism/masking etc. stemming from the frustration people have because things feel out of their control, thus finding common cause in saying eff you to govt efforts. Its an expression of frustration, if still largely misguided, selfish, and illogical.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would love to get an honest estimation of the percentage of AAs in American that are getting the jab... Ice Tea quits a movie becasue he will NOT be jabbed with the "vaccine" that the Biden administration is forcing on the American people... worse than drug pushers in the streets..

https://www.outkick.com/ice-cube-drops-out-of-movie-after-refusing-to-get-vaccinated/

I want to see the federal government go into DC, Chicago, Watts and Harlem... I want to see the day they force the AA's children to get the jab...

Got tons of popcorn ready for that show.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep. Hispanic people are screwed

15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    According to Kaiser KFF poll, 70% of adult blacks are vaccinated whereas only 58% of Republicans are.

The Biden Admin has not mandated Covid vaccines other than for federal employees. Biden has no doubt encouraged private sector employers and states to mandate vaccines, which both employers and governors are permitted.

Personally, I'd like to see everyone vaccinated, but equally, I'd like to see the large swath of the right wing in this country that has lost touch with reality to get their act together and start embracing rational thinking.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Let’s see, we have a non peer reviewed article from an arm of the cdc that the cdc uses to promote its policies. And we haven’t talked about the cherry picking of data. Anyone using this compared to the Israeli data is just looking for reasons to push the vaccine. Not surprised the CDC did this as they’ve manufactured data to make their measures seem to “succeed” when in reality they don’t. Quite comical.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Who peer reviewed the Israeli study? It is a pre-print...

19. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    The ratio of dead unvaxxed/vaxxed from Delta tell a much different story (but you knew that).

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    What data and how were they manufactured?