Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Not a credible position to take, if your stance is the school system exemptions somehow negate all the mandates. Laughable actually.

2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    And we see the efficacy is not what was sold. And we certainly don’t know what long term consequences there might be.

The disease is not dangerous to those who are healthy especially young. That is fact. From there people can make their decision if they want to inject themselves to force their immune system to respond.

I have friends from all sides. One…young healthy husband and wife. Husband Pfizer and wife Moderna. Both got Covid a couple months after. Husband it was a rough day and a half. Wife the second shot of Moderna knocked her out. Covid was a cold like it is for most vaccinated/unvaccinated other than she had to quarantine.

This is not polio or smallpox!!!

These vaccines are not equal. They are not the same. They are new.

So if you are not at real risk…it makes sense that one would want to wait to take it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    How can you know the efficacy of a vaccine after a year when a year hasn't passed since the vaccine was released for trial? How can you test the vaccine efficacy against the Delta variant when all vaccine trials occurred before the spread of Delta?

Anecdotal evidence can't compete with the hospitalization numbers and death numbers. There will always be breakthrough cases and some of those being serious. But the figures don't lie. Your best bet against a serious case of COVID-19 is the vaccine.

It's not a sure bet. But no vaccine has ever been. But get enough of the population vaccinated, and you can reach herd immunity. And the disease isn't an issue for anyone. Any age. Any condition.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Pretty easy to read the hard data. When you add the personal experience of knowing how many were vaccinated and got sick along with unvaccinated who got sick. It is not hard…

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You are right. It's easy to read the data. 95% to 99% of COVID hospitalizations from the unvaccinated. In general, states with higher vaccination rates have a higher rate of vaccinated in the hospital, because these states are 80% vaxxed or higher. Just not a lot of unvaxxed people to infect.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Surprising statistic: since the pandemic started, more policemen have died from Covid than from gunfire. About five times more. Even though police were among those eligible for the vaccine early on with the medical professionals and other emergency responders.

Five times as many police officers have died from COVID as from guns since pandemic began

7. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There was a thread on this the other day. Probably on the second or third page by now.

I'm not surprised by it at all. Police are out on the front lines interacting with people, sometimes physically. I mentioned this in the other thread, but covid deaths in one year are 46% & 60% of the two leading causes of death (gun shots & hit by car) over the past 16 years.

8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It didn't have to be this way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/hospital-covid-patient/

To put those numbers in context, the hospital only had 117 beds.

He didn't have to die. Too many people trying to be polite to both sides, when one side (the covid anti-vaxxers) is spreading misinformation that is resulting in dead Americans. Hopefully we are on the downside of all this, but at the judgment bar of God, there is going to be some sorrow when the book is opened and people find out who they killed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Good Lord call it anecdotal but a great majority of the people we are administering regeneron to are to unvaccinated people. This idea that it's vaccinated people getting covid is insane. Those that are contracting it are still having reduced symptoms. I won't put a number on it because it would be a dishonest guess but there is NO doubt that its the unvaccinated flocking to these clinics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

No one is dying by listening to me. No one needs to wear masks since they don’t work. I’ve said everyone over 18 should take the vaccine. But you keep making up shit. It’s quite comical. I do love that 20 months into this pandemic and some still think masks work. That is hilarious. Needed this laugh after the LSU loss. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    And people wonder why the schism about COVID vaccines is prevalent.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's called the scientific method. New variables such as new variants come along, which requires new observations and experiments. The vaccines all were tested against the wild type of COVID. To expect the vaccines all to react exactly the same to new variants is scientific ignorance.

13. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Which we all knew was going to happen as that is the very definition of a virus and adaptation. To be more precise the efficacy rates should have been pegged to the variant which is not what is being relayed to the public.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The variant didn't exist when the vaccines were initially tested in trials. And no claim was ever made that the vaccines would be equally effective against any new variant that came along. And yet the vaccines still are remarkably effective against the delta variant. Not sure what you want, other than to complain and whine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    No disagreement with the variant not existing at the time these vaccines were developed. The issue is with the vaccines efficacy rates against new variants which we knew would eventually rear their ugly heads. As is now we are still using the original vaccines against the new variants instead of developing vaccines that work on all variants. There in lies the issue with efficacy rates and booster requirements. IE we know you will get COVID regardless of vaccine but this is the best we can do to mitigate COVID symptoms. Not promising at all and this why the public has little faith in the vaccinations.

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    How are they supposed to deliver "precise" efficacy rates on something that doesn't yet exist? The numbers given with the rollout of the vaccine were based on the clinical trials at the conclusion of the trial, it was a specific point in time under the conditions during the trial. The trial can't read into the future to give you "precise" numbers 6 months out or on emerging variants that don't yet exist. The delta variant wasn't a known variable when the trials were conducted, so how do you get "precise efficacy rates pegged to the variant" when the variant does not yet exist? Do you understand you are asking for an impossibility?

The delta variant numbers have come in as observed in the real world. It's not really even clear how much the Delta variant impacts the efficacy of the vaccine, I think time is a factor as well, time may even be the greater factor as far as seeing the reduced efficacy. I assume some of the studies adjust for time as a variable, but I've seen a bunch of conflicting figures so not sure anything can be seen as definitive yet. This should surprise nobody because all of the experts I saw early on suggested re-infections weren't just possible, they were probable, just because that's how coronaviruses generally operate (the average human gets infected something like 4 times a year with different common coronaviruses). Perhaps like other common coronaviruses re-infection isn't as bad the 2nd go around as far as rate of hospitalizations and deaths, but time will tell on that, it is quite literally unknowable until the data comes in and informs us.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

The existing vaccines do work pretty well against the Delta variant though, to varying degrees. I'm not sure it calls for a radically different vaccine, though I do recall claims that the mRNA vaccine could be easily adapted to variants. I haven't actually heard of any of them doing anything "new" with this booster shot.

In fact, the Moderna shot is actually only a 50% dose compared to the original dose. Time is also a factor, not sure if this is going to be an "annual" shot, but probably better to be safe then sorry for now IMO until we see what happens.

18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More data showing how well Masks "work" LOL.

[​IMG]

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If it exists it's because folks have created yet another fictional caricature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1