Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is totally inaccurate. I posted the other day data that showed it effective against hospitalization longer than 6 months.

As I, NC and others have repeatedly posted, antibodies are a short and medium term defense. They aren't meant to be a long term defense. By definition antibodies decrease - they have to or our blood will be sludge due to all the diseases in our lifetime. Longer term the body develops memory cells that kick in, but they usually take a few days to get going, so with diseases like covid or flu, where infection incubates faster than that, infection becomes more likely. But the memory cells kick in and keep the infection from becoming serious.

The boosters will boost antibodies, reducing chance of infection. It isn't clear if it will provide better longer term immunity. It probably will for older people, immunodeficiencies and middle age/ older men.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    Larger than you think and not the demographic that you think either. You'd be shocked at how many people avoid treatments that involve needles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    What you're getting at is the person isn't intentionally being selfish. But intent is not a precondition for selfishness. We humans are all self-interested first--think Maslow's hierarchy of needs. So selfishness is faiap a default position. It takes on negative perceptions when in relation to others the person acts upon what is *only* good for him/her without considering how that might be bad for the group/others.

This remains true even if it isn't intentional.

Nope. i don't hang with only those of the same political feather. A pretty sizable majority of my fam & friends are on the right, w/many of them being MAGA (and/or Q). I know for some of them it's a mix of ignorance and fear, but there is also politically driven defiance and irrationality.

Heck, I watched it unfold among some of them in real time--daily. Rationally hesitant like many of us were back in the latter part of 2020, turned into a hot mess of buying into the disinformation that led them to obstinately taking a position that they're never getting vaccinated.

4. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    And they are a large Venn diagram overlap with the group calling everyone snowflakes.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    No one worries until they die on a respirator.

Like the loud anti-vaxx husband and wife neighbors of my daughter's teammate did within days of each other last month.

• Winner Winner x 4
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A month later and we are currently reporting 2668 deaths per million. A single day of adding 300 deaths doesn't make that much of a difference, but a month of adding 300+ deaths per day adds up.

7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    That describes my late brother. Anti-vaccer and died with Covid Pneumonia turning his lungs black. It was not a pleasant death.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  9. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting that they stopped the study at the end of October. Wonder why they did that? I'm sure it was just a coincidence. Can't possibly have anything to do with the huge spike starting in Nov for most of the Dem states, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Perhaps. That is not selfish though.

12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I am so sick of the downplaying of natural immunity. The fact is reinfection is extremely rare. Much rarer than taking these drugs and avoiding the disease. Hence the protection is more durable and lasts longer. Because that reality does not fit the narrative the science conveniently gets ignored. And instead to push a drug they start talking super immunity.

My parents are about to be at 15 months since having Covid (in their 60s). Like most they recovered fine. Hit my mom a little harder than my dad. My dad would rather of had the Covid than the flu. Same for my mom who it hit harder. They are still providing antibodies when they can?

These drugs look to provide a small benefit in the severity of the disease. Though the death percentages look to follow what has always happened when we get the numbers. Older people die. Thankfully we have better therapeutics.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    No worries at all. The data speaks for itself.

But you are entitled to be scared for and worry for sure.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I don't get how people think EVERYONE not getting the shot is selfish and uninformed. The point for some of them is you cant be informed of what we don't know yet.
    I know people who agonize over every thing they put in their bodies and log every minute of every mile they run every morning and take meticulous care of their bodies, who simply don't put anything in that has questions outstanding. Uninformed or incorrect, do not equal "selfish". You are creating a watered down definition of the word to fit the current narrative.

Selfishness is an act of intentionally "seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others"
    You cant accidentally "seek" of "concentrate". Those are intentional acts.

I know we are dealing with semantics here, but I do feel that selfishness involves a conscious effort to put yourself above others.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    This is complete and utter nonsense. My ICU nurse sister thinks you are full of shit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    The data states that 90%+ of those on respirators in hospitals are unvaccinated.

But you get your data from eaglepatriotqanontrumprocksslowcala.com, so it differs...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The data on natural immunity isn't settled. The large Israeli study only looked at one vaccine, and the participants were homogenous. Not discounting that study, but it may mean natural immunity for other ethnic groups may not carry over. And other vaccines may be better than Pfizer as compared to natural immunity. There are plenty of smaller scale studies that show natural immunity is not better than what any vaccine can provide.

The data on COVID deaths in places like Vermont and the UK need context when it comes to vaccines. Vermont is 80% vaccinated. Parts of the UK are close to 90%. If half the COVID deaths are coming from the vaccinated, then it also means 50% of the COVID deaths are coming from 10% to 20% of the population which is unvaccinated. Data like this shows the vaccine is working.

And it's not just the elderly that is dying from COVID. COVID was the leading cause of death for people in the US 35-54. In the same link, it is estimated that the vaccine could have saved as many as 90,000 people from dying between June 2021 and September 2021. For people in the 35-54 age group, if you aren't vaccinated, you are playing with fire.

18. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008

Welcome Delta. Isreal was the first county to fully vax most of its population. After 6 months, it got bad. They didn't start having fully vaxxed until mid Jan.

AAAS

What is clear is that “breakthrough” cases are not the rare events the term implies. As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier. Of the 514, 59% were fully vaccinated. Of the vaccinated, 87% were 60 or older. “There are so many breakthrough infections that they dominate and most of the hospitalized patients are actually vaccinated,” says Uri Shalit, a bioinformatician at the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) who has consulted on COVID-19 for the government. “One of the big stories from Israel [is]: ‘Vaccines work, but not well enough.’”

19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Okay?!

You and her can feel as you wish. The data speaks.

You want to chat with my parents who have been giving antibodies for coming on 15 months...I will be happy to get you and your sister in touch. Anyone who thinks those with natural immunity should be mandated to get a shot are just sheep following the propaganda. Sadly the "science" has been destroyed through this pandemic to push a narrative.

If our idiot leader and public health officials would have been honest from the beginning we would be in a much better spot right now. Instead we have created a division that I do not think is fixable. If the data changes...I will change with it. It is hard trying to navigated it as right now it is not just given. It is vetted and provided to best fit a narrative.

Just curious. Do you think Natural Immunity should be acknowledged?

The fauc actually said after over a year and a half into this terrible virus that he would need to get back to us on natural immunity. That alone should have had him fired. But they do not want the "science" out for that because it goes against the narrative. And you wonder why healthy people do not want to take a new drug for a disease that is not that dangerous to them?

20. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Still holds today. Blue states have done better than red states.