Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    In terms of hospitalizations even with Delta they are still disproportionately among the unvaccinated.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    This is for Moderna. The main US vaccine for 12-17 is Pfizer. The reason Nordic countries stopped Moderna is because of a small percentage of kids, mostly male, getting a case of myocarditis after being vaccinated. However, very few of these kids had a serious case, and none died.

The rate off myocarditis is actually higher in kids who get COVID as compared to those who get the vaccine. The rate of those who get myocarditis from the Pfizer vaccine is the smallest yet. Which is probably why the Nordic countries are using Pfizer to vaccinate their youth, and not Moderna.

For those who claim to "do their own research," I find it most of these people rarely, if ever, read beyond the headlines. Which isn't doing much research at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Which study are you referring to as a lab study?

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

TWA?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. tilly

I would assume they don't realize its bad. At some point in life you have fallen for bad info...doesn't mean you were selfish.

Selfish is an act of intent.
    It is conceivable that one can be quite selfless by thinking the vaccine is a danger and voicing that opinion believing they are helping. While completely wrong, it would not be selfish

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    It’s entirely possible those people are just stupid. Some have been legitimately duped by misinformation. And that’s awful. But the majority of hold outs, IMO, are just pure selfishness at this point. Prime examples in this thread.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Their is some portion of the unvaccinated who are scaredy cats.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I finally got around to watching The Social Dilemma.

It explains a lot in this thread.

We are doomed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Willful ignorance + acute stubbornness, when detrimental to the collective, is indeed selfishness.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Nailed it

11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I bet very few are scared. And far more vaccinated are scared.

It is fascinating that people cannot understand this disease targets certain demographics and is not that dangerous to most (well there are quite a few unhealthy people in this country but…).

I am just wondering why so many of the vaccinated are scared?

12. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Nah. Many who haven't gotten the shot are just gutless wonders. Sucks to be them.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Nah…Most of them are enjoying life.

Not worried about arrogant pricks trying to shame them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Because we have family members who are either immuno-compromised or 80+ years old. And studies show a vaccinated 80 year old is akin to an unvaxxed 50 year old when it comes to outcome.

Or we understand virology variants. Delta is a beast compared to the wild type. A new variant will emerge. Especially given the fact the virus is still raging. Let's hope the next variant isn't worse than Delta.

We also understand math. Herd immunity can wipe a disease off of Earth. When is the last time you heard of someone with polio? But we know, eradicating a disease takes time. Measles was almost gone, but one, large anti-vax community in California, vaccine rates fall below herd numbers, and we have an outbreak.

We also don't know how long immunity lasts. Any kind. What kind of immunity will anyone have after 3 years? Nobody knows.

Pandemics require a community response. Tough to do when there are demon sperm doctors in Youtube spouting nonsense, and tens of thousands following.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Selfishness does not have to be intended.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Yes as long as you catch it within the first 6 months of being fully vaxxed. If I were 65 plus and got the shot early this year, I would be getting the booster for the winter.

People don't realize that the mRNA vaccines we have only targeted the spike protein. Yes, this is very important but very limited what it taught our T cells. Someone with natural immunity will recognize more of the virus in the event of reinfection. There are 29 proteins that make up the virus. I get why they did it. It limits potential harsh side effects with the vaccine. This is why there are many more breakthrough cases than confirmed reinfections.

I hope you realize the booster is really just to refresh antibodies again. It might further build up a more robust B-cell response which we should all really hope for.

17. tilly

Cmon man. The single mom working two jobs...getting kids to soccer...fixing dinner...etc. She listens to friends, maybe her nurse buddy but she isnt stupid.

If you think that opinion of good people gives you a moral high ground, you are wrong.

Yeah, there is some stupidity on these boards. But assigning that in a blanket form to the whole is lazy and unfair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tilly

I completely disagree.
    Selfishness is willfully putting yourself ahead of others. If someone thinks the vax is a danger they will not see it as putting themselves ahead of others. They will see it as a harmless act.

Some of you must only know like minded people to yourselves or else have some terrible peers if you think the only people refusing the shot are willfully risking others in their mind.

I know people who have hesitated that would embarrass all of us with their lives devoted to others.

19. tilly

Willful ignorance and stubbornness are indeed intentional acts.

Not everyone is guilty of these traits..

20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This is the crux of the problem though.

People that might otherwise be halfway intelligent, get locked into the Facebook feedback loop. The bad actors actually target “soccer moms” and “yoga groups” with the misinformation. They might not even realize what is happening to them.

It’s turning people stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1