Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Not sure why, but France is doing much better than the UK right now. The countries have about the same population, but the current 7 day average for cases in the UK 33,809 and the current average in France is 4,677. The countries have similar vaccination rates as well. Being in France right now, do you have any insight into why it's doing so well? I'd guess requiring vaccine proof might be part of it but I'm not sure what the policy in the UK is.

2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry, you don't know what you are posting about. Read the actual test results. For a physician's type mask it was about 30% effective against aerosols which rose to about 70% if you pressed it against your face. Not great numbers, but far from zero. That's only with the "inhaler" (for lack of a better term) wearing one. If both the exhaler and the inhaler are wearing masks, aerosol transmission to the inhaler would be reduced much further.

Mask Guru > Coin Toss > Magic 8 Ball > gator95.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    We were in London the week before here. The pubs and restaurants were rocking. We drank and ate outside. I think density may have a lot to do with it. UK is just so densely populated. I do know that young adults there (21 - 23) that are friends with my daughter just got their second jab in the last month. Not sure if that means anything or not. People on the tube in London were not masked as much as those on local rail in Paris. We all just passed our tests yesterday so we can fly out tomorrow so that was a relief.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    And also yet to be proven effective against covid.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    If you got worms, that's a really good deal.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IF masks worked we would see real world numbers showing that. We don't have that. But hey, keep believing masks work. I'll live in the real world. You keep living in some guys experiment in his basement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess China was just lucky to order a bunch of PCR tests before Covid hit...

China PCR test orders soared before first reported COVID case

"Purchases of PCR tests in China's Hubei Province surged months before the first official reports of a novel coronavirus case there, according to a report from researchers in the U.S., the U.K. and Australia.

About 67.4 million yuan ($10.5 million at current rates) was spent on PCR tests in Hubei during 2019, nearly double the 2018 total, with the upswing starting in May. The report, released by a research team that includes former intelligence officers, is based on records from a website aggregating information on bids for public sector procurement contracts.

The report casts further doubt on China's official line about the origins of the virus, a topic that has fueled tensions between Beijing and Washington."

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Surgical mask with mask fitters easily getting to 90+% efficiency.

Watch, learn. Btw, no apology necessary...you no longer spreading misinformation is satisfaction enough.

9. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Between you and the guy in his basement/bathroom, one of you knows what he is talking about.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Somehow I think you fit in the Blue bar graph in the over 50% group. You guys literally believe whatever the MSM tells you.

U.S. Adults' Estimates of COVID-19 Hospitalization Risk

upload_2021-10-4_20-2-1.png

11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You keep posting those videos of the guy in the basement. Just make sure you mask up at home. Can't be too safe. Too funny.

• Like Like x 2
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I really don’t get the irrational hate for public health measures from the right. What’s the big deal adjusting minor behaviors to support community safety and adding another vaccination to the dozen you have to get? Is owning the libs that important?

• Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    We do see real world numbers showing that masks help. Just because you refuse to acknowledge it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's bizarre how dug in you are here. You should really just man up and say you were wrong.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    I definitely will. Some people enjoy learning...others are just "stuck." He does most of the testing in his bathroom because it must be conducted in a small area and that is the smallest room in his home. Apparently you can't challenge his methodology or his results, so you repeatedly go after him because of where he runs his tests. I can just imagine your feeling of self satisfaction when you hit the Post Reply button with this basement nonsense...feeling all super intense, aggressive and dismissive. Problem is, you just come across as petty, small and devoid of substance. This guy does a lot of good for people...helping them find masks that are efficient and breathe well. You, on the other hand, are on this 2 or 3 person anti-masker crusade that wore thin about 1000 posts ago. I'm not so much concerned about the people here, I really don't think anyone takes your position seriously anymore, if they ever did. I just hope the people around you have figured that out as well.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that far more people will die following your advice than mine. Funny what people are OK with.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope. But keep thinking that way. The US has much stricter mask requirements for kids than most countries. That’s really helped…

it’s ok to admit masks don’t work. Just like it’s ok to admit lockdowns didn’t work and keeping schools closed didn’t work. The faster some realize this the better. But with that graph of some people thinking that 50% of people with Covid are hospitalized, I don’t have a ton of of hope for some of you.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009

Democrats provide much higher and more accurate vaccine efficacy estimates than Republicans (88% vs. 50%), and unvaccinated Republicans have a median vaccine efficacy of 0%, compared with 73% for vaccinated Republicans. The results suggest that the low vaccine uptake among Republicans may be driven, at least in part, by an inaccurate understanding of the published data on vaccine effectiveness

So the median unvaccinated Republican thinks the vaccine has an efficacy of zero.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    While that is true almost nobody walks around in those.
    More often are cloth masks that don't even cover the nose which totally suck.

18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It's was a swing at the anti vax conspiracy nuts man...

19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Small and petty.

Florida trying to block money Biden sent to school districts fined for mask mandates

Days after the Biden administration reimbursed two Florida school districts whose board members lost their salaries for mandating masks for students, the state's top education official is trying to strip the districts of the money.

In a series of memoranda, Florida Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran recommended Monday that the Florida Board of Education, which meets Thursday, withhold "state funds in an amount equal to any federal grant funds awarded" to districts that defy Gov. Ron DeSantis' ban on school mask requirements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/10/06/idaho-lieutenant-governor-executive-order/

Idaho Republican Gov. Brad Little left the state Tuesday. His second-in-command — empowered with executive authority in his absence — used that power to pick an old fight.

As acting governor, Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin (R) issued an executive order Tuesday afternoon banning state officials from requiring covid-19 “vaccine passports” from new or current employees. Little quickly promised to undo McGeachin’s order as soon as he returned from touring the U.S.-Mexico border with a group of fellow Republican governors.