Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I will respectfully disagree on the meaning of "approved" and when I was watching the press conference I took it to mean the drug was "approved" for human use, a process that takes considerable time. So you wouldn't need to wait for that approval before you could start trying it to treat COVID-19. I agree with your other points.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Look at what the DOJ wants to do with due process. Oops, I typed KGB and it came out DOJ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Looks like the Trump DOJ led by Bill Barr is trying to expand Trump's power and it is up to the Democrats to stop it.

The federal courts are open and, in Florida state and federal courts, bail etc. are essential hearings. The overruling of Korematsu makes clear that this is illegal.

The DOJ requests — which are unlikely to make it through a Democratic-led House — span several stages of the legal process, from initial arrest to how cases are processed and investigated.

5. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Honest to God, this is setting up to be post 911 on steroids. Wonder what cute name they will come up for this one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    No they are not. Every single one of them said do not use without doctor supervision and they weren't without their own risk (which could be fatal). I guess you just read what you want to though. My post wasn't intended to bash Trump, just to pump the breaks that we've found a safe "cure".

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    For those in the legal world, former federal prosecutor, publisher of above the law.com and 44-year old marathoner, David Lat, was placed on a ventilator and is in critical condition. He has exercise induced asthma that is complicating his recovery.

As he wrote on his blog when he was on supplemental oxygen, “This virus didn’t come to play. It came to slay.”

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    That would be the White House, not GC. Amazed at how people can claim dissenting opinions not allowed and yet support someone who fires everyone who tells him anything he doesn't want to hear.

Do you think Trump allows or even tolerates dissenting opinions? What does that tell you about him?

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That is not what FDA "approval" means. It means approval for particular purposes and in particular doses.

Again penicillin is approved for certain uses. But, not for viruses because it does not work.

Antibiotics are prescribed where there are viral infections to address secondary opportunistic bacterial infections.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Well, it's not like they would attach this crap this to some must pass 3000 page bailout bill.

11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We are past that now.

Taken care of in post 2709. With a link to the true age 136.

12. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    I think people's brains have shut off. Just how the hell are people going to use a prescription drug without Dr's supervision?

• Winner Winner x 3
  13. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Trump STILL has not invoked the DPA, despite expressly stating he has done so. For those keeping score, that would be another lie.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, prescription drugs are never acquired and abused in America.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Hmm...just think about it for a bit and it will come to you.

16. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Yeah, sure thing. I'm sure there are millions of chloroquine black market rings set up as we speak. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    You'd be naive as hell to think the Mexican cartels (for one) won't try to profit off of this. Will they succeed? Who knows.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    moving that goalpost...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Consider the costs | Spectator USA

Less than 24 hours after California governor Gavin Newsom closed ‘non-essential’ businesses and ordered Californians to stay inside to avoid spreading the coronavirus, New York governor Andrew Cuomo followed suit. ‘This is about saving lives,’ Cuomo said during a press conference on Friday. ‘If everything we do saves just one life, I’ll be happy.’

Cuomo’s assertion that saving ‘just one life’ justifies an economic shutdown raises questions that have not been acknowledged, much less answered, as public officials across the country compete to impose ever more draconian anti-virus measures....

Pace Cuomo, it is not the case that saving even one life justifies any and every policy. Decision-making is always about trade-offs. About 16,000 Americans are murdered each year. That number could be radically lowered by locking up known gangbangers and throwing away the key. The left in America, however, is on a crusade to empty the prisons and stop enforcing a host of criminal laws. Some of the de-incarcerated and decriminalized will go on to maim and murder. An influential criminologist once acknowledged to me that lowering prison sentences in order to end so-called mass incarceration would inevitably mean that ‘some guy will throw a little old lady off the roof’. The answer is not to back off of de-incarceration, he said, it is to explain that the community in the aggregate is safer with resources diverted into social programs instead of incarceration. That is a perfectly defensible line of argument, regardless of whether one agrees with the particulars in this case.

Around 40,000 Americans die each year in traffic deaths. We could save not just one life but tens of thousands by lowering the speed limit to 25 miles per hour on all highways and roads. We tolerate the highway carnage because we value the time saved from driving fast more. Another estimated 40,000 Americans have died from the flu this flu season. Social distancing policies would have reduced that toll as well, but until now we have preferred freedom of association and movement.

20. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Moving what goalposts? You got some inside info where I can score me some?