Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The FDA approved the vaccinations. Who is forcing their hand? You don't think we should 'keep vaxxing people'?

2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The FDA hasn't approved the boosters yet. They are still going over data. So it's not ideal to have a start date without going over the data. I would be weary of this if it were Trump pushing as well, as I'm sure you would be. Your comments lead me to believe you didn't read the article.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The graphics show rates, though, not total counts. For instance, in the 70-79 category, Table 4 shows 22,270 positives from people who have had 2 doses of vaccine and 910 positives from people who are unvaccinated.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The headline that I quoted and responded to said 'Biden to announce that all federal workers must be vaccinated'. My comment was 'good'. It's pretty obvious what I was talking about.

5. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Tell that to my coworker who just spent 13 days in a hospital bed with the delta variant. His blood o2 dropped to 83%. He's home now, but still on oxygen. He's in his 40s, thin, eats healthy, no comorbidities. I'm sure he'll take solace from knowing that the data says it's nothing to worry about. I'm sure he can take comfort in this in the coming weeks/months as he waits for his lungs to recover.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Right but some reports have north of 95% with antibodies in the UK and 80% vaxxed on top of that. I think this just makes the numbers sorta off and likely not something we can draw conclusions on in places with much lower vax and antibody rates.

7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami-Dade schools community in mourning after deaths of 3 educators – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale

I know this was posted earlier, but I can't help but think that vaccine hesitancy coupled with thinking masks will protect them caused this. I wish they were vaccinated, because most likely all would still be alive, BUT I feel the continued push that Masks work very well also caused this. These people were overweight, so they were already at heightened risk. We can't continue to preach that masks work, because they don't. These teachers shouldn't have been teaching in person without the vaccine. I'm fine mandating the vaccine for those who don't have antibodies and are adults. Still don't want kids mandated until full FDA approval.

8. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    All due respect, we don't know, definitively, what it takes to be considered "healthy" with respect to fighting COVID. In my circles, the focus was on Vitamin D level, supplements (specifically D, C, Zinc, and at least one more), and maintaining an active lifestyle. Can't say for certain if those things apply to everybody or even to every variant, but I think we should be cautious to presume a healthy disposition just the same because we don't know what factors that person had that may have led to them ending up in the hospital. We know certain things get more pub than others, but we don't seem to hear much about what successful treatments are working out better than others and/or if there are certain markers that yield more favorable results than others that may reflect a less obvious form of "health" with respect to fighting the virus.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    My point was more that it's meaningless for someone to point to an aggregated statistic and say it's "safe" for someone who is deemed "healthy". It's all a game of percentages. Maybe your percentage is low, but you're still rolling the dice. Some people strike me as being overly cavalier with something that can have SEVERE effects if you roll snake eyes.

Edit: Why did this post trigger moderator appoval?

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Pure selfishness. It’s not just about you. It’s about everyone.

• Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll say this, I agree with Q on the "young and healthy" part (where health is a product of activity and hitting certain vitamin levels, almost always through supplementation). The way that children have fared throughout this pandemic has been a testament to this. I think things get hazier when it comes to adults and what constitutes "healthy." You certainly wouldn't look at me and think "healthy eater." I think there's a lot more to it than size and eating habits. Our pediatrician is fine with expressing that "healthy kids don't need to worry about COVID." I understand if others don't feel the same way (which is why I always go back to TRUST YOUR OWN DOCTOR more than you do any comments you read on here...including mine :) ).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Take the "vaccine" and deal with your own life, but don't worry about the rest of us... and you shouldn't becasue you are vaccinated.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The reason children have fared better with COVID is their immune systems are designed to fight every bacteria and virus as novel. Their T-cells are naïve, and attack anything and everything with gusto. While a kid's immune system is doing this, it is also building a database of T-cells with memories, so the next time the child encounters the same pathogen, it can attack it more efficiently. The plus side of naïve T-cells is it attacks novel pathogens quickly. The down side is it take a ton of energy to do so.

As this article explains, as we grow older, the number of naïve T-cells we make dwindles. By the time we reach 40, we have very few, or none at all. But what we do have is a large database that can usually quickly and efficiently attack any pathogen we encounter. Problem is, however, when we encounter something novel like COVID-19. Fortunately, novel viruses like COVID-19 are rare. Unfortunately, they can cause a pandemic when they do hit.

The Delta variant is infecting more kids because of how fast Delta replicates itself. It multiplies fast enough to even beat many children's T-cell responses. But still not fast enough, thankfully, to cause the most severe of outcomes any more than the original, wild type of COVID.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Hope he gets better. It stinks when we have to deal with the rough realities of life. The data speaks for itself. If you want to live in fear of Covid the rest of your life…by all means. There are things you can do to minimize your risk if you are high risk. Just like for all the other dangers in life. Many of those dangers are more likely to cause problems than Covid. And like I said…of course some are still going to deal with this terrible virus that statistically are at little risk. That is called Life!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Right. Everyone out their spreading delta with their vaccine. Or just a group that might be making health decisions you don’t agree with?

:rolleyes:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Well said.

17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Sometimes the filters glitch. We try to catch it and approve right away. That's probably what happened.

18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    The fact that you someone cannot even understand the definition of vaccine pretty much disqualifies that person from all serious discussion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just got in from work and watched the president's announcement requiring all companies with 100 or more employees to have vaccinations - or test negative each week.

Found an article dated July 29, requiring the same of Federal government employees with this caveat:

"The Biden administration on Thursday said it will require all federal employees and onsite contractors to attest their vaccination status or be subject to masking, social distancing and COVID-19 testing requirements."

I wonder if we now have the same requirements for both Federal employees.....as the one he just announced today for all companies with 100 or more employees.

Anyone know?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It my understanding the Biden will announce that all federal employees and federal contractors will be required to be vaccinated. No more 'testing out'

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1