Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Alachua County numbers dropped again over the weekend:

Total adult hospitalizations: 304 (down 32.9% from peak on 8/20, lowest since published tracking began on 8/5)
    Total adult ICU: 114 (down 31.7% from peak on 8/18, was 112 when published tracking began on 8/5)
    Pediatric hospitalizations: 5 (lowest since published tracking began on 8/5)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 5
  2. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Thanks for the visual, the 2020 line is entirely above your blue line while the 2019 is entirely below it. That’s what I was trying to explain to you. I see you get it now. Above the blue line is 1400+, below the line is 1400 and below.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for confirming you have no idea how to read a chart. You just verified it for everyone. Congrats.

4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But if he keeps repeating you are wrong for long enough, then he wins?

It would be fascinating to sit down with him and learn what he thinks these comments are accomplishing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Then teach me. What am I missing. Unlike you I’m open to learning.

6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Agreed. The irony is I don’t disagree entirely. I don’t believe the correlation to the huge increase and when shut downs went into effect is a crazy coincidence. I’m however unwilling to blame them entirely by ignoring the rest of the data. That’s just dumb, yet that’s how it’s always presented.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm wondering the same thing with your article you won't take down. Wonder why you continue to keep a post up that's a lie. But hey, I see you tried to ignore that issue.

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When someone uses generalizations like you just did, that usually means they have no answer. I see you were just being argumentative. I posted a chart showing the number of OD's skyrocketing last year and all anyone wants to do is NOT draw parallels to when the shutdowns happened. It shows the bias of many on here. If you want to have a discussion, i'm all for it, but when you get snarky, don't be surprised when i reply back in kind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    OR(A, B, C, D). A is not true. A not being true doesn't mean that OR(A, B, C, D) is also not true. For OR(A, B, C, D) to not be true, we would have to show that all four hospitals failed to have the experiences that the doctor shared.

One hospital that he has worked has said that he hasn't even been there in two months, so we know that A is not true. Another hospital has said that maybe it wasn't so bad as the picture he painted, but refused to say that his experiences didn't happen there. We haven't heard from the other two hospitals yet.

10. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree that this isn't a crazy coincidence, life got crazy and some people self-medicated their problems away. But I don't see how that can explain the January-March numbers, which have almost as much increase as the entire year of 2019 in just a few months. What was pushing people to self-medication before covid?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    I’m debating because you refuse to have an honest discussion. You insist lockdowns don’t work, that’s your agenda, that’s what you’re trying to work towards. I disagree with that point, therefor yes, I will argue since youre building your case with questionable data at best. Did they contribute, sure, can a conclusion be drawn that we shouldn’t have had shut downs because of it? No. The reason why is because they were trending up before the lockdowns. As high of a trend, likely not, but we’ll never know their true impact regardless of how many charts you provide because we don’t have a no shut down US to compare it to. My conclusion is more people would have died from Covid with no shut downs than people dying from ODs with shut downs. ODs also aren’t contagious and don’t put the life of me and my family at risk as the spread of Covid has, so if someone has to go, it’s the people that made that choice to themselves 100% of the time. I spoke in generalities on that particular post because you tried to claim victory when I broke it down pretty specifically despite your inability to tell me where I went wrong, yet I’m the one just looking for an argument?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL. Maybe not as bad as he said? That was the WHOLE point of the article getting blasted all over the internet. Because they had "handful of cases"? It's truly embarrassing that you are still defending this article. Keep dying on that hill I guess.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    How many cases do you think it takes to overload a rural hospital's ER?

14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes OD's were trending higher before the lockdowns, but the increase was extreme once the lockdowns happened. That isn't a coincidence. You and others can choose to not believe lockdowns have repercussions, but that's not what I believe. CA doesn't have much of a difference than FL and the two states had drastically different ways of dealing with Covid. Let alone FL is the 4th oldest state and CA is the 5th youngest state and we are battling a virus that mainly only attacks the older population.

You lied in your statement that: "This is a tragedy, and has nothing to do with COVID." Maybe just correct now admitted lie and move on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    His need to 'win' arguments is pathological.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    I know I won't be able to get through to him, but I always want to leave a correction so those following along at home are getting good information.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    If Florida had California's death rate, there would be more than 10K less deaths in Florida. That isn't "not much of a difference." And that is likely an underestimation, as Florida likely has had far more deaths than are in the numbers right now, as it takes them a month to catch up and their current death rates are much higher than California's.

18. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    While we’re o. The subject of lying, where did I go wrong reading your chart? You were pretty adamant about it and really have no case without it. Please, since you’re so sincere, what does the chart say that I don’t see? Also, that quote wasn’t me.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just show me where these "handful of cases" have overwhelmed any hospital or ambulances. That was the main point of the article. Maybe a good idea not to post something that doesn't have any data to back it up. No comments from any hospital system in the article. Wonder why.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I see you are overlooking FL has a significantly older population. See that part wasn't mentioned. Wonder why?

• Funny Funny x 1