Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I'd be fine with that, as an allowed exception, if there were a practical way of proving it. The issue is that there aren't exceptions for other vaccine requirements for "natural immunity".

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You want people to be creative and try to reason with these folks? o_O
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The posters in Too Hot for Swamp Gas are probably not charged with vaccine promotion and distribution. Too many people are playing this "poor me" act. Anti-vaxxers are not the victims.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Antibody tests are pretty accurate I believe. And much batter efficacy compared to someone who has had the vaccine. I’m fine with mandating the vaccine OR natural immunity IF the vaccine is fully approved.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Right. So you have to wear mask at home so selfish delta bravos can exercise their freedoms.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Dogs should wear masks so they don’t catch covid

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    If nobody left home, there would be little spread. It is when people get into vicinity of many others that odds increase. With Delta the exposure doesn't have to be prolonged. You exposure probability per unit of time is far greater exposed to dozens of people vs a few at home.

Yes wearing it at home may buy you a little incremental protection but at some point it is overkill.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    My sister lost an 18 year old patient today. She was overweight and had asthma. Unvaxxed. She coded 3 times before her mother made the decision to finally let go. That was a rough one.

A positive note is that the patient volume is half that of the previous week so we are probably experiencing a sharp decline. Thank Jobu for that at least.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    If nobody left home traffic accidents would fall to zero, we all are trying to negotiate the proper balance between safety and risk. If everyone who could, was vaccinated, the calculation would be easier and better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To me the burden of proof should roll the other way. There needs to be proof that natural immunity is not a significant factor. Asking local doctors, I consistently hear "no known reinfections." With some scattered "suspected reinfections" mixed in.

COVID-19 reinfection tracker

"Known" reinfection rate: 0.0001%
    "Suspected" reinfection rate: 0.045%

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There are huge studies showing natural immunity is better than not being infected and having 2 doses of any of the vaccines. That's not up for debate. Basically anyone who has a positive PCR test or a positive antibody test should be good to go, in fact they are significantly better protected than someone like me, who hasn't had covid yet has both Pfizer shots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Alachua County stats for 9/3 census:

337 active COVID hospitalizations (down 25.6% from peak on 8/20)
    118 active COVID ICU (down 29.3% from peak on 8/18)
    7 active COVID pediatric hospitalizations (down from peak of 16 on 8/27)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 4
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    In published studies, the reinfection rate is higher than what is posted about, but still well below 1%. The numbers that I have seen are closer to 0.3%. Regardless, through the first year, reinfection seems extremely rare.

Here is one well organized, published study.

Assessment of SARS-CoV-2 Reinfection 1 Year After Primary Infection in a Population in Lombardy, Italy

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    I’d agree with this. Much of it comes from “a little information can be dangerous” angle. Specially for paramedics and nurses. Many think they know more than they really do. Some are very task driven and very good at that but may lack some of the critical thinking skills that make for a more well rounded medic or nurse. And surprisingly I have seen some docs that fall into that category too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Large, real-world mask study out of Bangladesh shows mask efficacy. Regular surgical masks were handed out in certain areas in Bangladesh, (note, not N-95 masks), and researchers tracked usage and compared COVID cases to non-masked areas. About 30% of participants used a masked regularly and properly, and it resulted in a ~10% reduction in COVID cases.

Probably the largest, real-world sample to date, and while 10% doesn't seem like a huge number, it's a lot better than nothing. That's 10% less in the hospital, and 10% less in the morgue. And that number could potentially increase if more than 30% wore masks properly and every time they left their homes. No, masks won't stop the spread, but masks again, have shown they can slow down the spread.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The grocery store is one of the last places you will pick this up. It is right behind running outside or going to the beach. This thing mainly spreads in enclosed spaces where an infected person is for an extended time. Hence work, Small bars or dive restaurants, And large group events are the places people typically pick the thing up and bring it home. And I can only think of one large indoor arena situation where it felt like there could have been a lot of spread as the Lightening championship game felt like it may have been a spreading event. The outside stuff seems to be of little to no risk.

It is pure theater to wear a mask at these stores (Publix/Wallmart/etc). And the situations that do spread the virus. The mask is basically pointless because you will be around the virus long enough to get it if you are going to get it. Like home.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    In that study, they appear to be assessing specifically 1 year after primary infection. That's still a pretty good number, though. And within that study, only 20% of the reinfections were hospitalized (i.e. 1 out of 5). I just think that this angle not being talked about more makes people skeptical of the vax vs. no-vax approach. There are too many people that have already had COVID for this not to be taken into consideration. And people who have had it are still being pushed to get vaccinated (why?).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Look man. This is frustrating to everyone. I appreciate your willingness to even admit this and ftr you aren't one that came to my mind.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1