Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope. Posted what they said. Just because you don’t agree with what they said doesn’t make it not true.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You are interpreting their statements to mean "delta isn’t more dangerous to kids than the other variants". That isn't what they actually said.

3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Here is a direct quote;

"There is no evidence that the Delta variant is causing more severe disease than previous strains, says Dr. Sean O’Leary, vice chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) committee on infectious diseases.“

I’m sure you will be apologizing shortly…

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    And how does that interact with rising numbers of cases?

When a child gets infected with delta, they aren't any more likely to get severe disease because of it than if they had been infected with a different strain. The difference is that they are much more likely to be getting infected with delta than with other strains because it is more transmissible. (it is in the next paragraph after the O'Leary quote, in the Time article you posted)

If you qualify your statement to say that delta isn’t more dangerous to kids than the other variants once they've contracted the disease, I wouldn't disagree. And neither would Dr. O'Leary.

5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dude, you just got called out on you making up crap about me. And now you want to move the goalposts? Just admit it and move on.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    What goalposts did I move?

7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I said I was misinterpreting the statements. I am not. The head of the cdc said most pediatric hospitalizations are for RSV, not covid. The CDC has the data so I would assume the head of the cdc would be know what data she is quoting. You called me out for saying I didn’t understand what they were saying. I provided that info.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Now that is goal post moving. You switched from the AAP to the CDC here without acknowleding that you mis-interpreted the quote from Dr. Sean O’Leary, vice chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).

9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I mentioned both. You need to learn to read better. That’s on you. Embarrassing that I posted the quote and you still are saying I misinterpreted it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    I claimed that you mis-interpreted both. You only provided one quote and it confirmed that you were understanding the words incorrectly. Or just didn't care what the words said as long as you got a chance to turn them into what you wanted them to be. Potato, pohtahto ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was just pointing out the difference for those following along at home.

11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dude, I didn’t misinterpret anything. Their quotes are crystal clear to anyone who doesn’t have an agenda. I can tell you do, especially after being called out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
  13. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Those who are following along at home can see what you said Dr. O'Leary meant, and what he actually said, and the difference between those two things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, for those following along at home can see what I posted that the CDC director and the vice chair of the AAP said. I guess some people refuse to believe what they read. Anyone who is arguing this is either ignorant or a troll. Still figuring out which one you are.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Delta may not be any more dangerous to kids percentage wise, but even the AAP is acknowledging the significant rise is pediatric COVID cases. From the link.

As of August 26, nearly 4.8 million children have tested positive for COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic. About 204,000 cases were added the past week, marking the second week with child cases at the level of the winter surge of 2020-21. After declining in early summer, child cases have increased exponentially, with over a five-fold increase the past month, rising from about 38,000 cases the week ending July 22nd to nearly 204,000 the past week.
    If this exponential rise continues, more kids will be infected, more will end up in the hospital, and more will die. Nothing definitive showing Delta is more contagious among children, but the meteoric rise in cases plus the rise in pediatric hospitalizations show very strong indications.

By the way, the AAP, along with the CDC, recommendeds all kids 12 and older should be vaccinated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just one question. If the Delta variant isn't any more transmissible than previous variants which you seem to imply and isn't any more likely to produce severe cases than the other variants, which is probably accurate, what explains the significant increase in the number of cases especially among children and younger unvaccinated adults? Maybe it's just me but the facts seem to indicate that it is far more transmissible.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Simple. They are testing a boatload of kids compared to prior months.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No, delta is more transmissible.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Florida now at 44,553 covid deaths. By my calculations Florida has averaged around 280 deaths per day over the last 12 days.

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Are they also testing kids into pediatric ICU wards and filling them up? Stories like this from N. Carolina, Florida, and Arizona cannot be blamed on testing. Nor should we blame RSV. Under normal conditions, in the US, RSV does not fill up pediatric ICU wards like we are experiencing now. Before COVID, 99% of pediatric RSV hospitalizations occurred in developing countries. Something else is at work here, and that something is COVID-19.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1