Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Preaching and posting about karma and darwinism doesnt sound like indifference. You have an issue over snarkiness, sure. But indifference? How many children lose their fathers everyday in the US? or the world? How can one not be indifferent?

What are you doing to help those 4 children you said lost their father?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Why not just be indifferent towards him?

3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The indifference is not so much their views, which they are entitled to, but their arrogance and hostility in spreading them such that they cause others to follow. Not only that they have prolonged this pandemic and made it worse than it otherwise had to be.

At some level they are no different than fentenyl dealers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I've no problem with that. These comments are addressing the laugh emojis and nasty comments that pervade every death of someone not vaccinated. I'm frustrated by antivaxxers and relatively indifferent about some, not all of their deaths. I'm not joyous, mocking or righteous about any of them however.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Asking what I am doing for total strangers in another state is a weird comeback to my frustration about dancing on graves.

But since you asked, my wife and I give to all sorts of organizations aimed at orphan ministry and children left in just such situations.

I worked for one such non profit for years and currently work for one combating the affordable housing crisis in our community. I do it 40 hours a week.

My compassion for such things is pretty consuming, so I take callousness to heart.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tilly

Dealers know they are wrong and are seeking profit on the corpses of others.
    Most deniers are genuinely convinced they are right. They are not intentionally endangering their loved ones.

I know some of these people. One family in particular. Misguided and factually ignorant? Yes, but also people that in general terms devote their lives to others. They adopted 4 children out of poverty and abuse and would give you or any other stranger, the shirts off their backs.

Far from drug dealers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    are you saying that dancing on Graves is the indifference that disgusts you? Because dancing on Graves doesn't sound indifferent to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. tilly

I agree and mixed the two, but in thinking about it, indifference to a lost husband and father is pretty sad as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

So we had a teacher who was obviously made the incredibly stupid decision to go to work while showing symptoms. If you keep telling people that masking kids is protective, then some teachers will show up to work sick and infect kids wearing masks. This article to me shows masks don’t work. If they did, the kids wouldn’t have gotten covid.

So this is the CDC’s best case study for masking? 55% of the kids got covid while all were masked?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I am referring to the ones who willfully spread and propogate the info on a significant scale. Because they believe it doesn't excuse it. All the information is readily there. They choose to ignore it.

I have some relatives that are anti vax too. Good people otherwise.

There is a difference in indifference, and dancing on the graves of these people, as they often had family.

As to this 30 year old, left 2 kids and a stay at home wife. He failed at taking care of his family, instead opting to forward and go all in on his "beliefs". Now others will have to pick up the slack to support them. In cases such as that, maintaining indifference is a struggle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    My Grandma was admitted to the ER today with another PE. She is doing OK but I pray she doesn't leave with COVID. She is 83 and vaccinated and just got done with cancer treatment.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Masking didn't work because the teacher sometimes took off her mask to read. Also, clearly protocols to prevent sick teachers were lacking. And if nobody had masks perhaps it would have spread more.

Masking by itself, without proper social distancing, near universal adherence and other protocol adherence is likely of limited effectiveness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Your coment shows me that you, along with so many other people continue to be ignorant about mask use. Masks reduce spread FROM infected people. If this dip stick would have been wearking a mask, there may have been significant reduction in the spread.

It is sad that people seem to want to purposefully forget data because they are so swept up in emotions of anti-mask, anti-vaxx politics. Too bad.

Absence of Apparent Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from Two Stylists...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 4
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is consistent with the common point of view that some people only want to take action if it readily benefits them. The benefits of a mask are more effective at preventing a sick person spreading the disease than preventing you from getting it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It was never going to happen.

Also think if we knew the vaccine would wane and fail the way it has based on how it was sold to the public and instead been focused on the next generation of vaccine.

Let’s hope the mass roll out to everyone does not hinder the advancement of the next generation of vaccines. As they are going to be necessary. And from afar it feels the mass rollout might slow that advancement as they are already working on it.

That said…the good news is that healthy people for the most part will be fine. It is those who have underlying issues that need to be concerned.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Or how about we use common sense and don’t come to work when sick? A lot of excuses here for a simple solution. Still zero RCT studies that show masks work. Everyone Vax up and do without the theatrics of masks.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

That tells you nothing. That’s what’s funny. CDC clinging to one off anecdotes and not taking about the WI and NC school studies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    What a crock of shit. Does he mean the religious folk terrified of boys kissing, legal drugs, legal prostitution, legal gambling of having their guns & bibles taken? These whiny, scared babies & their utter BS of "I'm a freedom fighter" & "people just need to not live in fear" spend their lives fighting freedom & spend their lives living in fear.

p.s. I bet the freedom fighter unfearful gov is out fighting this....

"Idaho, South Carolina and Mississippi still require people who were convicted of consensual sodomy before the Supreme Court’s decision in Lawrence to register as sex offenders, Strugar said, even though the court said what they did wasn’t a crime."

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Eric Clapton has come out in favor of Covid transmission. Apparently he had a bad experience from his vaccine, so he is against the vaccine. He will only do concerts where the unmasked and unvaccinated are allowed to attend.

Eric Clapton's Anti-Vaccine Diatribe Blames 'Propaganda' for 'Disastrous' Experience

O.k., so the vaccine wasn't so nice to you. Maybe a lifetime of drug addictions is going to cause a reaction with the vaccine. Why blame medical science for a possible reaction in a former heroin addict? Why condemn the rest of society to a longer time to defeat Covid (possibly requiring you to get a booster shot or two over the next couple of years)? It's called "taking one for the team". Not to mention the logical conclusion that if your reaction to the vaccine was this bad, your reaction to Covid without the vaccine might have been fatal. Show some courage, man. Love your music, don't like your thinking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1