Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Responding to @vaxcardinal and you:

There may be some support if the Spanish flu is analogized. This looks anecdotal, but I cant see how it is not a good idea to get fresh air.

Put simply, medics found that severely ill flu patients nursed outdoors recovered better than those treated indoors. A combination of fresh air and sunlight seems to have prevented deaths among patients; and infections among medical staff.[1] There is scientific support for this. Research shows that outdoor air is a natural disinfectant. Fresh air can kill the flu virus and other harmful germs. Equally, sunlight is germicidal and there is now evidence it can kill the flu virus.

Doctors who had first-hand experience of open-air therapy at the hospital in Boston were convinced the regimen was effective. It was adopted elsewhere. If one report is correct, it reduced deaths among hospital patients from 40 per cent to about 13 per cent.

Patients treated outdoors were less likely to be exposed to the infectious germs that are often present in conventional hospital wards. They were breathing clean air in what must have been a largely sterile environment. We know this because, in the 1960s, Ministry of Defence scientists proved that fresh air is a natural disinfectant.[5] Something in it, which they called the Open Air Factor, is far more harmful to airborne bacteria — and the influenza virus — than indoor air. They couldn’t identify exactly what the Open Air Factor is. But they found it was effective both at night and during the daytime.

Their research also revealed that the Open Air Factor’s disinfecting powers can be preserved in enclosures — if ventilation rates are kept high enough. Significantly, the rates they identified are the same ones that cross-ventilated hospital wards, with high ceilings and big windows, were designed for.[6] But by the time the scientists made their discoveries, antibiotic therapy had replaced open-air treatment. Since then the germicidal effects of fresh air have not featured in infection control, or hospital design. Yet harmful bacteria have become increasingly resistant to antibiotics.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Go to US scroll down until you see Now or Yesterday option and choose yesterday. I am on a PC maybe a phone doesnt show that I will check if it does.

4. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It's shows the total accurately. Today is 324, yesterday was 256 total. That's 68 people that died today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Information is power. We lack information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Nope that number is nonsense for a few hours not sure what causes that but you hit that yesterday option and you will see the 46 deaths and that is the chart recorded for todays cutoff time of 8pm for that day and the official numbers . Its late when the charts and stuff are organized.

Make sure you are clicking US first also before scrolling to yesterday option.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Selection favirs a virus that doesn't kill the host.... too quickly. If it's immediately too harmful to the host, it doesn't have time or opportunity to spread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I'll just have to believe you for now but I'm not sure why they would put an inaccurate number up today (that is higher than it should be). I'll check back later and see if it's updated. Hopefully you are right.

9. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Information is nice, we don’t even have knowledge. My mom has worked at Emory in the pediatrics division for 20 years. Numerous very sick children with symptoms that don’t match the flu or COVID-19 perfectly, but very close. All tested negative for both, so who knows what they have.

Talked to a pediatric pulmonologist in Orlando who said the same thing.

5 days ago we thought this only impacted the elderly/ compromised. Current data shows as many 18-64 year olds have been hospitalized than.

We don’t even have the knowledge to test what we are up against, much less organize the information as report it accurately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    tha
    that is what i thought. So, slowing spread and being behind other counrties is better.

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Which is why everyone who gets sick needs to be tested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    BETS? Just about everything that person posts is a bad look. I don't understand why people even reply.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That link is telling me 69 new deaths for the US today, with 49 yesterday. Somebody check my math here, but 69 is more than 49, which makes it look like the number of deaths is increasing rather than decreasing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

Crazy canceling all that work when most hospitals will not even have an inpatient corona virus case at it.

16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No one knows. The numbers are only up because testing is. We have ZERO clue if the actual cases are yet to peak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I think we did if we get another number around 50 tomorrow under that 57. That will have been the real peak of cases imo. Now with the cases maybe if NY can dig up a ton more to test or CA starts testing minor cases also that new daily case number top could maybe be passed for up to a week or so.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. tilly

The numbers are currently messed up on that site. They will hava an accurate number when the graphs coe out.

One page actually says this:
    Another says 69, and yet another is in the 40's. I think it takes an hour or two to get all the data corrected for the previous day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. tilly

We are burying the lead here though guys. There is good news in these numbers.

Remember how they were telling us we would see double and triple like every day? We are not seeing that.
    The numbers are staying relatively similar. from one day to the next. Some experts were saying we could see 50 deaths on day one, and 100 on day two and 200 on day 4 and 400 on day 5 compounding over and over, and we are not seeing that. Perhaps this is a sign that this is all working. Maybe it means we don't have the catastrophe that some feared.

regardless, that is soe decent news. The numbers are not compounding as much as feared, and that is with more testing helping "inflate" the numbers that we previously were seeing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tilly

We knew it impacted the young and healthy. That is why we stopped playing sports.
    It just isn't really killing them. It is killing almost exclusively older or already compromised persons.