Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Do you consider the creation of the automobile to be a failure because some break down?

Do you consider the creation of the wheel to be a failure because some go flat?

Do you consider the creation blood pressure meds to be failures because some people have heart attacks?

Do you consider the creation of the airplane to be a failure because some flights get delayed?

Do you consider Steve Spurrier and Billy Donavan as failures because they lost some games?

Your standard is unrealistic and self made. No one expects a 100% full proof vaccine. Especially against variants that can't be predicted...but the Vaccine is winning a lot more games than its losing.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    10%?

3. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Dude were talking about the vaccine and it not working as well as it was sold to the public. So are those who already caught covid, winning alot more than losing

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Just saw that Gov. Abbott has it.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. tilly

Yes. Vaccinated people who catch covid and remain healthier than their un-vaccinated counterparts are winning.

Again. You mentioned talking to people at the hospital...which I doubt you have...ask them how many vaccinated people are being admitted. Ask them how many vaccinated people are dying.

Go ahead. Ask them.
    We have a conservative...in this thread...on the front lines in a hospital telling you that you are dead wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Except vaccines arent killing people or hospitalizing them

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Not going to change his mind. He claimed that meat and dairy cause obesity and diabetes. He disagreed with my rebuttal which was that moderation and common sense eating prevents both of those. How does anyone disagree with that? I do not adhere to any diets. I don't count calories per se but am aware of how many calories are in a meal particularly when eating out. I usually make it a point to eat half of my meal when eating out and saving the rest for another meal since they are typically so calorie dense. I dont restrict myself from any pleasure but I do not make them a daily event. If I eat particularly bad due to a social function I clean it up the day before or after. I have been blessed with good genetics which I think helps but my labs have most always been perfect and the only time in life they werent was when I lived in eastern Oregon and fell victim to eating restaurant crap everyday and excercising little to none due to the weather and lack of gyms. I reeled it in pretty quickly through moderation of diet and regular exercise which was common sense to me.

Tying this into covid, it did seem like the first wave affected obese people more. The patients I have seen this go around don't really support any one specific body type or even age for that matter. While I'm not collecting data on the patients I see they have been thin, overweight, young, old, healthy and immunodeficient. It is why I eventually got the vaccine even though I contracted covid and suffered no significant effects the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Iceland has the 4th highest vaccination rate in the world and yes they do count breakthrough cases. But they also prove that the vaccines work because Iceland also has the lowest death rate of any country. In fact, they haven't recorded a single virus death since May.

Iceland reported 2,847 new infections over the past month, mostly from the Delta variant, and mostly from vaccinated people. Yet, only 3% are hospitalized with no deaths since May 25th.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    How is this not hacking it?
    FB_IMG_1629235709851.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. tilly

And I support your right not to get it.
    I haven't even gotten my second shot yet. (1 more week).

I just don't support you saying the things you are saying pulled from your hind quarters.

I mean you told me to ask people at the hospital, when those very people will blow up your claims.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tilly

Hope he is OK. He has been vaxed I believe.

12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Roughly 10% of the US has natural immunities. That ain't gonna hack it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    No vaccine in the history of mankind has ever been 100% effective. NONE. Not a single one. ZERO. There were still breakthrough cases with the polio vaccine. Still breakthrough cases with smallpox vaccine. Still breakthrough cases with the measles vaccine. Are they all failures too?

You want the impossible. The vaccines were sold as being at best, 95% effective from stopping breakthrough cases against the wild type, and 99%+ effective from stopping people from dying from COVID. Delta changed the game because it spread and copies so fast. But still, the vaccine has proven to be still 99%+ effective at stopping people from dying from COVID. How this is considered a failure is beyond me. Do you want vaccines to work like magic? Sorry, but needles aren't magic wands and science doesn't work this way.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    That dude's covid takes are a shame on humanity. What an embarrassment. I'm confident that the triple facepalm was specially designed for that poster's covid hot takes.
    [​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    For the 10% we are kicking ass

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Disagree with your last comment, at least here in Gainesville a lot of those were already vaccinated

17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The phase, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good," comes to mind. Is the COVID vaccine perfect in stopping all infections? No. Has it done a heck of a lot of good? Absolutely!

Even the best vaccine, the measles vaccine, is only 97% effective. Measles, like the delta variant of COVID, is so virulent, that the measles vaccine requires 90%+ of the population to have immunity to reach her immunity levels. Drop below 90%, and outbreaks of measles happen. And yes, that means there are breakthrough cases, and even a few vaccinated get the disease!

That's not a failure of the vaccine. That's a failure of people who fail to do the right thing and get vaccinated. The anti-vaxx people are the problem, and the failure is on their hands. If they simply rolled up their respective sleeves, we'd all be better off.

But at about 51% of the population fully vaccinated, even if you add the 10% with natural immunity, that's not enough to beat the wild type of COVID, which needed an estimated 70% of the population to reach herd levels. With delta, which spreads as quickly as measles, the estimate is now 90%.

So, if we are to reach herd immunity, and assuming natural immunity is equivalent to vaccine immunity, we need another 20% to either get fully vaccinated or to catch COVID and either die or survive with natural immunity. And 20% of the population is twice the amount of people who already had COVID.

• Winner Winner x 3
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The trends appear to be stable. Countries with high vax rates are experiencing less severe illness and vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Don't tell the 600k+ that didn't survive the attempt.

Regardless 10% immunity won't slow anything down

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Are implying that the 600,000 had covid previously? How many of them had pre-existing conditions?
    How many of them were elderly?
    How many of them were obese?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1