Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Mask away for the public to see if...:cool::confused:o_O:devil::D

And I suggest you not smoke as well. Though I do own a lot of MO stock. If I am going to pay for their vice via higher insurance premiums...I at least will cut into that with a solid dividend yield. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

But it isn't. One, we would have to know what the spread would look like with no masks.
    We don't have that data.

Duke put out very concrete data about droplets.

Again. They are by no means the end all that some claim. But they do have an impact.

There simply is not any data that says they have NO impact.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Why would I? Covid is not in my car or in my home. When I go out, I seek to minimize opportunity to pick it up and bring it home. Similarly, I only lock the entry doors to my house, not the interior ones.

With your logic, I guess we just should remove border protection from the actual border, and have them wander the country, looking for people trying to enter illegally?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Again...the impact of human behavior is far more damaging than they couple of droplets that might remain in the air by wearing a nonN95 mask. People actually think they work. And because of that end up in circumstances that will spread the virus. The data is quite clear. If we want to N95 everyone and measure all of our faces and wear N95s properly. Then I could see a benefit. Outside that...these masks are nothing but political theater.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Really. You believe that wearing a mask will keep you from getting it and bringing it home?

Okay...

6. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    No, it is one out of a collection of behaviors of avoiding opportunity for infection, which together will keep me from getting it and bringing it home.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

There are real tests out there. This is the Duke one.
    Yeah. Many people wear gaiters, or bandanas, and those are harmful at best....
    BUT...the study showed that cotton and standard surgical masks worked well.

What does work:
    What does not work:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Can someone please fact check this for me? Thanks!

US. Organizations where mandatory vaccination is not required from employees:

1. The US White House
    2. CDC (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
    3. FDA (Food and Drug Administration)
    4. WHO
    5. Pfizer
    6. Moderna
    7. Johnson & Johnson

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    The only political theater at play is the one that your cohort keep alive by perpetuating this myth. Just stop. We all hate masks, we all want the world to get back to normal. Stop playing for the team that is literally just manipulating the idea of freedom during a PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS. This isn't about republicans, democrats, communism, capitalism or whatever else.

The irony that you even mention the words human behavior...if you and yours got a) vaccinated b) wore masks c) would have just stayed home as much as possible for 2 months we would likely not be where we are in this moment.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  10. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend

Apr 29, 2007
    Pfizer does. Not sure about the others

Pfizer to require U.S. workers receive COVID-19 vaccine or regular tests

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are just making this stuff up. You have no evidence for anything you are saying. At least in other posts you provide some random dentist who deems himself a covid expert.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    This is such bad logic and bad faith it's not even funny.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    Hospitals are under severe stress in Central Florida right now. I wouldn't wish for anyone to be in the hospital under normal circumstances but right now with the way staffing is stretched to the breaking point you will definitely not be getting close to the normal care you would expect. We have people holding in the ER for 2-3 days which is unheard of. Doctors are snapping at staff because they are under duress to discharge patients to make room and nurses are being forced to deal with families and patients who don't think they should be discharged (even though most are OK and should go). A nursing home had to close due to lack of staff and now those patients are being dumped into nearby hospitals until facilities can be found. Patient loads for nurses are running at 150 to 200% of normal. The hospital is paying up to $1500 plus overtime per extra shift for nurses and still can't keep up. Managers are having to take patients. On the plus side we anticipate this all starting to ebb by next week or so and the cases will start to fall precipitously. Also, the rate of deaths compared to earlier in the pandemic aren't as large thankfully. But as has been mentioned many times the ages of patients is still much younger.

Probably not much that people haven't already read about but this is being played out in every hospital in Central Florida right now. But there's no panic by staff just a lot of fatigue. This too shall pass.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    How do you define failure?

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    OT but canned fruits and vegetables have more vitamins than "fresh" since canned are allowed to ripen on the plant while "fresh" are usually picked green and allowed to ripen in transit

17. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Man, that has to be a crap load of stress and fatigue on the staff. Hopefully it does subside and they can get a breather soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    What I call a failure you call break through cases

19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Somehow, this seemed appropriate for this thread.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    In the car and at home I am around family members who wear masks elsewhere. If your family members are not masking up then it is likely you will be infected by them. The question then becomes do you care enough about others to wear your mask in public to help stop the spread?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1