Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Fish? That is the healthiest of all proteins

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Shits getting real in some hospitals. So a surging death count is not surprising, even if the state is trying to hide it.

3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is a point Bill Maher keeps making which I think is rather ridiculous. He Essentially asserts once Covid hit, if everybody decided to go on a crash diet, eat right and exercise, we could weather covid better. In theory, that could possibly be true, but thinking that everyone is going to come to Jesus on health matters over covid, when they are already at increased risk of diabetes, heart attack, cancer, etc is kind of laughable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Well some of you falsely believed that the vaccine and mask was going to solve this, like the flu it was never truly going to be stopped. First your experts stated the mask weren't necessary since they would be ineffective.
    Then a couple of the so called vaccines were supposed to be almost 100% effective obvious there not even close. When some of us here would provide evidence or different views about the mask or natural immunity being just as or more effective you guys just stuck your heads in the sand and in some cases just lied and tried to shame us or refused to acknowledge theses doctors, scientist and researchers were credible . So you're no different than the local libs on this Tilly, but hey you're getting those likes and fist bumps. Vaccine education , Lol vaccine education even the experts don't know how effective these truly work, but hey just get another booster you'll be fine this week until another variant pops up

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville

Read the newspaper headings, talk with your local hospital hell read so of the comments on here showing the vax is failing or for your sake not working as well on some.
    I'm not wasting my time or effort on you or anybody else. What ever info that's provided you and others refuse. Well I'm glad your a conservative still hope you stay that way, I'm also a free minded conservatives or how you described me as right winger boot licker, lol that was nice I bet you got likes for that comment

6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Early COVID counts push Hillsborough schools to consider stronger mask rules

With alarming numbers of COVID-19 cases reported in Hillsborough County public schools during the first week of classes, the School Board will hold a special meeting Wednesday to discuss additional protections against the virus.

“We’re at that place. It’s unavoidable,” board chairperson Lynn Gray said Monday. Hillsborough’s case count stood at 731 at midday, nearly 20 times higher than it was after the first week of fall classes in 2020.

As of 7 a.m., the district said 5,599 students and 316 employees were either in isolation, having tested positive for COVID-19, or in quarantine, which means they had close contact with a positive case.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    I thought it was a great idea, the problem in some cases, my hometown for example was cost. All lunches were free due to the demographics and if you saw what was given to kids to eat, you would wonder where the rest was. It was years after I graduated but I had friends who were still in my hometown as teachers, and all they had were cheap fruit from a can, usually peaches, green beans, corn, the usual stuff that can be used in bulk and doesn't stale quickly. The schools were not provided "fresh" fruits and veggies like the plan was promoting.

Great idea, but poor execution and I would say it actually hurt the less fortunate more than anyone.

8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Kentucky school district cancels classes due to COVID cases

A Kentucky school district canceled classes amid a COVID-19 outbreak Monday while the governor warned that virus-related hospitalizations appear headed toward a pandemic high as the fast-spreading delta variant causes a growing surge of infections.

Gov. Andy Beshear reported more than 6,770 new statewide coronavirus cases in the past three days and 25 more virus-related deaths — including 11 people 55 or younger.

Saying Kentucky is approaching a “critical point,” Beshear warned that the state is likely to have more COVID-19 patients hospitalized by the end of this week than at any point during the pandemic.

With hospitals filling up, it means “if you’re harmed in another way, there is less staff and maybe not even a bed for you to get the help that you need,” the governor said in a social media video.

9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Meat and dairy aren't the issue. Moderation and common sense eating is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Just got the call, my 66 year old brother passed away this morning at the Covid ward in North Fl Reginald. He was not vaccinated.

• Friendly Friendly x 17
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    No doubt cost is an issue if their structure is build around tater tots and the cheapest frozen pizzas some corporate behemoth can produce.

I have to admit I’m not really up to speed on the “execution” of it. It’s not like the federal govt was distributing food directly (not to my knowledge). I thought it was just caloric guidelines? It was still up to each school district to figure out how to deliver meals. Most, of course, will just take the cheapest and easiest route every single time. That doesn’t require any execution at all. Chili Nachos Tuesday kids!

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  13. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    So, let's restrict the diet and offer no alternatives or funding or structure/guidance for how to afford this food for schools with no budgets. I'm fine with the diet plan, but why even go down the road unless you're going to see it through. The schools with free lunch, I assume those are state funded. Did the federal government offer any funding to states to help was my point? So is the federal government again, getting involved in something they know they can't manage or see through.

It seems to me you're better off just letting the kids get a slice of pizza

14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Masks are a way to slow the spread. They are only part of the solution. Nobody ever said masks are the only solution, and still stop COVID-19.

The vaccine is the answer. But we need to reach herd immunity. With Delta being so virulent, that's estimated to be 90% of the population vaxxed. We currently sit at just over 50%. That's not going to cut it.

If you think herd immunity from a vaccine isn't the answer, please explain how we beat diseases like smallpox and polio? And remember, these vaccines weren't 100% effective at preventing breakthrough cases either.

And yes, we don't know how effective the vaccines will be a yeast after the jab. That's because that amount of time hasn't passed yet! We can predict what we think will happen, but medical research can't rely on a crystal ball, and what you want, knowing what the future holds, isn't science. That's why it's called REsearch, and not just search.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry for your loss. Losing family is tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    When unable to provide factual sources, plan B is to provide excuses. IE "not wasting my time", you "read the headlines" as if the headlines actually explain anything, read internet comments ??? really?. Is plan C the Sgt. Schultz " I know nothing" response? One of the aspects of this forum I appreciate is that almost any post claiming facts will be challenged, assessed, and countered if found lacking.

• Like Like x 2
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Those long term goals continue to go mute.

As I said…I can respect the position the mask works if you wear it in the place that this thing spreads the most. But if one is just wearing it in public. They are just perpetuating theater for the political class. They have no convictions in the effectiveness of the mask.

On to my 4 mile run. Having to cut off a couple of miles today as we are short staffed and don’t have the time to get the 6 miles I got in yesterday.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Sadly obesity will always be a consequence of freedom.

But if you want to protect yourself from this virus…fighting it with exercise will actually work. Unlike a mask at the store so people can see a prop/visual.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I do not necessarily disagree. Just like masks have no impact on Covid numbers. But one of the two can actually work. Unless of course we are talking everyone N95 up. Then both could work.

20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I agree. The consequence of freedom. But it is the one thing that could work. It is much easier to control fear with a visual/prop compared to actually doing something that requires effort to achieve. Even if that effort works.