Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Yeah I don't buy for a second the "I'm not getting vaxed because vaxxers were mean to me!".

Democrats should start demanding that republicans vote, and make the demand in a condescending fashion.

• Funny Funny x 9
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Encouraging or coercing proper behaviors to reduce disease is not whining.

4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Those precautions seem to be the rule now. My daughter has been going to Cubs home games. Wrigley hasn't been that strict but they do have a large section of seats set aside for people who show proof of vaccination.

The Pitchfork and Riot fest festivals are back-to-back in September, both requiring vaccination cards or negative tests. I'm going to Pitchfork and my son is attending both festivals.

Hoping your wife is comfortable there and has a great time. For people who enjoy music in a communal setting, last year was really hard. Knowing the organizers have taken those precautions will make it easier to enjoy.

Eric Clapton's anti-vax stance was surprising. Interesting how his US tour has turned into a tour of the American south.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yes, but if we stop whining about it, the deaths will cease, right Wes? To your Q - the TV news report indicated that it was thought they were not vax'd (not confirmed).

6. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    My wife is much more social than I, the lack of gatherings over the past 18 months has been much more difficult for her than I.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The alternative to mandating and shouting (figuratively) at people is not "coddling." If you want an analogy to how some pro-vaxxers are being viewed, think of the people who yell at you about finding Jesus (which is rather ironic from BOTH sides, to be honest). Instead of force, provide the information to make it a no-brainer.

What kind of sales person works for you? The kind that is applying pressure, or the kind that leads you to believe you are 100% in charge of the decision-making?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  8. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I take full responsibility for you believing that this is what I am saying, but can you show me the quote that led you to think that I would agree with this?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I go a step further. Being right comes with greater responsibility to act in such an appropriate manner that some may be convinced to listen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tilly

Same at my house. I was have been social distancing forever! :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well, I'm guilty of hyperbole. Sorry about that. I just don't think any of the sales pitches will work when delivered from the "other side." People who resist the vax will only be convinced by someone close or a personal experience.

12. tilly

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    how is the vaccine being forced? Or why did he think it is? We all know people who haven’t gotten it.
    Is he a trumpkin?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. tilly

Yeah...this is the kind of stuff WES is talking about. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    In the real sense, it has not been forced to date (even IU allows for exemptions); the perspective is based on the perception that mandates would come or may otherwise be imminent. In a practical sense, the number of private entities that may require it might also have a similar effect as a government mandate. I don't know about political leanings with respect to Trump, but you would certainly classify this family as Christian/Conservative.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

16. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    They understand it just fine, just like they understand that a few % pts on your 401k can be the difference between early retirement and part-timing at WalMart in your 70s. But they can't admit to it because claiming that wearing a mask is a "burden" is impossible to justify otherwise. Matthew 25:45

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I’ve just lost patience.
    Listen, if people want to sit in their house and smoke, or have covid or do strange things to each other with gerbils, I don’t give a crap.
    But when my family and I have to interact with these science deniers, it is starting to piss me off. Two interactions with absolute morons this week, one of those interactions causing my family to have to test and me working from home for two days. Idiot’s kids both have Covid and they were out and about “because it’s just the Chinese flu”.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  18. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Worldmeter is reporting deaths in Florida going down over the last week while cases have been going up for the last four weeks. Any insights into how this is happening?

There was a surge in deaths as expected about two weeks after the cases started rising, then a big drop off the last week or so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. tilly

Hopefully a sign that the vax is working even in breakthroughs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I noticed this too. My guess is that Florida started reporting deaths for the day the death occurred rather than reporting all deaths for the day the death was reported. So for now, it shows 18 deaths for Aug 12. If that number rises over the next few days, we'll know. Also, as of now, Florida shows 40,528 total deaths. If the next report shows 20 deaths for Aug 13 but the total rises by 150, we'll know that this is how they are doing it now as well.