Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've taken a dose of DayQuil earlier and will break open this friggin expensive MucinexD that is supposed to be a 12 hour formula. Doctor mentioned it and so did my niece (nurse in a Covid unit). My doctor also added 2,000 IU of Vitamin D.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wow, since I’m high risk I guess I’ll avoid Teams and stick with Zoom :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've also been doing nasal irrigation 2x daily to help clear the passages and to prevent this from turning into a sinus infection. Past Sinusitis has done that before I now I take no chances.

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Yeah these days if my sinuses clog up I'm doing 12 hour Sudafed, mucinex and if bad enough Afrin for a couple of days. Having had sinus infections for years and eventual sinus surgery has lead me to be more aggressive in treating them.

5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Sorry to hear this. Really hope the vaxx works well and you improve quickly. Really happy you're vaxxed.

BTW, my wife just returned from Japan last Sunday. She got vaxxed back inj March and got tested twice since returning, both negative. But she's got a cough and congestion now (she's vaxxed), but with two neg tests, we don't know what to think.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    TMI

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Thanks for posting and sharing. For many people (most), COVID is a bad cold. Prayers that it is that way for you. Your sister is giving you the wisdom of treating listening serious patients and what benefits them. Makes sense that those same things would help at all levels. To keep it from settling in the lungs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I was going to suggest that. Also keeps irritants out. You don’t want your sinuses to develop a secondary, opportunistic infection from the mucus.

9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Can’t hurt to test again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't think the superintendent is in a position to disclose personal medical records of their employees, even the deceased.

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    My situation is similar. I started coughing a week ago. Got antigen and PCR tests since and both negative. I'm still coughing, but feel fine otherwise. Pretty sure it's a lingering cold and apparently that has been going around up here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you suggesting this is a legal issue or a moral issue? Both?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    For reason that no one understands. RSV is raging in parts if the US out of season, including Florida.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Why? There are countless other respiratory viruses circulating again now that masks are ofc and people no longer distancing.

15. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Anybody or any action in the way of revealing data that can be useful in decision-making. Information isn't withheld accidentally. Complaining about employees dying without mentioning whether they were vaccinated or anti-vax simply isn't helpful. Think about it...

(1) If they were not vaccinated, then this adds fuel to the fire that the pandemic truly is among those who refuse to get vaccinated...this increases the push for vaccinations.

(2) If they were vaccinated, then this adds urgency to the idea that the vaccines are not as effective and also adds utility to the idea that wearing masks may yet be helpful even for folks who have been vaccinated.

What is the upside of not coming clean with the information?

The vaccine's intended purpose was more than just to reduce cases (or hopefully eliminate them altogether), it was to reduce the severity of the symptoms. My guess is the employees were not vaccinated, and this could be used to further promote vaccinations if done properly. Is that not a worthy goal?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I've said this before on threads on this board, his actions are not helpful. But there are plenty that have the power to be helpful that are sitting quietly or are otherwise content to point the finger. He's not the only problem here.

The problem is we're talking about information that was already released but isn't being released any more (hospitalizations by age, and per case by age, for one thing). I wish HIPAA was opt in rather than applying to everybody. I can't imagine more than 1%-5% of the population would find it useful if they knew all of the barriers and costs involved.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm with you here. The state should have access to your health records just like they have access to your property records. I'd be fine with explicitly designated opt-outs for data sharing, but most people wouldn't do that...especially when the data might be useful for understanding and addressing a pandemic.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

18. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe. Can we see the data on how the disease is impacting them and compare the delta variant with other variants? Short of that, my kids are fine with wearing a mask in the classroom or in whatever indoor setting they may find themselves in when asked to do so. Maybe we'll learn that kids under 12 getting vaccinated is important, but that information really hasn't come out yet.

Fair question. Some vaccines our pediatrician recommends. Our kids don't get the flu vaccine either.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My answer would be with children not catching the original covid there wasn't a reason for a EUA from the FDA for that age group. Maybe now it will happen.

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1