Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What is the typical death rate for the flu?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    And were are you getting this info?

3/15 772 cases/42 deaths
    3/20 1512 cases/81 deaths

In 5 days they doubled the cases and deaths
    Coronavirus in Washington state: A timeline of the outbreak

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Talked to a bunch of executives today from very large companies. Next week will be an unemployment bloodbath.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm concerned about how they controlled for a lack of testing. This map, while nothing close to foolproof, indicates some cause for concern on that front:
    US Health Weather Map by Kinsa
    upload_2020-3-20_23-13-11.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I’ll answer. Less than one-tenth of one percent.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I've also heard there will be some drastic steps taken next week to control the virus, which isn't going to help the economy.

7. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I found this informative.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    makes one wonder at what point does civil unrest become an issue?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    He gonna get fired and replaced by a golfing buddy.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    or maybe Doc Rivers.....

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    According to this site, the death % in NY is .49. That is nearly five times the rate of the standard flu.
    NY state up to 7,102 confirmed coronavirus cases (see county-by-county map)

13. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I am using the assumption NY state cant get the non-run to the ER for a runny nose types to request testing and are only getting those that do on top of the former conditions needed which would make it about like the standard flu rate of death.

14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  15. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Can someone explain to me how and/or why a handful of people posting on this forum can believe and post the things they post in the face of the facts and reliable reports abounding in the news, TV, Print, and the'Net? What is the motivation, the intention behind their inexplicable intransigency? What do they gain in their denials and disputations?

I want to understand this inexplicable phenomenon

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    If you mean me my stuff is proving to be pretty correct so far and of course everyone here has their views on why stuff is being done. I was relentlessly attacked for conspiracy here for saying the Russian collusion special counsel was a hoax and was shown to be right as they did commit fraud on the court just as I said. The Judge has even affirmed that now.

• Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  17. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It looks like a lot of blue states getting rocked by this virus. Man, you take out the blue states and our numbers look like Japan's. I wish the blue states had more competent governors and leaders.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You're dreaming if you think we're only gonna have only 2k deaths. I'm an inpatient medicine physician who used to work in a major medical center in NYC and now in the Bay area. Let me tell you something, if you think Italy is bad, just watch what'll happen in NYC over the next few weeks.

Even before this outbreak, NYC hospitals were already ABSOLUTELY packed. Our ED had 3x8ish formations of beds stacked so close together that I can hardly walk between them. Less sick patients were stuffed in the hallways and many patients on ventilators were already overflowing from the ICUs to the floors. There's literally no room to accommodate any more patients...EVEN BEFORE ALL THIS. Just a few months ago Europe had the capacity to send patients home for the weekend and come back to the hospital next week (i.e. many patients in the hospital weren't really even that sick), and that capacity was overwhelmed in a matter weeks. How do you think NYC with its exceptional population density, extremely high reliance on public transit, and perfect weather conditions for the virus will do?

Now, here in the Bay area, UCSF (i.e. SF General) is already operating at capacity. They're converting entire floors into isolation units. At my hospital we just had a seminar today on how to decide which patients get ventilators and which we'll just have to leave to die. This was followed by a phone meeting of my department regarding surge staffing and how to replace those who inevitably fall ill.

The situation is grave, the surge is coming, and the medical community is prepared for war. We're all prepared to catch the virus ourselves, and contingency plans are being made to replace the fallen. Every one of us living in this country, inside and outside the medical community, will have a part to play in the upcoming battles, so ask yourself this: what part will I play?

Now, I understand your point of view and your skepticism, but the truth is starting to become obvious. I hope you'll see it and it'll never be too late to change your mind. I hope that you keep that question in mind over the next few weeks. You, and only you, can answer that question, but how you answer it will determine the man that you are.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  19. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You are conspiracy mongering because Fauci--a Reagan appointee to head NIAID--sent a very nice email to then Sec State Clinton after giving a talk about global health? This is next level bonkers. It's also shameful.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    @gator_fever You can give me a come on man, but it's true. You're using innocuous emails from seven years ago, which have absolutely no bearing on anything to do with this current situation or much of anything else, in order to smear Fauci.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1