Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is also potentially very significant. Not released yet but it looks like even the vaccinated are carrying heavy viral loads that could be transmitted. That is different from the pre Delta situation, in which the vaccinated were not only personally protected but also not spreaders (forgetting the technical term)

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    But do you see the concern some have with the misinformation going around? You talked about rumors going around that vaxxed people are causing the spike with delta and then posted that bush league article. Did you not realize it was trash before you posted it? Did you only read the title?

3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    A sketchy fake news blog reporting that the USA Today article “maybe” had a line in an article which was apparently corrected (if they are even telling the truth about that). Hard hitting stuff.

As the USA Today is pretty much just going by what the CDC says, the CDC advice is that vaccinated people can indeed pass the virus *if* they are infected. So where there is a ton of virus in the community, they recommend reinstituting the mask mandate indoors for everyone. Making no distinction as to vaccinated vs unvaccinated (before, they had only lifted the mask recommendation for those who were vaccinated). CDC says nothing about “higher viral loads”. Sounds to me the concern is still over possible asymptomatic spread, which has also been the concern all along even before the vaccines. The idea that a vaccinated person could test positive but not spread the virus didn’t make much sense. If your viral load is enough to test positive, vaccination status is rather moot (other than for tracking the relative progression of the disease to severe illness or death, to keep tracking the efficacy of the vaccine based on who is getting admitted to hospitals).

4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Just horrible roll out by CDC. Sometimes linear thinkers can’t get out of their own way. They should have held a long presser with charts and boards that would have made Glenn Beck proud, explained all the data and announced exploring changes. Send minions out to shows…

Then a couple days later announce changes.

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In fairness, they're getting a lot of political pressure and the data is changing constantly. Hard to do the classic rollouts. Plus I don't know how often they are used to this level of scrutiny and political exposure. The White House could send communications people over but I am presuming there was a decision not to have White House interaction so it can always be honestly stated the White House never interfered with the medical guidance. Just a presumption

• Like Like x 1
  6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Does that mean us vaccinated should be feared by the unvaccinated?

To the unvaccinated

Boo!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Orange County Florida just declared state of emergency until the Gov bans those. What data….

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Saying how Fauci has 15 minutes of fame reflects a profound lack of knowledge about his career.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I hear you, but, if they didn’t realize this was a bomb…….

10. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Freaking yikes.

11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

Delta variant itself has like 1000x the viral load, so it’s not surprising its challenging the vaccines. That is where those idiots probably got their spin wrong somehow - twisting that fact about delta variant viral loads into “the vaccinated carry more viral load”. That is true of delta variant vs. previous variants, not true vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

Hopefully the vaccines keep holding up against more severe illness, that is the most important measure (hospitalizations and deaths), and all the hospital anecdotes from the early stages of this current (delta variant) wave are it’s like 90%+ unvaccinated.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  12. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    K12 starts August 10th

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks. Didn't catch that. We have to wait for more data and study...which is always the case.

15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It has much more load but I didn't realize that that is not proportionate to its transmissibility. It is an estimated to be between 2 to 4 times more transmissible, which is a lot but that's with some multiple of the viral load. I thought I remembered a hundred times but I could be

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    On the positive side, Delta is supposed to burn out fast. India's numbers already dropping and Britain's have started. I've heard two virologists try to explain it but for some reason it's extreme transmissibility also makes it burn out fast. They thought we would be through Delta in a few months although it will take a lot of lives and cause other damage

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    My guess: It’s probably in a massive amount of people asymptomatically, including some number of vaccinated. I am under the impression testing is way, way down unless you are in the hospital. There really aren’t “mass testing” sites anymore since the emphasis shifted to getting people vaccinated.

That being said, we may have to see that surge before it fizzles back down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree 100%. And my understanding is they are trying to do some testing but it's probably out there a whole lot and there's probably going to be a lot more of a surge before it burns out. Hoping to avoid it. Even though I'm vaccinated, I hear that you can still get long Covid even if you're not hospitalized, and that it can be very debilitating and you won't feel at all like what you're experiencing is mild

19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    By spreading so fast it runs out of hosts?

20. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Underline and others like you. I think somes posting here is reckless but don't think they have been responsible for tens of thousands of deaths.