Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    That would apply to about 60 - 65% of the general population these days. And we seem to have lost the ability to respectfully disagree or compromise on much

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Go read up on how many people couldn’t get the vaccine in Feb/March. I assume you will revise your stance on natural immunity now that you’ve seen the data…

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hospitals in Naples offering $25k for ICU sign on bonus. $20k for respitatory therapist

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    In Feb/March we were still vaccinating seniors 1st or
    2nd shots, and indeed vaccine supply was tight. April/May is when we started moving farther down the age groups, and by May you could basically get a same day appointment anywhere in the country (albeit underserved communities might be YMMV)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008

In Israel, the government admits a majority of new COVID cases are among the vaccinated. The UK government admits a large share of new COVID cases and hospitalizations are vaccinated.

In Cape Cod, Massachusetts there is a large COVID outbreak among the vaccinated. At Stanford University there is an outbreak of COVID among the vaccinated students.

It’s happening everywhere.

Aren't those areas where almost everyone is vaccinated? I would expect the majority of the cases to be from people that are vaccinated, just using basic math

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    Good luck. It's gotten very competitive out there. This is not out of the norm these days. You usually have to agree to a two year contract and get the bonus at the end of the two years. At least that hospital is in a nice place. Imagine how hard it is for hospitals in places like New Mexico and Mississippi to find people to work in this tight labor market. I'm expecting my hospital to increase the daily extra shift bonus from $1000 to $1250 this week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    @BLING already answered. Feb/March, vaccines were restricted. In Arizona, it was by age and serious condition. Only those with serious medical conditions prescribed by a doctor, and those 65 and older at first could get the vaccine. The age was lowered in March to 55 and older. It made sense to restrict who could get the shot to those most in need when supplies were low. But since April, how many stories have there been of vaccine shortage? And again, you made the claim, can you find any stories of people dying because people who recovered from COVID were receiving shots in lieu of those who had never had the virus? If not, your claim of thousands of dead because of this is completely bogus.

8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Advanced math. If 100% of the population is vaccinated. Then 100% of infections are breakthrough cases among the vaccinated.

Conclusion of idiots: See, the vaccine doesn’t work!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Underscoring why preventing severe infection is laudable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend

Apr 29, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Just saw on ABC national news Biden and other officials are looking at requiring all federal employees be vaccinated.

Locally in Tampa Bay Area the Hillsborough county school system is considering mandatory masks for students.

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It would’ve gotten some seniors vaccinated up to a month earlier if the cdc didn’t have people who previously had covid get a shot. We started vaccinating people in Jan. So we had almost 3 straight months of extremely tight supply and you think that not vaxxing Covid+ patients wouldn’t save lives? Considering Covid was according to this website claiming 2,100 people per day, yes I think thousands could’ve been saved. And this isn’t second guessing, many scientists recommended not vaccinating those who already had Covid.

COVID-19 is the Number One Cause of Death in the U.S. in Early 2021

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I don’t consider a op-Ed by a trump follower “truth”. From the link....

“Wayne Allyn Root is known as “the Conservative Warrior.” Wayne is the author of the new #1 national bestselling book, “TRUMP RULES.”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Again, you made the claim tens of thousands lives lost because previous COVID-19 patients were getting vaccinated before others. Again, you offer zero proof of this actually happening. Not even in small scale.

15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Now of course, if we could have vaccinated more and quickly, we could've saved lives. But the reason we couldn't wasn't because the previously infected was taking up all the available supply. First, there was an overall supply shortage, as Jan production didn't meet goal. Trump also passed on purchasing additional Pfizer vaccines. There was also no real, national plan. It was every state for itself.

Nowhere can I find the cause for vaccine supply shortage, at any time, is too many COVID recovered patients receiving the vaccine in lieu of others. This is just some made up crap, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I meant thousands. Had one sentence say tens of thousands, other saying thousands. Corrected to thousands. And proof? Do you think the cdc is going to trot that info out there? What kind of proof do you need that somewhere around 35% of the US already had covid by then and if that many people didn’t need the vaccine, then yes we would’ve saved thousands of lives. No proof yet, but I bet a study will come out about that at some point. But you keep thinking vaccinating kids and wearing masks will save lives.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Trump was terrible handling covid, so you wont get an argument from me. Yes there was a supply shortage, which makes prioritizing those without natural immunity first. There was literally no reason not to. But if you think somewhere around 30% of the population doesn’t affect the time it takes to get the vaccine to those who actually need it, then there is no point having anymore discussion on this.

upload_2021-7-27_20-6-38.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Again, until April, those under 55 in most places, unless an essential worker, couldn't get the vaccine. How many COVID survivors were 54 and under in Feb/March? Not 30% of the population, I can assure you. At the time, we also had no idea how long natural immunity would last. So a 70-year old survivor would be higher on the priority list versus a 40-year old who never had COVID. Using Feb/March knowledge, this was proper triage.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We knew natural immunity was extremely powerful at the time. Don’t try to say it wasn’t. You are making excuses for the cdc. They blew it. Again.

Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19

• Funny Funny x 1