Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife recently pointed out that her facebook friends who are arguing that we are taking too drastic of measures to save a few lives, or that the risk to the economy outweighs saving people ... are also the typical "pro-lifers".

Looking at Swamp Gas, I think she's on to something.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I think the man is completely lost without his rallies and mass adulation from the lemmings. They’re like a drug to him, and now he can’t get high. So as an alternate he turns a part of his daily corona presser into a vehicle to spin his greatest hits and spew his anger.

he has the emotional IQ of a 5 year old

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    a five year old somewhere is offended by that ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Because of one or two guys?

5. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    A lot of people aren't pro life, they are pro baby. Once you're out of the womb you're on your own.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. hockeygator

hockeygator Freshman

Dec 29, 2016
    Italy ---> Durham NC
    Ironically it was the southern Italians living up north that fled for the most part. Also they do the kiss each cheek thing when they greet and depart which doesn't help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Well put; spot on!

8. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    So at the current rate of increase in the number of reported cases in the US, which is 7.72X increase over last week:

By April 3: 1m cases
    By April 10: 7.3m cases
    By April 17: 59.7m cases
    By April 24: The entire population

Think about this folks, even if we fall way short of the absolute worst case scenario, we could still be in big trouble.

Bend the mfer

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Don’t know why some on here struggle to understand that extreme measures (I.e., an “overreaction”) are exactly what’s needed to avoid turning every hospital in America into the Seattle nursing home.

perhaps if Potus has taken this a little more seriously early on we may be in a better place today (I know, he cut China off early, yay for him, even broken clocks are right 2 times a day).

then there’s this:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Can you extrapolate a normal math equation to this? Because confirmations are limited by the amount of available tests at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

Even some early lockdown proponents are finally seeing the light. Yesterday morning a doctor said an answer to the question was about 550 in the whole U.S. that were admitted inpatients and in the hospital at this time for this.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'd put it like this, basing the projections only on confirmed cases is scary af enough, at least for me it is. We are looking like Italy.

But to your point (I think), it could be far worse right now if the true number is far greater than the known number.

Edit: I need to look for what the CDC has for an R0 for coronavirus in the US. The numbers I used were only based on what we know and projected off of the current rate. Basically a back of the envelope calculation, not my plugging numbers into any complex stat model.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    I would have to think that the social distancing and hopefully other precautions people are taking will slow the rate of infection way down.

Knock on wood.

It is also a great sign that well known malaria drugs appear very effective in treatment of the virus.

Ramp up production and get it distributed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Wouldn't be happening if obama was potus, no way.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2020
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    Obama took H1N1 seriously and acted accordingly. Actually listened to the experts. Novel approach apparently.

So you are more than likely correct that Obama (and likely every other POTUS prior to this one) would have taken this seriously, and would not be getting reamed for delayed action and calling this a hoax... while he and his buddies sold off stock to beat the market crash he knew was coming.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Knock like hell on wood.

We need to bend that curve. I hope upon hope that these efforts will achieve it. Far more South Korea than Italy.

I remain somewhat skeptical of chloroquine's effectiveness, which I wrote to on that thread. All for giving it a try, however.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Was streaming "Dirty Money" on Netflix last night. There was a segment on the drug company Valeant that bought out another drug company that manufactured a drug for Wilson's disease. Without this drug people with the disease die. When Valiant acquired the company the cost went from ~ $30/month to ~ $289,000/year. Fewer people took the drug but revenue shot up and they were the darlings of Wall Street.

edit: they got their comeuppance when short sellers drove their share price from $270 to $8.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Either do I, though I completely expect it from the usual suspects. POTUS did what he was going to do and this is the result. It was predictable. Even now, after changing tune, he reverts to invective and exaggeration. And he has a legion of supporters who are the most ill-informed among us and and full of contempt toward science and expertise. It's a sad state of affairs that has been long in the making.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I have heard some rumblings that there are not a large number of people in hospitals over this relatively speaking.

Has anyone seen any numbers?

20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's exactly what we're trying to prevent from happening in the next month.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1