Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Somehow I missed that Monsanto was bought. That is the worst corporation to ever exist

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Thanks for making my point for me. I won't be telling my doctor how to treat me. But there are people out there who listen to Trump. And it'll fall to their doctors to have to explain the risks and correct the record. That shouldn't happen. It's all about a President acting responsibly during a crisis. Trump isn't doing that.

Which doesn't contradict anything I've told you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Most corrupt self-interested Prez in history and not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

In fairness, claiming I misread the article and thought there would be 3M tests is contradicts the truth.
    I never claimed there would be 3M tests. I claimed the opposite.

6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, Tilly, you were the one who asked if they were sending the 3 million pills for testing. I told you they weren't and to read the article, which explains that the FDA was testing the drug and that even in the absence of approval, doctors can prescribe it. I never tried to misrepresent your position. I only tried to correct Trump's misstatement.

7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    With all do respect, the Chairman of the SIC had better look at all scenarios, including worst case ones. That doesn't mean its a likely scenario.

It's not any different than the conversation I had with my boss last week... Our worst case is all the companies we do trials for decide to stop all their trials and we have to close. (Very Very unlikely) but it still is part of the conversation.

Not sure how the President (Non specific to any particular one) manages addressing issues (real and imagined), and does so in a manner designed to calm a nation. Very difficult when a situation is evolving.

Believe me I have a bit of medical expertise, if I had any idea how bad this was going to freak people out I would have sold every potion I own the first week of Feb, would have saved me about 90k of paper losses.

8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    As has been said (Socrates?) Know Thyself. Cant have such equivocation around here. Pick a side and get on it or the next thing you know people will be calling you a moderate. :) jk - having a bit of fun.

9. tilly

Re-read my post. I was being sarcastic. (Thus the "C'mon man." in my post) I was clearly saying that they werent donating that for 3 million tests, but for actual implementation.

Here is my quote:

10. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Worse than the company that made zyconB. The gas that was used in the death chamber.

I think Monsanto was greedy and made stupid decisions but they didn't intentionally make and sell the drug that was used to kill many millions of people.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tilly

By the way, I do not think you tried to misrepresent. That isn't your style from my experience. I just think you misunderstood me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tilly

Agree, although they may actually be killing large numbers of people in a more subtle way.

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I think we can all agree that it's unreasonable to expect a President to have snuffed this out before it hit our shores. The reason many of us are angry is because of actions Trump took over the past three years that harmed our ability to take proactive measures, his dishonesty about the potential dangerousness of this pandemic until the past 10 or so days (long after experts were issuing serious warnings), and the misinformation he continues to spread (while failing to rise to the moment in terms of the character and leadership we need). And that's not even getting too deeply into the frustration at the lack of testing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Well, for one thing, he listens to experts and, at least behind the scenes, begins preparations.
    - You don't fire and disband the "pandemic response team" in 2018.
    - You don't cut the budget for the cdc (Trump has proposed cutting their budget every year but congress has thankfully intervened).
    - test fewer people than Turkey and utterly fail to produce a test from the WHO that was ready or allow private companies to develop tests as S. Korea did. (Opinion | A Complete List of Trump’s Attempts to Play Down Coronavirus)
    - You don't lie to the public and say "we have it totally under control." (Opinion | A Complete List of Trump’s Attempts to Play Down Coronavirus)

When the crisis becomes apparent, you don't:
    - say unproven crap like "warm weather will kill this".
    - Mock people as "crying Chuck Schumer", and even worse mocking experts, when they said we were not serious enough about fighting the virus.
    - Lie again in late February that the "virus is going down."
    - Lie/say stupid shit that can endanger older people: “We’re talking about a much smaller range” of deaths than from the flu, he said on March 2. “It’s very mild,” he told Hannity on March 4. On March 7, he said, “I’m not concerned at all.” On March 10, he promised: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

The way you minimize damage from this virus is with behavior modification and with science. His lies have undermined attempts to get people to take this seriously until it is later in the exponential curve and will cost people their lives. His loose affiliation with science is well know.

The worst however is that a pandemic like this is a surprise... to NOBODY. Having the resources, plans and people in place for these kinds of events is a PRIMARY function of government. Hell, this is probably one of the few things everyone agrees on... and his administration has screwed the pooch.

A leader facing a crisis must exhibit awareness of the problem, a thoughtful plan to succeed, commitment to the plan thru buy in from all team members, and leadership to move forward. I see him having done none of the above.

• Winner Winner x 9
  15. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    In an earlier post you wrote about pneumonia related to this disease. How much, if any, would this be mitigated for those who received the pneumonia shot? Only asking for your opinion and not trying to put you on the spot as a professional.

16. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    They wouldn't help at all if you had viral pneumonia.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  18. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Do you really believe your next to last paragraph? A surprise to nobody???

19. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Doctors can prescribe a drug for a reason that is not approved. It is called using the drug “off label.” However, a company cannot advertise the use of its drug for anything but an FDA approved use.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. tilly

Disagree all you want. Formulate an argument. Calling out specific posters has to stop everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1