Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Controversy? (Now after DJ’s first start)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Aug 31, 2024.

So what do we have here?

This poll will close on Dec 18, 2024 at 1:20 AM.
  1. Legit QB controversy?

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Play both?

35 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. If Mertz is healthy, he should continue as starter?

17 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Play Lagaway as starter.

119 vote(s)
    67.2%
  1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    First team defense was still in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Junior

Jun 22, 2007
    Go with Lagway to hopefully develop him and help him grow some roots in the program.

Mertz isn't taking us anywhere. We just don't have enough talent, including coaching, to have success with a 'game manager'.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If you have a bad defense, there are certain things that can help you out as a team as a whole. Right at the top are a mobile QB and an arm to take the top off the defense.

Given what we have seen so far of this woeful defense and horrid right side of the Oline, I don't see that there is anything we can do to make a substantive difference aside from starting Lagway.

It appeared Callaway was calling plays for him but I didn't know.

Sometimes coaches have to be forced out of their stubbornness. (See SOS and the shotgun).

Make the other team have to defend a mobile QB. Make the other team defend the deep ball. That should give the offense more opportunities.

Give us a shot at winning a couple games. Can't stop them, outscore them.

Edit. One other thing, why waste Lagway? If we keep going like this, either or both he and Napier won't be here next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Frankly, I don’t think DJ is enough by himself.

5. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not saying he is enough (whatever enough means to you). I'm saying he's the only thing I see on this team that could make a difference.

We aren't in the ideal world where we can afford to develop an arch Manning.

6. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Dude… relax

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I just don’t want to see him carrying the ball 20 times a game as a freshmen or anything like that. My concern is next year. I think we already saw what we needed to reference this year.

8. canagator

canagator Senior

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    They said on the broadcast the first team was still in, it was on offence as well, I so wanted us to take a shot at their QB!

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorByte

GatorByte GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    It’s hard to even be invested in a discussion like this right now, especially when there is a possibility that neither of these guys will even be here anymore when a new staff is in place. I suppose based on that you could put Lagway in so we can at the very least have a little entertainment on our way out of any meaningful college football conversations.

10. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. plantado

plantado Junior

Dec 28, 2023
    You believed the snake oil salesman just like many others did. Just remember when you buy a used car, there never is a little old lady who just drove it to church on Sunday.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Billy is coaching for his coaching life and DJ gives him the best chance to win this year. DJ has a great arm and great size and speed, so I doubt he will get beat up or lose his confidence. Starting him would inject a lot of life and energy into this offense.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    It was an emotional game for everyone, and the Mea Culpa is appreciated.

I was at the game and can say with absolute certainty that Miami didn’t make any wholesale substitutions until very late in the game, on either side. Any substitutions were situational, Ward and Martinez didn’t leave until very late.

We’ve all made mistakes when posting, I’ve made enough that I’ve learned to at the very least research my posts before I commit to a statement.

Just a friendly suggestion.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not just that but they said Calloway was calling the plays, the one slant pass Lagway completed on his TD drive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    see Dan M. And Emory Jones. Or Dan M. And Franks. Coaches often make the wrong decisions out of stubbornness or lack of creativity/forward thinking or loyalty or blind faith. The coach that can adapt quickly - those are rare actually. At every level.

• Like Like x 1
  16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Travis Hunter does not play qb.

17. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia will thank you for Lagway next year.

What do you think we need to reference (?) this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry, i meant jordan Travis. Old age mostly on my part.

19. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Mertz is t
    He meant Jordan Travis.

20. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    From what I saw, Lagway is far less likely to get hurt than Mertz. He makes quick decisions and gets the ball out in a hurry, fast and accurately. He has the skills to be a very mobile QB without relying on him to be the primary gainer running the ball.

To me, it is absolutely absurd to say that you are going to "save" your weapon for next year when it is pretty clear there won't be a next year.

One caveat that SS used was "in this scheme". Clearly it has to be adapted to suit DJ. I think it goes without saying you've got to change things to suit him. (I have doubts here about Napier's willingness and ability to do so effectively).

From what I saw last night, he's ready enough. Other teams have started TF superstar QBs and had success. I'm not in favor of playing a game and saving a big weapon, a potential game changing weapon, for the next round when it doesn't look like I'll make it.

This is why you recruit great players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1