Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Conservatives, what are you conserving?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Sep 4, 2024.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    maybe Justin Amash

2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I had to google him. He went Libertarian. So are you saying true conservatism is Libertarianism?

3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    no.

4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You forgot . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O U R . H E R I T A G E ! ! !

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have to say you are leaving money on the table by allowing Trump to live rent free in your head.

It is amusing how you and others on seem almost obsessed by someone you openly detest and you allow to almost dominate your lives. Heck, Harris will win the election and a year from now Trump will still be the number one topic on Too Hot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Today's conservatives: "We've got to conserve the 1950's! Keep women in the kitchen where they belong! And keep the dark skinned-people in their place, if we can't keep 'em out. Amirite? Did I say too much? Was I supposed to use code for that last one? Why you lookin' at me like that, Butthead?"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Deep insight. Keep it coming

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    So, the fact that others let Trump live rent free in their heads, lives rent free in your head. You've even taken it a year out. WEIRDO!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is not an official definition but I think it's an accurate description that many people would've agreed with in times past. The framers of the constitution believed in Natural Law i.e "the laws of nature and nature's God." For instance, "You reap what you sow." "Cause and effect" and "Supply and demand". Think about how many current issues in our political debates are attempts to get around those of laws.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel like this would be a good time for a sing-a-long. Everybody sing together--it will help us understand today's conservatives.

"I wish I was in the land of cotton,
    Old times they are not forgotten;
    Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.
    In Dixie Land where I was born,
    Early on one frosty mornin,
    Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.

Then I wish I was in Dixie, hooray! hooray!
    In Dixie Land I’ll take my stand to live and die in Dixie,
    Away, away, away down South in Dixie,
    Away, away, away down South in Dixie."

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m just trying to gauge what you define as conservative. You have a lot of posts here criticizing posters and politicians for not being conservative, but if practically nobody is conservative, as you define it I’m not sure how useful that it is.

I think we are probably mostly in agreement but I come at it from the opposite angle. I don’t think conservative really means anything. It is an identity. Chances are it tends to correlate to certain politicians (Trump, republicans) and to a much lesser degree actual issues.

I’ve been following this stuff since a teenager - so about 45 years. I grew up reading some conservative material, including the “conservative digest” that would literally rate all congressman on their votes and voting record. At least they had a specific set of criteria they used, not that I agreed with all of it.

The one thing I’ve noticed following politics is for those that identify as conservative, being a “conservative” is THE most important thing to them. That label is highly valued. They may have different views on different issues but still view themselves as conservative. Contrast that to those on left who mostly don’t care if they are labeled as liberal or progressive or what have you.

You had Jack Kemp conservatives and Pat Buchanan conservatives and Barry Goldwater conservatives, each with some different ideals. But most of their views converged. Now with Trump it is all over the map. Trump just put the final fork in conservatism.

So conservatism is nothing more than identifying as conservative. The correlation to issues and principles these days is almost zero.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Lickspittles every one.

13. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I totally agree with @docspor, there are few remaining conservatives left in America. But at one time in America there were conservatives, so the definition definitely has meaning. And one day true conservatives may come back, which also gives meaning to the definition.

MAGA is not conservative in any way, shape, or form. No matter how loud they shout it. The Republican party has lost its way.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I love the strawman essays... Conservatives are conserving something? Lol...

The Democrats are NOT about Democracy. Not even close...

However... the Republicans are all about our Constitutiopnal Rebublic.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The opposite of conservatives is progressives, not Democrats.

As often as you throw about labels, you should know that. It's weird.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I suppose i missed a few. That one should go here:

In God we trust.
    Marriage (actual).
    Nuclear family as cornerstone of society.
    Private property rights.

*LAW AND ORDER*

Fiscal responsibility.
    National borders.
    Our history.
    Our national identity.
    Work ethic.
    Meritocracy.
    Individual freedom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    White supremacy?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You can always cherry pick some policies and values that at one point in 250 years have been associated with conservatism and claim conservatism. I would just as easily throw some policies / values out that Democrats now espouse that have been associated with conservatism. That doesn’t mean they’re conservative….or maybe it does since the phrase has no meaning anymore.

So either the conclusion is nobody is practically conservative as Docspor asserts, or everybody is conservative, because everybody has at least a couple of historically conservative values they believe in, and these days that’s all it takes to claim the label.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    What they are really trying to conserve is social power..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Which brings us back to my original question. Personally, I think that conservatism is more than just a set of policy positions. I think that there is a unifying world view. I believe, the reason that this point is so often missed in our current discourse is because we're no longer talking about "conservative" or "not conservative." Nowadays the question is "more conservative" or "less conservative."