Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congratulations to Urban Meyer - nominated for College Football Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by OldAtlG8tor, Jun 3, 2024.

1. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    And that, much like I stated in my first post, is an opinion. You may want his picture next to your stadium picture, but in my opinion, his name shouldn’t be anywhere near a UF hall of anything at this time.

2. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    Ok. If I invite someone into my house and they have a giant party, make every guest happy until they decide to go home, and then start a food fight while pissing on my door mat on the way out, just to go to the water cooler on Monday and tell everyone my house sucks, they shouldn’t expect to cross my threshold ever again.

The great part about such accolades is that they have minimum requirements, but no mandate to allow in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    You forgot 1911....that was a great year!

4. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Tebow grew up a Florida fan watching Spurrier’s teams. He was still going to Florida under Zook and Fedora. Shula wedged himself in after Zook was fired. The Bammers wouldn’t have had a chance of Spurrier had come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe so, but reading Tebow‘s autobiography, he had a pretty good relationship with Shula and the decision was very close. The other aspect is would Spurrier have wanted a Tebow-style quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    You could make the argument on that now, but in 2001 even Foley wouldn’t have been dumb enough to hire a second year head coach from Bowling Green.

There might have even been a “FireUrbanMeyer.com” website then too.

7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    You and skink’s first year of season tix?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Also, Spurrier was very picky about his QBs. He recruited the number one QB in the nation, Bobby Sabelhaus, then never used him because Sabelhaus could not make the changes to his throwing mechanics that Spurrier absolutely demanded. Tebow would have even more problems adapting to Spurrier's hard-and-fast rule on throwing mechanics. I do not think that Tebow would have been a good fit for Spurrier. Tebow was the #1 dual threat QB in 2006, but Spurrier probably would have gone after the top pro-style QBs: Matthew Stafford, Mitch Mustain, Isiah WIlliams, Zach Frazer, Josh Freeman, etc. Mustain is the only one on that list who showed interest in Florida. Stafford did show interest in FSU, so there is a possibility that in an alternate universe someone like Spurrier would have lured Stafford to Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here’s another example of Spurrier being a stickler for how he wanted things done. These are his comments on Terry Dean, from a 1999 Orlando Sentinel article.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But it was a great party before he pissed on your rug Dude.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    He developed a good relationship with Shula after Zook was fired and Shula wedged in. Spurrier would have wanted him. He had all the intangibles, and above all he was a competitor.. Don’t forget Spurrier recruited Gavin Dickey hard a few years earlier.

12. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    The Dude abides man.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    For those that think Spurrier couldn’t have worked with Tebow, look no further than Connor Shaw. He may or may not have been called a dual threat, but he rushed for over 500 yards in his sophomore and senior seasons and rushed for over 5ypc as a freshman, though he certainly had less opportunities. Spurrier was more than capable of utilizing a mobile qb.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't understand this response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You are inappropriately injecting emotions into this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did SOS recruit Tebow to Carolina? I don’t recall that being discussed in Tebow’s autobiography.

17. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    You are inappropriately interjecting that I care about other’s opinions when forming my own. I don’t. Nor is this emotionally grounded. I’m not sad, mad, upset, or any other emotion you believe may be involved. Words and actions have consequences. He used both in denigrating my Alma Mater. The dude can go pound sand as far as I am concerned. You want to hug him because he elicits some sort of positive feelings for you, go ahead, it’s your right. I also have no emotional response to you liking him, just don’t try to tell me that standards are emotions. That thought process holds no water.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spurrier recruited Gavin Dickey because Dickey was in Tallahassee, and was the best available QB in the state. Spurrier also recruited Patrick Dosh out of Virginia over the best available pro-style QBs in-state (Will Proctor and Leon Pinkney). Gavin Dickey was competing against Vince Young and Marcus Vick as the top dual-threat QBs. All that to say: Spurrier was not looking for a dual threat QB per se, assuming that was Spurrier's preference and not Zook's or Zaunbrecher's. If he had stayed, Spurrier probably would have preferred the pro-style QBs that eventually made it to UF in 2002: Rex Grossman and Ingle Martin. If he did use Gavin Dickey, Spurrier would have forced him to stop using the 3/4 baseball throwing motion. Note that Tebow used a similar 3/4 baseball throwing motion. Spurrier has broken down a few QBs over the years for not using his over-the-top throwing motion.

19. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of course he was capable of utilizing a mobile quarterback, he was the greatest offensive innovator in college football history. The question is not could he have utilized Tebow, it’s would he have wanted to.

I wonder if anyone has ever asked him that question. I also wonder if anyone has ever asked Tebow if he would’ve played for Spurrier.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

hey leave me out of this

• Funny Funny x 2