Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congratulations to Urban Meyer - nominated for College Football Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by OldAtlG8tor, Jun 3, 2024.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    You’re right. But he would still want to kick our asses if he ever got a chance to play us. The two of them do one one thing very much in common; they are competitors who hate to lose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I think he also needed someone like Greg Mattison who would set him straight when he was taking things too far

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    We can always say if. If they have beaten Utenn in 01. Otherwise, I disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yes, I was around in ‘96, but I don’t pay attention to things like that now, and even less so back then. Many of our fans are delusional about the sanctity of University of Florida sports and somehow believe that in an environment of mass corruption and rule breaking across college sports that we were the only good ones who didn’t break the rules.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I understand what you are saying and would have to agree that we have some delusional fans in this area(several others as well).

I’m not saying that we don’t occasionally get the benefit of a bad call. But random bad calls generally equal out in number over the course of a game or definitely a season. But stomping a quarterback’s hand and twisting a running back’s knee after the whistle are a different ballgame. As is multiple uncalled late hits on a qb. And six, 6, seis, sechs, and sees incorrect change of possession calls all in one game, all favoring one team isn’t random.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you are arguing that Spurrier is a better human being than I agree with you.

You can cite articles and quotes about the terrible culture Meyer built, but that culture won 3 total national championships, 2 at UF and 2 of the best players in UFs history (Tebow and Harvin with Harvin being the best Gator ever).

Allow me to address your specific points:
    #1. The guy won 2 national championships, a Heisman winning campaign and the only undefeated regular season is UFs history. I don't care if players were "astray", I really don't get why anyone would care or focus on that over everything else.
    #2. He did have medical issues and feared for his life. In retrospect he overreacted as it wasn't as bad as he thought. Did you see that dude after our losses? Even after our wins? He lived and died for every game. I don't get why a fan of UF wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt, after everything he put in the trophy case, and continue to question or dismiss him truly believing he was sick.
    #3. Who cares? Whatever he did worked.
    #4. See #2
    #5. What does this have to do with UF? Are you an OSU fan?
    #6. Again, what does this have to do with UF? I'm a lifelong Jags fan and I couldn't care less.

If you want your coach to be a moral compass for you, I think there is something wrong with you, but everyone is entitled to root for what they want.

I root for wins and championships. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that's what matters to me. I don't care how a coach acts off the field, but I do take issue with a Gator legend with a statue and the freaking field named after him to take a job in the same conference and beat the team that he built his name on. To me, that's way worse than cheating on your wife or supposedly creating a bad culture. A culture that while it may hurt people's feelings, it won.

I'm sure you are over the moon with the current program and coach. No issues off the field, everyone going to class, a really great culture. I'd rather have a bastard as a head coach celebrating wins, but I guess that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Everybody breaks the rules…. /scene

Some just less and some are better at it.

8. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    Heck of a leap there

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Go take another look at that roster and get back to us. That OL with Leak throwing to Caldwell, Jackson, and Casey. Handing off to C4(he would have stayed), Wynn, and Thornton. Strong would have stayed to coach that defensive roster. No, I don’t think it’s much of a leap at all.

We don’t lose to Alabama and LSU trying to make Leak a running QB, and we damn sure don’t lose to SC at home.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 06GATORS08

Dec 12, 2009
    A possibility? Sure. To state "most likely." It's a leap. Way to many variables to make a statement like that. You bringing up that we had a talented roster doesn't do anything for your "argument."

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    The problem is that the other guy always thinks the other guy is doing it worse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Incorrect as usual

13. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    How does it not do anything for my “argument”? The greatest X’s and O’s coach in College football history taking over a loaded roster with no weaknesses. I don’t understand how you can’t see that, unless you simply don’t want to.

Leak would have put up insane numbers under Spurrier. Jackson and Caldwell would have been Ike and Riedel all over again, and C4 was the perfect Spurrier RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    There are plenty of threads arguing the ROH. This is about Meyer's nomination to the College Hall of Fame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. 06GATORS08

Dec 12, 2009
    Because you're talking about it like it's a foregone conclusion. If you had simply said it was a possibility, fine. You're saying he MOST LIKELY wins B2B championships if he's the coach in 05 and 06. Considering what a difficult feat that is, that's a pretty strong statement that is mostly grounded in your feelings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    And when Spurrier was coaching at USCe and played the Gators every year, you don’t think he was licking his chops eager to annihilate us and stick it to the administration and some of the fanbase? I can only imagine what his pregame speeches to his team before he played against UF were like Lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    Extremely well deserving for the CFHoF...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    No, it is grounded in his proven ability to coach and win. That roster was talented and deep. If you are thinking that B2B’s with him coaching were only a possibility, the. I think that you are the one letting your feelings dictate your thoughts. That team was loaded with talent and had great depth. FSU and UT had dropped as perennial Top 5 programs and no one one the schedule had taken their place. We would have been favorites for sure in SECCG(Auburn wouldn’t have taken us in ATL) and I very much would have liked our odds against USC and Texas in a title game.

19. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    In my humble opinion, which the university doesn’t consider, Meyer shouldn’t sniff the ROH or the Gator HoF until the football program fully recovers from the absolute wave of chaos he left behind. Only then should he be even considered.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re holding Meyer responsible for 3 bad hires after he left??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1