Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congratulations to Urban Meyer - nominated for College Football Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by OldAtlG8tor, Jun 3, 2024.

1. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I don’t think it was worth replying to. That poster has a history of not engaging in meaningful discussion… just likes to throw grenades every now then to rile people up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Thank you.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Coulda woulda shoulda. Speculate much??

Give it a rest. Spurrier didn't exactly inherit an empty cupboard when he came to UF.

Posts like yours make people want to argue against Spurrier, even though they don't want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    He didn't get Florida's greatest running back to stay when he came to UF.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Every time I watch the 08 championship, I am stunned at how hard, fast and relentless those players played with, especially the defense. I haven't seen that in awhile. Myers knew how to get everything out of a player. He deserves all the accolades.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I’ve never said that spurrier inherited an empty cupboard. I have noted many times that the roster he inherited was loaded. And unlike Meyer, Spurrier acknowledged many times over the years that Galen Hall left him a great roster and a winning culture. Meyer never seemed to be able to do that, did he.

Tell me please, what do you think Spurrier would have done with the roster that Zook left behind?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  7. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    Agree with everything except the second bullet. When SOS "fired himself," his record was 2-4 and getting smoked by LSU, Spurrier lost 9 of his last 12 games against P5 competition, and clearly could smell the coffee. He knew he would finish with a losing season in 2013, and possibly be fired after the season. After Ellis Johnson, his top recruiter, left, SOS stopped recruiting, particularly on defense. His defense was ranked 92d and 96th in total defense after having six straight years of defense ranked in the top 20. Spurrier's best teams at USCe were great primarily because of his defense, which was far better than his offense.

8. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    One thing for sure. I think he would have made Chris a Heisman candidate...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If If If... the reality is he won 2 at UF, Spurrier won 1. You have no idea what would happened, we only know what did.

10. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Uhmmmm... he coached and recruited against the Gators in the same conference and in the same division! He also beat UF, in his own stadium!

Why does he get a pass for all this and Meyer gets dragged through the mud because he believed he had a medical issue?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    And NCs, while extremely important, are the only statistical category where Meyer bests Spurrier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Spurrier is my guy, but Urban's record speaks for itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    And look at the way Mike White is villainized here for going to UGA after being run out of Gainesville by the fanbase. Why the double-standard?

14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think most Gators were happy to see him go to a rival we expected to beat every year.

15. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I agree with much that you said about the second bullet. Your call outs on his stay at USC East are justified.

• Like Like x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    That also may be true, but it didn't stop the fake outrage over him going to Georgia. They didn't want him anyway, so what's the issue? But the real discussion is about Spurrier. he left to the NFL and then to USCe. I'm ok with forgiving him, but at the time I wasn't happy, and I don't get why people hold grudges against Meyer but not Spurrier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I have a feeling that your emoji really is a photo of you. However, I was told that your were a troll and that emoji really fits you well.

Lets talk about SOS
    SOS gets a pass? What misdeeds has SOS done in coaching other than leave a job, going to work for a turd like Daniel Snyder, and taking a job with a creditable collage football team like USC East?

Lets talk about Meyer:
    1. Please note, that after Meyer left the Gators his dirty laundry got aired out. In his time ate UF several Gator greats got ignored for breaking the rules and laws. Thus, I guess you are OK with having a winning program that encourages certain players to go astray.
    2. Meyer may or may not have had a medical issues. Later on evidence came up that this was just a same.
    3. After Meyer coached his last game the following news came out "After a three-month investigation, the Sporting News published an exposé titled "How Urban Meyer broke Florida football", suggesting that Meyer had created a toxic culture in the locker room at Florida and departed just before implosion.[63] The article quoted several Florida players who declared that Meyer developed a "Circle of Trust" that included only star players, and that those players received favorable treatment, including not having to complete workouts, lenient punishment, and hiding the player's positive drug tests from the public. Although Meyer stated: "I've never heard of Circle of Trust before in my life", former players contend it was the foundation of Florida's culture under Meyer.
    4. Meyer's medial issue seem to have a miracle healing process because Ohio State saw that he could coach there.
    5. Meyer had a good run at Ohio State until his bad habit caught with him. "
      On August 1, 2018, Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave by Ohio State after reports surfaced that Meyer knew about spousal abuse allegations against assistant coach Zach Smith prior to Smith's firing the week prior."
      After an independent investigative panel reviewed the evidence, the Ohio State Board of Trustees found that Meyer and Ohio State University Athletic Director Gene Smith did not uphold the values of the university. On August 22, the board voted to suspend Meyer for the opening three games of the season for the Buckeyes. He missed the team's games against Oregon State, Rutgers, and TCU."
    6. In 2021, Meyer landed with the Jaguars. Again, his bad habits caught up with him. His personal conduct as a NFL coach was so bad that the owner had to fire him before the end of the season. Also, the NFL and the NFL Players Union were very pissed off with him.
    Lets compare resumes. SOS against Meyer.
    Record and title wise they are basically even.

Character wise, SOS is head and shoulders above Meyer.

To be honest with you, if character was a criteria for the Collage Football Hall of Fame, Meyer would not be even nominated.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yet he has no honor, he’s just good

20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I believe that the two situations are entirely different.

I believe that Spurrier left out of frustration. In the 1996 FSU game, the Noles played what was probably their dirtiest game ever up to that date. The late hits on Danny were multiple(as in double digits) and few were actually called. Afterward, Spurrier publicly complained and was not supported one damn bit by Foley or anyone else in Admin. There he was pointing out the obvious and Foley didn’t back him. Fast forward five years and we have FSU at home and Darnell Dockett tries to stomp on Rex Grossman’s hand after a play and then twists and sprains Earnest Graham’s knee taking him out of the game and out of the Tennessee game the next week. Missing Graham most likely cost us an SEC and NC that year. Again Spurrier talked about the obvious and again Foley and Admin didn’t have the balls to back him up.

I believe that these events culminated in the ACC generating enough balls to actually have their refs steal the game in what is known all around college football outside of Tallahassee as “The Swindle in The Swamp”.

Meyer, OTOH most likely did have some kind of breakdown after we were crushed by Alabama. He did the right thing to resign, but the wrong thing to come back and give a poor effort for the 2010 season.

So to me, Spurrier gets the benefit of the doubt due to the way he was treated. Meyer does not get the benefit of the doubt. He gave a half ass(although quite possibly all he could) effort in 2010, and then bailed anyway leaving the program in a mess.

• Winner Winner x 1