Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congratulations to Urban Meyer - nominated for College Football Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by OldAtlG8tor, Jun 3, 2024.

1. OldAtlG8tor

OldAtlG8tor Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    What a great coaching career...

Urban Meyer-Bowling Green (2001-02), Utah (2003-04), Florida (2005-10), Ohio State (2012-08)-
    Finished career with the third-highest winning percentage in FBS history (85.4%), winning two BCS national championships with Florida and the inaugural CFP title with Ohio State…Led Utah to a perfect 12-0 season and a win at the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, the first-ever BCS game to feature a non-automatic qualifier…Won seven conference titles overall and led OSU to an NCAA record 30-consecutive conference victories.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Congrats to the man, the myth, the Legend. Those were some of the best years of our entire football history.

Meanwhile, two former Florida players also are on the ballot — defensive linemen Alex Brown and Brad Culpepper.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm all for it. You cannot deny the man's achievements. Hell of a coach.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah!!! #1 UF Coach of all time and he never coached at another SEC school, unlike another.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    He’s been grinding for this since Columbus!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Realistically, he couldn’t tie Spurrier’s shoelaces.

• Agree x 10
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    As a coach and ESPECIALLY as a human being.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged

Cheech & Chong

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. savgator1956

savgator1956 Freshman

Nov 18, 2017
    Congratulations to Urban. He and SOS had only one loss to the mutts. The revenge games the following year are two of my favorite games. Thanks Urban.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Good place for him, just him away from the Gators Hall

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    Yeah, those three MNCs just don't make it. Urban's long overdue for the Ring of Honor...

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    If Spurrier had come back in 05 he would have most likely won the NC 05 and 06 with Zookers roster. And Zook had the number one class lined up when he was fired and I’d be willing to bet that Spurrier would have gotten most of them to stay committed

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Spurrier is a greater coach than Meyer, in my mind. He was more innovative, endured here longer, kept a better locker room, and won more SEC Championships (Meyer never won a conference championship here except in the two Natty years). I believe Spurrier is the winningest coach at multiple schools and created programs that never existed at the same level in each place before he arrived. No doubt, Meyer won wherever he went, too, but, given a choice between the two, I would take Spurrier.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    The words “honor” and “Urban Meyer” just don’t go together all that well. I’ll pass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Why does it have to be a contest between them? Can’t we recognize the great achievements of both of them?

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Life is a series of contests. That's what makes it interesting. I hold nothing against anyone who chooses to recognize them both and I do appreciate the two Nattys that Meyer brought us. I just appreciate Spurrier's legacy here more.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    If Meyer had stayed at UF beyond 2010, he would’ve won even more championships. Would have, could have, should have is a fun game to play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I don’t think so for three reasons;

1. The staff that he had on board at the end of 2010 was a shadow of the staff he brought in 2005 and he was in complete rebuild mode. I’m not sure he had the pieces in place to rebuild to the level where it had been.

2. I don’t think that personally he was in a good frame to rebuild either. There was a lot more personal things going on with his personal life than went public. I think that both he and his wife needed a break.

3. Urban has never proven the ability to build or re-build. Everywhere he went (except Jacksonville) had a very strong roster with excellent talent leftover from the prior coach. Even OSU never missed a beat in recruiting because Tressel was fired after the 2011 recruiting season and Meyer was announced and hired in time to sign a great first class for 2012.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. There certainly a lot of what-ifs we could discuss. In my version of your scenario, Meyer either keeps Mullen in 2009 or hires a better OC, keeps most of the staff including Charlie Strong on defense, and rides the momentum into a couple championship years. The problem with the 2010 scenario is that the core pieces began falling apart at the end of 2008 as coaches left, high profile recruits went to other schools, and Meyer was losing control of the team (and himself, some might say).

On Pat Dooley’s podcast, Meyer admits some of his failures but speaks highly of his time at Florida. Of course, it’s the Pat Dooley show, I get it. Giving him the benefit of a doubt, I think he learned from his mistakes at Florida and that helped him at Ohio State… but he obviously did not learn enough to stay out of trouble in Columbus or later in Jacksonville. Despite all that, I think he has done enough on the field to get into the College Football Hall of Fame, which might happen before he gets into the Gator Ring of Honor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Why the cheap shot at SOS!

By the way, are you aware that SOS was briefly interested in coming back to UF when the news broke out that Hall was fired. He even directly or indirectly let UF know that he was interested. After giving it a second thought, he realized that 12 years at UF was enough. Thus he withdrew his offer to come back.

By the way:
    • Spurrier already had a connect at USC before he got hired there. Spurrier and Holtz were good friends when that job came open. I am sure this friendship opened that door.
    • Spurrier had some good success at USC. This success enabled him to retire from coaching on a good note.
    • Spurrier, did come back home to UF. Not as a coach but as a Good Will Ambassador. Since then, he pretty much has kept his nose out of the football program. He did not want to ruffle any feathers. He is on record that he was surprised that none of the coaches there from 2012 to 2021, never asked for his advice. I am glad they didn't, because none of their stench got a chance to stick on him.

• Winner Winner x 2