Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congratulations to Brock Clayton to Gators baseball!

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorramrod, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Gatorramrod

Gatorramrod Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Welcome to the Gator Nation. Watched him play at Gulf Breeze before moving on to
    Catholic HS.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dunwoodychris

dunwoodychris Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Walk on?

3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wondering the same. That's what Jud did joining up in December. That made his accomplishments more remarkable in the OF as a freshman. But I don't see him coming in and sitting. Maybe he would take RF???

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    With Guy, Robertson, Ty, and Shelly already here and primed for starting roles in the OF (4 likely starters and only 3 positions already), plus the possibility of Donay, Brookins, or one of the other young guys fighting for opportunities out there, it seems strange. There’s a log jam of guys out there. It’s not a bad idea to come in early and get acquainted with the college S&C program, but most guys that come in early are coming in to play. He’d have to be pretty outstanding defensively and at the plate to just show up and take one of those spots.

3b seems like the only position that doesn’t have people lined up for it with the loser of the SS position likely to take over there, which appears to be Dale. I could see someone pushing Dale for pt at third, or possibly someone pushing Shelton out of SS and over to third. I don’t see anyone pushing Shelton or Kade completely out of the lineup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Strong point, but I'll briefly pluck my one string violin: While I see catcher and shortstop having somewhat higher defensive standards, as long as a guy can play reasonable defense he can win a spot in the lineup with great hitting. Past performance matters, but a guy who gets hot for a few weeks can steal a job from a guy who hit .300 last year, who's in a slump this year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    If he's on the roster in 2024, he's 2026 MLB draft eligible. If not, 2027. He's also an FAU football offer-ee:

Those two facts + only 3 catchers on the roster give him some leverage. Sully might have been in a situation to bring him in this spring or never get him (i.e.; he goes to community college and gets two shots at the draft in 2024 and 2025 or goes to FAU for football and walks on to the baseball team)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1