Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(GYM) ***CLOSED***Gymnastics 2023 - 2024***CLOSED

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by ETGator1, Aug 23, 2023.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    and you continue.

2. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Please, you guys. Just stop. Be civil here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Women's All-Around:

Gold - Simone Biles - USA
    Silver - Rebecca Andrade - Brazil
    Bronze - Suni Lee - USA

From now through the weekend, the medals will be determined for each apparatus.

4. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone should have been

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Saturday - Vault
    Simone Biles - Gold
    Jade Carey - Bronze

Sunday - Bars
    Suni Lee - Bronze
    No Simone Biles?

6. washdcgator

washdcgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    She qualified 9th and didn’t make the cut.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Biles and Lee both fell from beam and did not medal. My niece says all routines had issues but somebody had to win the beam medals. Andrade finished 4th so none of the top gymnasts medaled.

8. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Have you seen anything on Victoria Nguyen coming back for 5th year?

9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Women’s gymnastics are over in Paris:

Floor Results

Rebecca Andrade - Brazil - Gold
    Simone Biles - Silver
    Jordan Chiles - Bronze

10. washdcgator

washdcgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    No. I’m not connected just an experienced observer. We can all hope!!

11. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator GC Legend

Aug 30, 2008
    Acworth, GA
    Olympic gymnastics is over. My take as a fan.

Men's team finals was fantastic. Our guys didn't have the most difficult routines, but all of them competed and delivered what they could do and wasn't riddled with obvious glaring mistakes like falling off. As they finished routines, they were pumped and pumped for each other. Very much like collegiate meets. Overall was refreshing to watch and generally felt happy they achieved what they did.

Men's all around. Watched and enjoyed though the Americans didn't do well, but was entertained. Individual events were meh due to lack of US participation, except for Pomel. Stephen N. Was entertaining.

On the flip side, the women's competition made me appreciate the college competitions even more.

Women's team was good. We smoked everyone. The part that annoyed me is it hardly seemed like a team of 5. Hey were happy when finished, but not overly jubilant. Hezley who bumped Leeann wasn't even asked to do anything. Jade went just once. She did good here, but did perform poorly in the qualifying round due to illness. BUT, they did what they do and delivered big time.

With the women's all around and the individual apparatus events, I just grew tired of the approach. Way way way too much emphasis on difficulty and not enough on execution. This is just a flat out exploit.

I get Simone is great, and I can agree... But she gets silver on floor after stepping out with two feet..... twice. 50 % of her passes were not completed. If that was LSU in the title, we are celebrating because they would be done or that score just flat dropped. Not even close to second place.

Chiles getting bronze on floor was weird, something up there I think. Good for her I suppose, but they allow an inquiry on her score that benefitted a tenth, but the other girls score doesn't get re-evaluated at the same time? Weird. USA I suppose, but meh. Honestly, Chiles and the other chick should have gotten silver and bronze and Simone shouldn't have gotten anything after stepping OB twice.

Beam was weird. The silence was distracting just watching. All of them had to deal with that though. Silver and bronze had major balance checks and even touched the beam, but was the best of the worst. 5 others fell off.

Jade's vaults for bronze seemed legit. Simone smoked her vaults. Both earned.

Suni's uneven bars was good. Probably earned... But she was less than a tenth from 5th. No inquiries that we know of. /Shrug.

Overall, US showed well. Italy had a great Olympics. China was oddly underwhelming.

Kinda glad its over and we can be rewarded with inconsistent judging and just executing as a team again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I particularly agree on difficulty. I prefer difficulty matched with clean performances. Elites looking down their noses at college team gymnastics is completely unwarranted.

College gymnastics has put together a plan to improve judging. So far the plan is unrealized.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Excellent analysis. My wife and I complained the whole time. The college routines are certainly watered down, but the goal is to perfect your routine. I know that Simone is doing things no other woman has/can do, but often she has a major flaw, like four steps on a landing and still be in first. Don't like it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator GC Legend

Aug 30, 2008
    Acworth, GA
    EXACTLY
    Don't get me wrong, I like seeing athletes do really hard stuff, especially when they are supposed to be the best in the world. But that has to be balanced with a risk. Right now there is none, only reward.

All in all, I get trying to reward someone for trying something hard, even getting some judgement "grace" for doing something unique and hard (bound to happen), but there has to be a reasonable result tied to it. I don't think it needs to be a situation where 1 step, or a hop, or an arm-swing hip out balance check invalidates the difficulty of the move. However at the end of the day:
    • a clean average routine and minor deductions should ALWAYS beat a hard routine with 1 major break/fall/1 step out.
    • MAYBE a hard/very hard routine with 1 major issue COULD beat a bare minimum routine
    • 2 feet OB (multiple steps) twice should finish last unless someone else did it 3 times.
    --------
    After reading about Chiles' floor score, it appears the inquiry that netted an additional tenth wasn't about judging an extra step or something, but about an aspect of an element that the judges didn't catch worth a tenth. Given the whole thing, probably right that she finished above the Romanian chick. Still think that she should have gotten silver and the Romanian girl should have gotten bronze. What an awful feeling to be advertised that you won a medal, but then get a "sike. just kidding. You got 4th."

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Proposed Changes to NCAA Women's Gymnastics:

I like moving the season back two weeks as it avoids conflict with March Madness which allows more airtime for women's gymnastics. Too bad it can't be implemented before 2030, likely due to current TV contracts as pointed out by CGN.

NCAA Division I Academic Performance Program (ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com)

Proposed Changes to NCAA Women's Gymnastics and What We Think About Them - College Gym News

Recommendation No. 1 - Increase the number of competing athletes in postseason competition from 15 to 18. This was a recommendation from last year that was tabled until this year. This would take effect in the 2025 season.

Recommendation No. 2 - Add a “super regional” weekend to postseason. The first round would be unchanged. The second round would have eight teams—one of which would be the winner from round one—and four would advance to one of two super regionals, which would be hosted by the top team by NQS. Four teams from each super regional would advance to nationals. This would take effect in the 2026 season.

Recommendation No. 3 - Move the entire season back two weeks. This would allow for more training after winter break prior to competing and no postseason conflict with March Madness. This would take effect in the 2030 season.

Recommendation No. 4 - Add eight Countable Athletically Related Activities (CARA) hours to the summer calendar. This would allow for additional training time in summer to prepare for fall training. This would take effect in the 2024-2025 season.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with your analysis. One thing I found very odd was how many girls failed to stick their landings. Very few. In college gymnastics it seems like the stuck landing often is the difference in routines and determining the outcome. I realize there is added difficulty but the results came off looking rather sloppy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Two Gymnasts Graduate This Weekend:

Pair of Florida Gymnasts Graduate this Weekend - Florida Gators

Commencement Weekend for Gator Student-Athletes - Florida Gators

Victoria Nguyen Gymnastics Education Sciences
    Payton Richards Gymnastics Master's - Entrepreneurship

Congratulations to Payton and Victoria. Payton has used up her eligibility, but Victoria could come back for her 5th year, the last year the covid affected gymnasts can do the additional year.

victoria nguyen (@_victorianguyen) • Instagram photos and videos

victoria nguyen
    _victorianguyen

Athlete
    @gatorsgym // @uflorida ‘24
    • htx. @playerscollxctive

Victoria is showing 24 on her Instagram, may have been that way since last year. Combined with earning her degree, I'm taking this as good news for her coming back for her 5th year in the absence of an official announcement. Yes, I know it is a leap at this point, but I am hopeful she will soon make coming back for her final year official.

EDIT 1:

While on gymnasts coming back for the 2024/25 school year:

Jade Carey has announced her return to Oregon State and Jordan Chiles has announced her return to UCLA after performing in the Paris Olympics.

EDIT 2:

Shilese Jones has publicly closed the door on Florida and college gymnastics:

Gymnast Shilese Jones Makes Big Announcement After Missing 2024 Paris Olympics (msn.com)

Shilese Jones | Thank you to all of my beautiful supporters for your love & kind words.❤️ I’m devastated beyond words... 4 weeks ago I was ripped away… | Instagram

Injury prone at her advancing age and dedicating herself to LA 2028 isn't the smartest thing she can do but makes sense for someone who isn't interested in education as backdoor stated by CJR when she announced UF's November 2023 signees value education.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Note for participants:

Once we have our final roster for the 2024/25 year, I'll start a new thread for Gymnastics 2024-2025. I'd like to know who will be with UF for the 25 season before starting the new thread. When the new thread is opened, I'll mark this thread as closed by editing the thread title.

What is good about doing the annual threads is the seasons are compartmentalized in individual threads so information can be more easily found in thread searches based on years.

Last year, it was voted unanimously to open new threads for each year. If that has changed, let me know. Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. washdcgator

washdcgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you for keeping this thread running! It is truly appreciated from afar!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    14 WCGA Scholastic All-Americans

WCGA 2024 Academic Rankings - Google Sheets

Gators Earn WCGA Scholastic All-America Honors - Florida Gators

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Fourteen Gators earned Women's Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA) Scholastic All-America honors. The WCGA recognizes the academic accomplishments of collegiate gymnasts each season.

Florida recorded a cumulative GPA of 3.6788 for the 2023-24 academic year – the highest among the eight teams advancing to the 2024 NCAA Championships final site and tops among Southeastern Conference programs.

To qualify for the WCGA Scholastic All-America team, a gymnast must have a GPA of 3.50 for either the preceding academic year or have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above at the nominating institution.

Gators Earning WCGA Scholastic All-America Honors

Alyssa Arana Social & Behavioral Sciences
    Sloane Blakely Health Education, & Behavior
    Lori Brubach Sport Management
    Chloi Clark Sport Management
    Gabby Disidore Social & Behavioral Sciences
    Brianna Edwards Psychology
    Danie Ferris Social & Behavioral Sciences
    Morgan Hurd English
    Ellie Lazzari Psychology
    Michala Magee Journalism
    Riley McCusker Applied Physiology & Kinesiology