Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(GYM) ***CLOSED***Gymnastics 2023 - 2024***CLOSED

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by ETGator1, Aug 23, 2023.

1. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Nice that they have at least one coach that is classy :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    An interesting sidebar in the competition. Sahvanna Schoenherr, the previous Gator gymnast had a fall on the beam which put LSU in the precarious position of having to hit their final four routines. They did it and won the title. Probably a sweet and sour moment for Sahvana, as she was shown crying after the match was won.

3. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Very proud of these ladies, so many freshmen on the squad. They really overachieved when you think of what they were able to accomplish!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Who do we expect to add to the squad after the Olympics?

5. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sahvanna holding trophy with a smile on her face. Good for her!

6. denvergator1987

denvergator1987 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Curious what was Leanne's score on Floor X? Proud of our Gym Gators. They had a fantastic season, just came up a little short today. Our future is bright! It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Utah started that final rotation with a slight lead over LSU, but quickly had 2 falls on the vault. LSU kept their cool after their beam fall by former Gator Savannah Schoenherr and finished very strong. Congrats to them. Very consistent team the entire year.
    Looking at our scores, Draser was once again very consistent in her 3 events. Nguyen had a bad beam, Pilgrim was OK, but not up to her usual standards especially on the vault. She usually gets 1 or 2 scores over 9, but not today. Danie Ferris was solid in her 2 events, Wong was subpar on the vault and then came off the beam. Lazzari had a bad vault and Blakeney had a great beam and then OK on her other 2.
    Looking forward to next season, as we'll have a few changes in the make-up of the team and will be back in the hunt again.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. denvergator1987

denvergator1987 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Thanks.
    Nice comeback from a poor beam routine.

Good luck to all our Gators in the Olympic team competition! Would absolutely love to see Trinity make it to Paris!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Gators who were honored on senior night were Victoria Nguyen, Chloi Clark, Payton Richards, Ellie Lazzari and Michala Magee.
    Unless any of them transfer out, our 6 freshmen who will be sophomores next year and were the #1 ranked recruiting class, consist of: Anya Pilgrim, Skylar Draser, Danie Ferris, Gabbie Disidore, Kaylee Bluffstone & Alyssa Arana.
    Signed for the 2025 class and due to enroll probably this summer are:
    5-star Lily Bruce, 4-star Taylor Clark, 3-star Alyssa Orgen and 5-star Skye Blakely, who signed in November 2022, who has all kinds of titles and accolades with Team USA.
    In addition we should get Riley McCusker and Kayla DiCello back, plus have Sloane Blakely, Lori Brubach, Bri Edwards, Morgan Hurd and Leann Wong on the roster with eligibility remaining.
    It will be interesting to see if any of these ladies transfers out and/or if Coach Rowland tries to add any competitors from the transfer portal. Plenty of talent there to be in the Top 5 again next year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. washdcgator

washdcgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I love our team and they overachieved. They are missing that fierce alpha like Sloan or Hunter or McMurty or Thomas who will stick cold in pressure moments. LSU deserved it. Even if we stick vaults and Wong doesn’t fall we still would not have won. Can’t say enough about Draser. What a rock.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I thought I read recently that Ellie was going to return. Maybe I'm losing it :)

13. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Congrats ladies. Go Gators!

14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My Preseason Top 4:

1. LSU
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Utah
    4. Florida

Nationals Final Top 4:

1. LSU - SEC
    2. California - PAC 12
    3. Utah - PAC 12
    4. Florida - SEC

LSU had an excellent final. Their Dr. Jeckyl beam team showed up. When that happens, the only other team that could have beaten them was Oklahoma. While LSU was a bit low on their normal floor, the tiggers posted a season high on beam easily covering Savannah's fall off the beam.

Undervalued California coming into the season. I'll be sure to look closer at their 2025 roster before predicting them again. Based on the performances that I watched during the season, they did as well as they could with the correct judging.

Utah had a shot at the national championship after 3 rotations, but the Red Rocks had to finish on vault. The vault to Utah is like the beam to LSU. Their performance can go either way. The Red Rock had to accept a low score which not only cost them a shot at the national championship but dropped them to 3rd place at .05 behind California.

Florida was playing with house money so I'm not at all surprised with the 4th place finish. I couldn't be prouder of this team and what it accomplished in 2024 than if they had shocked the gymnastics world by winning the national championship. Not to worry, the Gators will be back as the likely #1 or #2 team in the nation with a stacked roster in 2025. My keys to winning the 2024 national championship:

Maintain vault - fail
    Improve on bars - fail
    Win or tie on beam - fail
    Score 49.600 on floor - fail

Unfortunately, the national final was more like the SECs than the Gainesville Regional. I knew the meet was over for the Gators after the first rotation.

Congratulations to CJR and the 2024 Florida Gators on a job well done. My only beef with the 2024 season is that Jenny Rowland did not win or share SEC Coach of the Year but can't worry about that now. UF has a great future with unlimited possibilities just a short distance down the road. When you finish #4 in what many considered to be a rebuilding year, you know you have a program that is excellent.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Two senior contributors who can return for their 5th year:

Ellie Lazzari - Ellie confirmed returning.
    Victoria Nguyen - Unannounced

5th year leadership is always beneficial.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    @ETGator1 thank you for sharing all your knowledge on gymnastics this year..I respect your views/perceptions/opinions and all the information you provide..you do an excellent job and I appreciate it..
    Could you provide information on our roster ( gymnasts) for next year including any transfers?
    Again thank you...I do rely on you for the most update and correct information
    Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely to updating for the 2025 roster. I thought I'd give the 2024 season a chance to breath first.

How cool would it be to have Jade Carey transfer in? I'm not sure at this moment when the women's gymnastics transfer window opens and closes.

Ellie Lazzari confirmed her intention to come back for her 5th season. I don't see Ellie in more than one, maybe two, lineups which is fine by me. I think Ellie spread herself too thin trying to be an all arounder in 2024. I'd rather her specialize and put up regular 9.9s on whatever lineup she is in, just too many dropped scores in 2024.

It's likely that how goes Victoria Nguyen on her 5th year so goes Morgan Hurd.

College Gym News tracks Covid 5th years:

Tracking 2025 COVID Years - College Gym News

What if Shilese Jones doesn't make the 5 member US Team going to the Paris Olympics? Does she change her mind about education or does she stick with going pro. I think it's likely the latter, but time will tell. I'm not holding my breath as she may have burned her UF bridge when she didn't sign last November.

In any case, I'll be regularly looking at the news for any tidbits I can find.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1