Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(GYM) ***CLOSED***Gymnastics 2023 - 2024***CLOSED

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by ETGator1, Aug 23, 2023.

1. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I had to mute the announcers at times

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think part of the biased announcing was John Rothlisberger admitting at the end of the meet that he has known Raena Worley since she was 6 years old. He picked Kentucky last week and this week as his last final four team after OU, Cal, and LSU. Last week, the lady announcer picked Michigan State as her "surprise" final four team.

Kathy Johnson today did pick UF to be in her final four over Utah and UK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I'm sure when Bridget Sloan co-announces, other schools think she lends bias towards Florida. Overall, I think the gymnastics announcers do a very good job of lauding all top performances regardless of the team as well as explaining where deductions should be made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Very fun meet to watch. With low scores fairly early in the vault and bars, the rest of the team really stepped up with the pressure on! It has been very fun watching this team grow. I agree with @ETGator1. IMO, this is the best coaching job Jenny has done at UF.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. washdcgator

washdcgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I watch these meets every week and have for years. They consistently gush over UF and did so today. They called Leanne Wong virtuoso. They raved about Anya Pilgrim and the UF freshmen. The called Morgan Hurd a beautiful person. They called Coach Rowland a silent assassin. They lauded Victoria Nguyen for her beautiful gracefulness. I thought they equally complimented both teams. They are typically very pro UF. They still rave about Trinity Thomas. I’ve always been pleased with the coverage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Update on meet score corrections:

1. Morgan Hurd's 9.95 floor score was added to UF's 5 average so the final score for the Gators was 198.225. Road to Nationals made the corrections as well.

2. The reason Lori Brubacher's floor score was raised from 9.750 to 9.850 is that her foot was on the line, but her heel remained above out of bounds. The .1 deduction was taken away and she was hit with just the large lunge backwards of .150. I watched the replay several times and her heel did not hit the out of bounds floor. I'd wager UF challenged the out of bounds deduction.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    My wife and I also questioned whether Lori's heel touched out of bounds. I'm glad they fixed it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    BTW, a couple more observations:

- I couldn't be happier for Morgan for her floor exercise. Almost perfection. She has had to deal with so much adversity with her injuries. But she has kept a positive attitude and been a consummate team player. To see her perform so well was very special.

- Anya's reaction to her 10 was also special. Her expression was priceless. I'm so happy for her and so happy she's a Gator. I look forward to many more great performances by her in the coming years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It was the score UF dropped, but Lori deserved the 9.85. Everything else she did past the first pass was perfection.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Payton Richards was at the UK meet. The announcer said she has hopes of being back to performing by post season. It would be cool to have her depth back in time for the SECs or the Gainesville Regional. UF is a better team with Payton available.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    SEC Regular Season Champion:

Gators Gymnastics on X: "The regular season title is ours 2024 SEC champs ✨ https://t.co/YPhISue5iA" / X (twitter.com)

No. 5 Florida Wins at No. 6 Kentucky - Florida Gators

SEC Standings (as of March 3, 2024)

School
    SEC Record Overall

Florida 6-1 11-1
    LSU 5-2 8-3
    Kentucky 4-3 7-4
    Alabama 3-3-1 9-3-1
    Arkansas 4-2-1 7-5-1
    Missouri 2-5 8-5
    Auburn 2-5 6-7
    Georgia 1-6 2-6

The top 4 teams will be in the evening session of the SEC Tourney.

I'm wondering if UF will get the Olympics Order in the SEC Tourney since the Gators won the SEC Championship and beat LSU head-to-head. LSU's higher NQS is for NCAA seeding, not SEC Tourney seeding. I'd like to see LSU's Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde beam team have to finish on beam.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  12. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Week 9 Teams That Scored 198:

Oklahoma 198.650 (Friday)
    LSU 198.325
    Oklahoma 198.300 (Sunday)
    Florida 198.225
    California 198.100
    Kentucky 198.100
    Denver 198.025

Oklahoma used the same lineups on Sunday as they did on Friday. They usually do an exhibition on the 4 events to develop depth. It could be the sooners Achilles heel is lack of quality depth, can't afford injuries in their starting lineups.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    This week's gymnastics event is a quad meet in Lincoln, NE that includes Florida, Nebraska, Eastern Michigan and Lindenwood. It's Saturday at 7 pm on the Big 10+ Network, which is NOT available via the ESPN app.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Road to Nationals Fully Updated Week 9 NQS Rankings:

Standings (roadtonationals.com)

Minnesota slid out of the top 16 while Oregon State moved into the #16 slot.

15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    It will be a crime if Jenny Rowalnd doesn't win SEC coach of the year and should get a lot of votes for national COY.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    On December 10 in post #225, I went out on a limb and sawed it off posting my preseason top 12 predictions. The following are my predictions, the WCGA preseason predictions, and where the teams are NQS ranked 1 - 12 after week 9 and 3 meets away from the NCAAs:

ETGator1-------------WCGA-------------Week 9
    1. LSU----------------Oklahoma--------Oklahoma
    2. Oklahoma---------Florida------------California
    3. Utah---------------LSU---------------LSU
    4. Florida-------------Utah--------------Florida
    5. Michigan-----------UCLA-------------Utah
    6. California----------Michigan---------Kentucky
    7. Alabama-----------California--------Michigan
    8. UCLA---------------Alabama---------Michigan State
    9. Kentucky-----------Kentucky--------Alabama
    10. Michigan State---Denver-----------UCLA
    11. Oregon State-----Michigan State--Denver
    12. Missouri-----------Missouri---------Arkansas

I thought Olivia Trautman who always came on late to impact OU's seasons would be a bigger loss that it has been. Others stepped up when called upon.

Still think LSU has the most talent and depth in the nation. The tiggers need to stop putting up Dr. Jeckyl performances on beam and stick a few more landings on vault and bars. Winning the SEC Tourney in New Orleans and a national championship in Dallas is within LSU's reach.

Florida is where I thought the Gators would be, but who could see an SEC Championship and the improvement every meet of the season. Whatever CJR and the gymnasts are doing, keep doing it.

California has overperformed with the help of PAC 12 judging. To me, Cal is a good team, not a great team.

Utah hasn't been their best on vault and bars.

Michigan State is the best team in the B1G, not Michigan, and will be a dangerous team in post season.

Denver is better than I thought after losing Linzie Brown.

Arkansas has basically swapped places with Missouri.

Oregon State is improving late and has moved into the #16 slot in the week 9 NQS.

I have done fairly good on my preseason predictions but have only hit on 10 of the top 12 to date. The WCGA preseason poll has 11 of the top 12 including Oklahoma at the top of the ticket. After nationals, I'll do a final comparison.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    It is on Sling.

18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Same as not having it. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Sling isn't great but my costs are lower and I get lots of Gator events with it.