Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Clayton to start at PG

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by Ahab, Aug 6, 2024.

1. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How about Klavzar or Aberdeen deciding this during practice sessions first?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    I didn't see this coming with the addition of Martin and Urban, but I trust in Todd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Golden already went on record saying that Martin would play some at the one, but wouldn't be full-time there. Also, if you listen to the interview with Rothstein, all he says is that they plan on Clayton starting at the one (presumably alongside Martin), not that Clayton would play exclusively at the one. Plus, I don't see us giving heavy minutes to Klavzar early on. He isn't an "add water" player. He brings a ton of experience and some real savvy offensive playmaking, but he isn't that big, athletic, or physical.

Golden talks in that interview about the jump he expects Aberdeen--along with Condon and Haugh--to make. But I take starting Clayton as more of a calculated move to get the best player on your team more opportunities with the ball in his hands. The kid is an elite scorer on or off the ball. His pick and roll game, his ability to score in the lane, and his transition game are exceptional. He won't ever be a 5 assist/game point guard, but neither was Roberson. Or Wilbekin as a senior. Or Sears in his first year starting at Bama. And what Clayton did to Kentucky, Bama, Colorado, among others, with the ball in his hands was remarkable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    The bigger question mark is total minutes at the PG spot for him, not whether he starts or not.

I don't think he'll get the bulk of the minutes there, when it's all said and done.

Can't wait to find out - we're going to have another fun season.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Interesting. Though I'd guess this won't look like last year's team in the sense of having one person (ZP) bringing the ball up the floor for most posessions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    I recall the reports on this site saying he's physical and strong, no?

Hard to gauge his true athleticism with those highlight videos, but I think he'll be fine in the SEC (we'll see). I believe he shot 43% from 3....He has the potential to work his way into the rotation by SEC play, IMO. We have so many lineup options - going to see fun to see how TFG maximizes our talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007

In theory, I'm not sure I would have made this choice, this early, but I trust Coach Golden . . . and it sure gives us something to discuss. LOL! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This is the advantage college basketball has over football -- there's time to try things out early in the season and see what happens. Our season isn't ruined if Clayton is terrible at point and we lose to Virginia. You figure it out and adjust accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    1. I hope he's far more careful with the ball than he was at times last year 2. I hope that he's just as effective on offense on the ball as he was off the ball. I think if neither are true we might see more PG by committee, with Martin, Urban and even Aberdeen getting some minutes at the 1

• Like Like x 2
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I think CTG just told WC Jr. he'd get first shot at PG. Which was the right thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    speaking of point guards, does anyone know if/when Urban and Kublickas are on campus?

13. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I have to think Clayton’s future (if there is one) in the nba is at pg. Given him coming back and his talent, it makes since to support him in making that jump. I have no doubt that if a better option surfaces, Golden will do what maximizes our tourney chances (long way from here to there).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 67walkon

67walkon VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe necessary to get Clayton back?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clayton shouldn't be expending the energy to handle the ball and run the offense, plus I don't think he has a great handle like Pullin. I believe it was the UVa game where Clayton played point and everyone wanted him relegated to the bench after that game.

16. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    It was his second game in an entirely new offense with new teammates against a much higher level of competition than Iona. He also had no legitimate backup that game and was playing against one of the tougher defenses and against one of the better defensive point guards in the country. But other than that...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Winderman is not very insightful and has been harping on Clayton’s inability to play point for a while. I take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    He plays aggressively, but he is hardly a physical defender, and he doesn't rebound at a great rate. He is definitely competitive, though. That's another thing I love about this team: Clayton, Martin, Klavzar, Condon, among others, are insanely competitive. We kinda lacked that "dog" mentality last year. You can see that defensively, but also when it came time to take big shots or make big plays.

19. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    In Todd We Trust!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well coach is working the practices so we must assume he has good reason to make this decision based on what he sees!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1