Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Class Rankings

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, May 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    It may happen once in a while, but would be extremely rare, imo. A late bloomer in hs who’d always wanted to play for a specific team, but their class is full up at his position may take a pwo offer. May even fight to get one.

Overall, we are in agreement. This is not something that’s happening on a regular basis, and it’s a very risky move for your normal kid who just wants to play ball. If they can get a full ride and likely play somewhere else, it makes little sense for them to accept a pwo offer here, unless we are paying significantly over market value for them and they have some real guarantees on NIL money, roster spots, and pt. These guys could be cut from the roster entering their first season and be left out in the cold. It’s just a huge risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s exactly what I’m saying and they might not be as rare as you think. Our pwo qb certainly can get a full scholly somewhere right? Why he chose to pwo behind two 5* guys only he knows. My guess would be a nice opportunity for elite education but that’s just me. He may have dreams of playing here. Longshot for sure but who knows what he’s thinking. I’m not suggesting top 300 players are lining up to sit the bench but how many pwo guys will we have. How many does Bama carry? How many does byu carry. Some of those guys will end up playing.

3. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Grey shirts are a way around the yearly counters rule. They’re asking those kids to hold off on their enrollment until spring. They’re not getting any use of those kids until after they’re on scholly and then they also count towards the following years initial counters.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Exactly. Pwo circumvents all that and it’s legal now. That would have gotten a school violations before nil. Now a booster can fund up to 105 effectively making the roster number 105 instead of 85. I see that causing a new rule to keep the roster at 85

5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They all get paid some NIL money too even though they don't start classes until the second semester in their freshman year.. It's been that was for some teams... for a long time.

You need to just stop talking about it. I made my point a while ago and you just want to argue.

I'm done.

6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    CD was a walk-on initially to FL. He had an offer to FSU and strongly considered going, but then at the last minute he said he just couldn't do it.

85 schollies max. If some 3 stars or lower want to come as PWO's and you think they have some talent, take them. You never know when you might get a Louis Oliver, Pat Moorer, Chris Doering, or Kyle Trask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m just saying it’s highly unlikely you’re going to stack much usable talent this way. You aren’t going to lure many kids that will actually see the field with pwo offers.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s no different than the bottom part of any roster. The last five guys in a class are a longshot to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    You may get as many kids to go this route as bama got to grey shirt, which wasn’t many.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The grey shirts count though, pwo are free spots that don’t count against our 85 roster. I say take as many as we have the money for. We are almost at 85 as it is. Why not take a low 3* star oline guy that is only 260# but in a couple years may be a different story. Sure he could go to Louisiana Monroe on scholly but maybe he prefers UF and a shot. 86+ will be pwo’s. How many will there be is the only question. How many do we have so far? How big were the Bears rosters before they made rules to prevent what he was doing? It’s happening and they aren’t called grey shirts anymore. These kids believe they can do it and want to do it at big boy schools.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s a no brainer if it’s an option. You’re losing nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m not saying not to. I’m just saying it’s highly unlikely you stack any real amount of usable talent this way.

The bear was giving actual schollys to all those kids. The pwo is a risky move for a kid who actually wants to play and/or get his college paid for.

13. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I thought we were originally talking about stacking kids who would actually play, not the same type of talent we normally take as walk ons and pwo’s.

14. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m all for trying, but you listed 3-4 guys from 30+ years ago. That hardly shows a pattern of being able to get usable talent this way. Trask got a full ride too.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s a one year scholarship either way. If you’re at the bottom of the class, you’re the first guy cut

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m talking about fringe kids that may help later. Not much money involved. Let him go to class and eat. If he good, great. If not, not much lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I think we mostly started on the same page. The pwo and grey shirt conversations have morphed into one weird conversation where none of us seem to be grasping what the other is saying. Lol. I’m not trying to piss you off. None of us are really that far off from the other. I am for what wanne wants, I just don’t see it as a way to get some stockpile of usable talent. It will take someone to step up and actually do it though, and I wouldn’t count on our admin stepping up and trying to get a system like this in place. Will take a dedicated booster, and seems like a lot of energy for very little return.

I was having the pwo conversation with wanne on another thread too, so there may also be some context lost if you missed us talking on the other thread.

18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    After you’ve received your scholarship for that year and all the benefits that go along with it. Pwo kids can be cut on the first day. It’s just a big risk man. I’m not saying nobody will do it, just not many.

19. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Then I grossly misunderstood where your head was at when we started talking about this in the other thread. I thought we were trying to add more usable talent to the roster. I still don’t think you’re going to lure many of TCU’s starters here on pwo deals, and I don’t think bama and uga are buying up all this fringe talent with pwo’s, but I have a better understanding of where your head is at.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Those TCU starters weren’t that 3-5 years ago they were kids ranked outside the top 500.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.