Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Christain Pastor calls autistic kids "junk" that god didn't make

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Sep 15, 2023.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    And so the quote goes …

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize,”

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I give up. I may just remove myself from these conversations for a while. It is clear that a small group of people will feel free to just rip every single sensational headline and disparage the group...while absolutely losing their minds if anyone does it to another group.

Your inability to see it in yourselves is telling.
    Your ivory tower 8s made of sand though.

If I did that about any other group, it would be called bigotry by many of those same people.

It would be nice if some of the more reasonable people in that side of the aisle started calling it out, but hey... team first right?

Enjoy your Saturday fellas...Go Gators!

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Clearly there are a lot of idiots and lots of so called Christians who clearly don’t even understand the teachings of Christ.

A year or so ago we went to a funeral of a young adult son of a friend of ours. He took his own life and finally succeeded after several prior attempts. He was Asperger’s (very high functioning autistic). He was born within days of our daughter, who has her own issues, so we had seen him at various points most of his life.

It was a church funeral, I don’t know the exact denomination something like Presbyterian or Lutheran , but I was really impressed with the empathy the pastor exhibited in discussing the young man, his virtues, and the difficulty of mental illness. I’m not a believer at all, and can sometimes be jaded at the bad behavior of some Christians, but to a degree this gentlemen redeemed my impression that there are some really good Christians out there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Speaking for left of center people like myself it’s hard to be deeply hypocritical when you freely admit to several of the 7 “cardinal” sins. In my case fornification, avarice and wrath. Disbelief of the concept of god further eliminates opportunities to be hypocritical.

meanwhile on the right

5. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    unfortunately that’s as old as Christianity itself.

6. tilly

And I think this story tells the real day to day of the true Christian walk. My father, a minister and LEO chaplain sees so many tragic things. The amount of empathy, sympathy and grace he shows when delivering such tragic news and counseling the grieving is hard to explain.

My daughters best friend, 17, woke up this week to find her seemingly perfectly healthy/fit mother dead in her bed. No signs of any illness, but turns out she had a perviously unknown health condition that took her far too young. My 17 year old has been the rock for her best friend. She will likely be living with us for the remainder of her senior year. (dad lives in Raleigh and doesnt want to uproot her).

Seeing my daughter literally mirror Jesus (and her grandfather) while loving this friend has blessed my soul.

That is what Christianity is. All the other stuff that we hear about isnt "christian". It just isn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The word "Autism" didn't even exist until the 1900s ... if that's the standard you are trying to use to pretend that people with mental problems were not misdiagnosed as "demon possessed" then it's about the lamest attempt I can imagine. I already gave you an example of a person likely with schizophrenia begin diagnosed by Dr. Jesus as "demon possessed", and it's also interesting to note that schizophrenia is how autism was diagnosed prior to it having it's own name.

8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The problem isn’t a guy like that, it’s those that have intertwined religion and politics. I’m sure there are plenty of good churches out there with politically (if not ethnically) diverse congregations.

Those that use religion as a cudgel in politics are almost without fail massive hypocrites, if not total frauds/pieces of shit, I dare say it can only be a path towards evil. At minimum they have zero understanding of this nations founding principles. Those characters were always there, bizarre to me there is definitely MORE of them now (in politics). I guess as of now, their ability to reach people online is outstripping the ability of people to process their bs. As the old P.T. Barnum saying goes, a sucker is born every minute.

9. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    You Christians are just so persecuted. You remind me of Bill Donahue of the Catholic league.

10. tilly

First, thank you for being one to say the truth.

I know what you wrote is accurate, but some here are so brazen with it and dont even realize how insulting it is. Especially when those people claim to be tolerant and will be the first to tell us not to judge everyone by the bad apples of a group.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

This coming from the chief perpetrator of the insults will cost me no sleep.

...But you know if I said any of the things you feel so free to say about any 9ther group and you would call me out and use it as another one of your lame excuses to leave the country as soon as you are able.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    So you think the events in the New Testament actually happened. I don’t know how to deal with that.

13. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Billions, I think you are overestimating the amount of people who still believe your fairytales.

• Like Like x 1
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are a good person for looking after her and there are clearly many who follow the clear intentions of Christian teachings, not cherry picking particular points. Unfortunately there are far too many who don’t really get it and can be awful people from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    It’s like believing in Christ has almost no impact on whether a person is ok or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It’s far more complicated that that. There are many who call themselves Christians and individually are great people and would do anything for you and give you the shirt off their back, yet at the same time follow Trump and get caught up in right wing idiocy. It is kind of tough to reconcile.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    So then how many Trumpsters aren’t “true Christians”?

10 million? 25 million? 50 million? Give us an estimate. I assume whatever the number, they’d probably take offense at being told they aren’t even Christian.

I find this argument interesting, because I’ve long said the modern GOP is hardly compatible with Christianity. That is why for decades the party embraced pro-life/abortion to lure in single issue Christian voters. I guess hoping they’d look past everything else. Now what you have ended with is a deranged Christofascist movement with Donald Trump as their lord god.

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I think there is some truth to that. Christians are people and on balance are no less or no more good than others. I think there are many who either believe based on growing up with it, and some take it up for selfish reasons.

19. tilly

Well "likely" sure seems like a solid position. And the primitive views that a Hebrew person in Jesus day may have had
    certainly prove any point you have about today. Its noted how you leaped right past the mentions of anxiety and depression in scripture as id they dont exist. Probably because they shoot down your narrative.
    Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.

20. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Democrats are the arch single issue voters - vote against Trump. BTW, the Bible condemns hate.