Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Christain Pastor calls autistic kids "junk" that god didn't make

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Sep 15, 2023.

1. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    You would benefit from expanding your reading list from true believers to skeptics. Read stuff with an open mind. If you come to your conclusions before starting your reading or research you can actually learn something and expand your knowledge.

2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    it seems odd that you'd think that some events in the bible would not be true....why wouldn't they be? pretty much all fiction I've ever read refers to real people, events, etc.

3. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    How do you know I haven’t listen to or read skeptics? In fact, just this afternoon I listen to an hour and a half video featuring not just a skeptic, but a diehard atheist. It’s really best not to make presumptions about people based upon preconceived ideas.

In case you’re interested in widening your listening list:

• Like Like x 1
  4. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I’d be curious what exactly you consider fiction in the New Testament. None of the books in the New Testament take the form of fiction. The literary genres of the New Testament are ancient biography, history, letters, and apocalyptic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010

form? Form does NOT determine fiction v. non fiction. I can write a fictional dictionary. isn't this a rather famous verse from the NT?

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” virgin birth, child sacrifice, everlasting life???? yeah, 'at don't sound like fiction at all....&, that's just 1 verse. oh, & God seemed to only love a very small part of the world. Oh, & just to max the dickishness, you gotta believe in the child sacrificer & magic sperm dude, or else you're screwed

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    It’s interesting that when I press reply, it reveals more than what appeared in your original post. Very strange.

That verse does not sound like fiction to me. It sounds like hope! And that hope is available to you if you want it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    hope for what? It sounds like a manifesto of ungrateful pricks. More, more give me more. Sad

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Any other book containing similar sentiments you would immediately label fiction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

He said he would kill his kids. Full stop. Gross.

Imagine if I said I would shoot my kid if they were gay. or Muslim or went to FSU.

Its disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. tilly

Imagine if we talked like this about any other group. And some of you think Christians have no right to feel like they are being targeted. Just read this post. This is literally the framework of the Christian faith being mocked and ridiculed openly and without a care.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    LOL, people who cover their faces to keep out theoretical rogue nanoparticles dismissing Bible stuff out of hand.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    That particular pastor has certainly gone wayward. I personally would not generalize from it. There are also a lot of Christian organizations out there that do a lot of really good support of mankind that would make Jesus/God proud. Or any decent person proud, for that matter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. tilly

Well said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The atheist is like a bloated tick, on the back of a dog, who bellows, “There is no Dog!”

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    1. write it down in a book
    2. encourage people to read the book. put it in hotel rooms, mail them for free, hand them out on the street
    3. someone reads the book & thinks it's nonsense & sez so (just like Marxism, etc)
    4. claim victimhood b/c they didn't just keep their month shut

btw, all kinds of groups get mocked on here for their beliefs - Marxists, climate change believers, climate change deniers, capitalists, dems, anti-vaxxers, election deniers, pubs, cons, & so on. Heck, atheists are being mocked ON THIS THREAD....you seem blind to it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course it's hyperbole

18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I may hesitate getting into this. I think I have already set out my positions on these issues at length and don't feel like retyping.

But I will just note, by way of illustration, that most serious scholars on the subject, including many believers, are certain that Matthew 27:52-53 is not literally true - just could not have happened without being recorded even when few things were.

Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

I don't believe it to be literally true and see no contradiction with believing the Nicene Creed, the language that early Church Fathers determined formed the core of necessary belief to be a Christian. Recite the Apostles Creed most days, Nicene Creed weekly. Without reservation. But don't accept the literal truth of those passages, among others, although I believe they convey a theological truth.

All I will say for now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. tilly

You called God a dick. Yeah thats the same as saying Marxism is a bad option.

Your comment was meant to inflame. Just own it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. tilly

"Theological truth" is lost on the believer and unbeliever alike sadly. The scriptures can be true even when the seemingly literal may indeed just be crafted for theological truth.

• Agree Agree x 1