Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cheap Oil?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Oct 2, 2024 at 11:20 AM.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So are you saying any strategic petroleum reserve transaction during the entire year of the election is “right before the election”

Also, what are your thoughts when countries like KSA try to influence election results by increasing or decreasing production before an election?

2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    In lieu of eliminating the SPR why not make actions regarding it rule based rather than discretionary?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 10:11 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    If oil drops to $50 a barrel Putin's war in Ukraine is done and they tuck tail. As John McCain said Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country...there will be no more money to finance his war and since 20% of their gdp comes from oil/gas. Of course Putin could also increase that oil price by using a nuke as a last ditch effort...

4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The dates of those SPR withdrawals this year, please? Also, differentiate between actual sales and loans to petroleum companies that are paid back in oil. I'll hang up and listen.

5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Let’s keep this very simple. What was Biden’s purpose in releasing oil from SPR? What was the compelling national security issue the action was designed to address?
    I am opposed to all forms of foreign activity designed to influence our domestic elections, one way or the other. That goes for the oil monarchies manipulating prices; China, Russia, and Iran funding the crazies on both sides; or the Pope telling Catholics how to vote. Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything we can realistic do about foreign influence apart from naming and shaming the countries involved and/or prosecuting foreign agents (yes, including U.S. citizens) whom we catch enabling it.

6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    This article, found in 30 seconds, says the last release happened in May of this year and makes no pretense about it being a national security decision.

Biden to release 1 million barrels of gasoline to reduce prices at the pump ahead of July 4

Like I said, if you’re okay with Republicans also using national security tools for domestic political gain, then fine, nothing else to debate on the subject. Personally, I’m not. This is the kind of executive authority I want guardrailed to mitigate against abuse. I feel the same way about the abuse of pardons.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Well they refused to do it when oil as near $20/brl so it shouldn’t be a shock if they didn’t do it when it was below $50.
    As I understand it the shale guys can still produce for a time under $40 as it costs more to shit down and restart than taking a loss for a while.

8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I am just confused by your terminology of “before the election”. This shows they were actually purchasing in July of 2024

https://www.energy.gov/articles/bid...4-million-barrels-strategic-petroleum-reserve

I think some of the reserve releases related to supply disruptions due to Ukraine war at the same time as widespread post covid inflation. One can debate if that was a good use but it seems far from nefarious.

This particular small release in the NE was mandated by Congress.

Biden releasing 1 million barrels of gasoline from Northeast reserve

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Nefarious is not a word I would use, no. I just think temporarily lowering oil prices is not the purpose of the SPR, and Presidents (all of them) should be more restricted in their authority.