Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can't we just buy the best team in CFB??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Dec 8, 2023.

1. gatorgrad87

gatorgrad87 Freshman

Oct 10, 2018
    Maybe the folks with wealth don't feel like paying for it.

2. gatorrob87

gatorrob87 Senior

Oct 28, 2023
    Citra, Florida
    So who is going to coach them? As of today, no ST coach, no DL coach, no secondary coach, and one to many chefs in the kitchen with OL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I never said that this administration was listening to anyone's advice. I am saying that if anyone knew the answer to the OP's question, "[Why] can't we just buy the best team in football?", that someone would be making a lot of money giving that advice and the Gators would be winning games. I think the AD, AD Emeritus, and UAA are stuck in the 1990s, maybe early 2000s in their thinking--even if Florida landed a better coach.

4. This is why I like the trust fund idea. Florida is in the top five or ten in terms of wealthy donors, so give them a trust fund with tax write-offs to dump their money and figure out a legal way to pay the players through that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Our Collective, according to people who know in these boards, is Top 10. Our revenue is top 10. We have the money. That is not a mystery. But, to your point, why aren’t we going after the big fish? It’s really baffling.

6. gatorrob87

gatorrob87 Senior

Oct 28, 2023
    Citra, Florida
    What does “so scared I just pooped my pants money” make?

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. gatorgrad87

gatorgrad87 Freshman

Oct 10, 2018
    Maybe someone on the board knows more, but from what I can find online, UF is not even in the top 20. Granted, based on the sources, I wouldn't take it to the bank.

8. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    It's almost like we want to hold on to the purity of the "old way" of building a program similar to Dabo

Unfortunately that train has left the station.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorrob87

gatorrob87 Senior

Oct 28, 2023
    Citra, Florida
    [​IMG]

10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    This may have something to do with it but I am not sure.

Our collective is set up as a non profit so they cannot for tax purposes over compensate any individual or they will lose their tax exempt status.
    https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.go... pool together,have been formed as nonprofits.

Special Rules Governing Tax-Exempt NIL Collectives

Collectives that obtain a tax exemption should be mindful of special rules that apply to tax-exempt entities. The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of an IRC § 501(c)(3) organization’s net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

If a non-profit NIL collective engages in an activity, that does not constitute a permissible purpose for a tax-exempt organization; the IRS could tax revenues from this activity as unrelated business income, i.e., income from a trade or business, regularly carried on, that is not substantially related to the collective’s exempt purpose.

If the IRS finds that the tax-exempt NIL Collective’s activities constitute a primary or substantial non-exempt purpose of the organization, the IRS could revoke its tax-exempt status. The entity could then be liable for taxes on its income.

IRS’s Chief Counsel’s memo of June 9, 2023 concluded “an organization that develops paid NIL opportunities for student-athletes will, in many cases, be operating for a substantial nonexempt purpose—serving the private interests of student-athletes.”

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Then wouldn’t that apply to every single collective? And who truly knows market rate and whether a unique talent is overpaid?

12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    not all collectives are non profit

from the link:

Collectives come in various forms, but the most common are marketplace collectives, donor-driven collectives, and dual collectives. Marketplace collectives are organizations that create a meeting place for athletes and businesses to connect and create opportunities. Donor-driven collectives pool together booster and supporter funds and create opportunities for athletes to give money back to them. Dual collectives have features of both.

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Are we though

14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Are you talking about the wish list posted on 2024 Gators Football Commitments thread? No pen has touched paper yet, so no.

15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I've heard that somewhere before....Do scared coaches make money? It seems the answer is yes, mounds of it. At least temporarily.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. chunks1

chunks1 All American

Jan 2, 2014
    Already a thread on it but you have to question the UF administration desire to be competitive in football. It seems that average or below is acceptable.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    So UF has less donors ($$$) than FSU, Ole Miss, etc, teams that have done quite well in the portal. Seems to me the issue is elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HomeGrownGator

HomeGrownGator Senior

Jun 4, 2007
    Napiers theme song for the off season :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    This is an interesting discussion on this topic of balancing the portal and recruiting.