Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Can We Be Positive for Just Nine Months?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Apr 6, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I get the frustration of some Gator fans. Last year, I lost my cookies over Napier giving a scholarship to Graham Mertz. I considered Mertz a horrible pick, due to his track record at Wisconsin. Since then, I have admitted BN knew what he was doing. I am only too painfully aware of some of the shortcomings of Billy!
    I have been a Gator fan all my life--@70 years--which means I have seen more lean than fat! I know the power of words--what's said on social media and sports forums--often is heard by player's! There currently is a different vibe at Spring practice and some have noted it. I am appealing to the fanbase of Gator Nation: can we just be positive for nine months and see what this fall season yields? Gator Nation needs Napier to succeed, and I believe we can all agree to that statement. Thank you, and GO GATORS!!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like x 11
    • Winner x 7
    • Optimistic x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    A vocal minority are unhappy dudes with nothing to look forward to and a desperate need to let the rest of us know we're screwed.

Trolls by any other name.

• Agree x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    For about a minute I felt he was a let-down transfer, until I got busy looking at his film and reading everything I could on him. And when I saw his film I saw a decent/good QB playing in an non-passing friendly system... a 3-yards-and-a -cloud-of-dust situation. He passed the ball well enough.

Finally after two full days of research, I realized that the one thing Mertz was missing is that "WOW" factor generated by QB's from a pass-happy offenses.

Then I knew he could be just good enough for the Gators and their offense. Now all he had to do is prove his potential in Napier's offense, and he did, IMHO.

And so far Napier has been pretty darn good at picking out talent both from high school level and from the portal. That is half the battle for a good/great coach. You know the rest, and according to our coach, his systems are now fully in place. That's great news... news that must be shown-out on the field of play in the 2024 season. I look forward to seeing that for myself.

When it come to talent, I trust Napier to see it... and to know it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Neither excited or calling for doom. After 2 years I just need to see more wins on the board than losses to consider it to be a good year.

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Pragmatism is boring... Lol, J/K. I think most of us feel that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am positive...

that this is not possible.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    He'll, yeah, pragmatics is boring!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Yes Doc, I'm on board.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Chester that!!! My uncle had a stroke, and he could one say one word--an expletive that starts with an "s" and ends with a "t." And that's the first fib you have said today!

10. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Instead of editing this post I will piggy-back on it and say that when I use the phrase, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I am really talking about a predictable play calling pattern. Run it on first down... run on second down... run it on third down unless it's an obvious passing down. And that's partly why Mertz's passing numbers were so unimpressive at Wisconsin.

When the whole world AND the defense knows you're going to pass the ball it's much more difficult to achieve that pass completion.

It was the predictability in that Wisconsin offensive system, that showed up in his passing numbers, and lack of his lack overall offensive productivity and passing accuracy was a direct result in the play-calling and scheme there.

So it's great for him to get into a system that is not nearly as predictable. That's a good thing for him as a passing QB, and he has thrived passing in Napier's offense.

I too feel good about this year, doc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Totally on board. Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Dude, you're a beast....Keep leading the offseason optimism.

But, we all have the right to disagree and post otherwise. When we do....Keep posting the good stuff - both perspectives are necessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    no

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I appreciate your post doctorg8r.
    I think CBN has done some very good things as head of our football program. He is building relationships and trust with Florida High School coaches and is not afraid to make changes in his staff. He also appears, IMO, to have a very good eye for talent and is a terrific recruiter. But he has had to deal with significant changes in recruiting which started to steamroll about the time he took over the program.
    I believe CBN is learning but his upside far outweighs the fact that he has not reached his peak yet as a football coach in the SEC. I do believe it is important, no, imperative, we show marked improvement this season: and I believe we will.
    I have concerns but I choose to air and discuss them with fellow Gators in places other than a public forum. I think, and I could be wrong, negativity on public forums has hurt our recruiting and serves to undermine morale of some of our coaches.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. original zin

original zin Junior

Oct 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ll up you to eleven months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Meh.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    In theory, it would be extremely beneficial if the vast majority of fans at least tried to be patient and let things unfold as they inevitably must. In actual fact, the stalwarts will stand fast and the whiners will whine - possible consequences be damned. We're Gator fans after all, and that just seems to be what we do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I identify as a pessimist. Why can't you respect who I am?

My pronouns are troll/anti sunshine pumper/hater

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Respect is a road that runs in both directions simultaneously. As it turns out, a person tends to get back what they put out in life. If you create agita, you can expect to get some back.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nonsense. Napier has been terrible, so far. Accept it and hope for the best? That's fair. Lets see how he does with the first half of the schedule(seven months).

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 1