Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Calipari HIRED at Arkansas!

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by Bazza, Apr 7, 2024.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Calipari would love to be fired. UK would have to pay him $33 million, and he could then get a huge contract with Arkansas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m hearing that Mitch McConnell is the front runner to replace Cal.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. jacksonvillejeff

jacksonvillejeff Sophomore

Apr 4, 2024
    The man is responsible for more than any single person in UF basketball history. I think he's earned the right to do as he pleases. Kentucky pursued him after our 2 national titles and he told them no. And again in 2009. He was their #1 guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spurffel

Spurffel All American

Apr 9, 2007
    I get and respect your view. But from my view, considering what Billy did for this program, and the absolute joy I got to experience for two decades watching our basketball team (largely because of him), he can do whatever the heck he wants (even taking the UK job... which he won't) and I'll always be a huge fan of his.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. gatorblues

gatorblues Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Arkansas has multiple billionaires who purportedly are ready to throw big money at NIL for hoops. It may sound like blue blood sacrilege, but Arky might be the better platform for winning in the new legal pay for play era.

What is UK’s NIL situation? UK’s fanbase is rabid, without a doubt, but do they have enough mega-rich hoops fans prepared to open their wallets to the tune of millions per year?

It’s an honest question, not a swipe at UK. Mega-rich boosters seem to be the key to recruiting and transfer success through NIL deals these days. I don’t know which programs have a lot, or barely any, mega-rich boosters ready and willing to spend what it takes. My ignorance on the topic includes UF, by the way.

7. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I hope there's was a gentleman's understanding when christening Billy Donovan court to express "Hey, just not in the conference ok?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    He can do as he pleases within the law just like anyone else. I didn’t say he couldn’t, and that’s not the conversation. I’m saying that I wouldn’t like it. Others will disagree and that is fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What's your feeling about this abrupt change my friend?

10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I'm in favor of anything that could distract UConn today!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    No such thing as a complete rebuild for Kentucky Basketball

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    No way is Billy coming back to college

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Yeah there’s zero chance of Billy going back to college, especially now that he has the highly-depleted Bulls in the playoffs (play in game but still impressive given they should be way worse) and has a sweet position there with more power than most NBA coaches. Can’t see anything that would draw him back to the college game, especially now with this NIL and transfer portal garbage

14. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    No way he wants to come back

15. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    c'mon, grow a pair

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    What’s most surprising (and not) is that after 15 years at a school, Calipari will not have to vacate any wins for wrongdoings. He managed to be perhaps the dirtiest coach in sports for the first dozen years and oil-slicked his way through WWW and all the dealings without a peep from the NCAA. He is now officially “Teflon John”

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  17. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

I actually tend to agree, contrary to my own point. But I think it WAS a possibility. Like 25%. And even that is too much for me, because I think TG is probably an A+ fit for Florida that we would be hard pressed at the moment to equate or upgrade from. Especially with Dusty May off the table now. I think the probability is UK tries to directly hire an established "Tier 1" coach either in college or from the NBA. But there is the small probability that UK admin, with Cal having supposed to have been the "for sure, for life" coach, wants to try a different direction of "up-and-comer". Again, Dusty May would have been the obvious choice here but UK parted with Cal one year too late. If that's the case, if UF had made a run, I think TG could have been on such a list.

Now UK can get another coach and be happy for at least another 5 years. But I'd seriously start considering donating again if UF makes it past the Sweet 16 next year. Because if we do, UF needs to IMMEDIATELY start looking to lock TG down. With $$$. I don't think UK fans are gonna be content to be quiet if they think even whiff the idea another even close to Billy D is happening at UF again. The memories are still to recent of feeling like they have the second best coach in the SEC, watching UF be where they think they should be, and failing to reel in Billy twice.

And I have a really, really good feeling about TG. That's all I'll say. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I think TG is a great up and coming coach. No way UK goes for an up and comer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Man, if I were Hurley, with his well-publicized mental health issues, I would have to think long and hard before jumping in bed with the Kentucky-crazed fan base. Coaching there is much different than Connecticut, and it ain’t for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I can't imagine he would voluntarily walk away from all of that money.