Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cag's to friday night starter?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by buckeyegator, Mar 11, 2024.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Funny, the guys on the telecast tonight said that even Sully is talking about bumping up Jac’s start position.

Hmmmm. Sully

2. mmagator

mmagator Sophomore

Mar 12, 2022
    I’d keep him on Sunday…at least we would have an advantage in 1 game on the weekend. Why pair him up with the best and roll the dice with that game. I think a better longterm strategy is to try and split the 1st 2 games of a series and then you have Cags for Sunday.
    Reality is he isn’t going to pitch a complete game either and our pitching when it comes to relief is questionable as well so I would save him for Sunday…just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    There seems to be two schools of thought here:
    1. Friday’s is the most important game that sets the tone of the weekend.
    2. Each game is just as important as all the others.
    Like you, I am in the second camp, but I’ve always been of more of a mathematical mind than a feeling one. In addition to the psychological issue at stake above, we must consider at least two other elements:

1. The matchups with the opposing starters. If all other teams go 1-2-3 on Fri-Sat-Sun, then us going 2-3-1 would put us at advantage on Sunday and disadvantage on Fri and Sat.
    2. The effect on our other defensive positions. If Jac starts on the mound on Friday, it would seem he would not play at first during the weekend. This would put Heyman at first, Garrison/Donay at catcher, and Jac at DH. Presumably, this is less favorable than having Jac at first, or we’d be doing it already.
    So there it is. First we must take a stand on an intangible psychological debate, and then we have to weigh the pitching matchups against our defensive positions. To me, none of this makes all that big of a difference. It seems we really just need more capable arms.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Whatever the call is that Sully might make—we’re gonna have to live with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    PROB. STARTER
    LHP Cade Fisher (1-1, 7.56 ERA)
    RHP Liam Peterson (1-1, 5.06 ERA)
    LHP Jac Caglianone (2-0, 1.80 ERA)

PROB. STARTER
    LHP Ryan Prager (4-0, 0.00 ERA)
    RHP Tanner Jones (1-0, 1.00 ERA)
    LHP Justin Lamkin (1-0, 0.98 ERA)

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Garrison is an elite catcher defensively. I would take that all day, long.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Jeez, those are some low numbers on the TAMU side.

By the way, we scored some tickets for the family for tomorrow night’s game. We’re very excited. It would be great to say hi if you, or any other Diamond Gators, are going to be there. Also, is there any value for the kids if we show up early, eg BP balls to catch or anything?

8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    The cage keeps the foul balls to a minimum, but some of the deeper ones still get out, as well as the dingers. The outfielders and/or ball boys will sometimes toss you one if you ask nicely. Best to get isolated. They don’t want to give all the bp balls away, so less likely to get one if you’re in a big group of kids. There’s a wiffle ball field for them to play on too.

I know they have some sort of giveaway today and sunday, don’t think they have anything tomorrow.

9. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks Paid!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I will be there Saturday sitting above the Gators exit tunnel 3 rows down from the mezzanine on the left side of the isle. I always enjoy meeting other GC posters if you want to stop by. The kids play zone is on the turf field back behind the right field corner. Go all the way to the end of the wall to see it over the railing. Hint if you hang out by the railing and call down to the players they sometimes will toss up a practice ball. If you bring a pen they occasionally will sign the ball if they have time and it doesn't draw a crowd. The student isle "police" ushers will sometimes scare people away so pretend you are sitting in the closest seats so you look like you are suppose to be there. Otherwise wait until after the game when the players come out to the first base line to greet the fans.

11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Another website is showing Sully sticking with our normal weekend rotation on the mound.

12. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Lineup is posted in the game thread. Cade is on the bump. Guy in cf, luke dh, tanner behind the dish.

13. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The rest of our pitching is so suspect we need to keep him on Sunday just to have an advantage in one game. Good to stack this year, imo. Then we need to hope out bats heat up and we can get at least a split the other two.

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Yep - I posted the lineups on the game thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great to hear a guy that is locked into Coach Sully as Steve Russell is talk today about definitely a possibility of Cags going to Friday night starter. Steve also mentioned he does not buy into the thought process that Cags couldn’t do both after pitching Friday night. Steve also mentioned he feels Sully is concerned that he may need to get Neely a different opportunity and use him in a better situation. Steve said Sully really feels Friday night is super important as far as setting the tone. Shane agreed with him, especially on Cags. All that being said, hopefully Fisher goes out tonight and throws a gem.

16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Lol, my bad.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the tips, Matherly! My son is so excited. We haven’t been to Condron before, but it would be great to say hi, so I will do my best to decide your seating directions. :D

Edit: *decode

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Bump for the sake of saving more than just the game threads....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

It makes sense that with the pitching performances we have seen this year that people should be throwing out ideas to improve what we are doing. But outside opinions are just that and some folks here actually believe they have a hold on "truth". 74nole is a great source of knowledge about pitching, so ignore him at your peril. Besides pitching and hitting, Cags has saved a lot of runs with his elite fielding. Move him to Friday and you lose that for at least 2 games. Of course Sully is considering other options. He should be. But he also knows better than anyone here how to best motivate the team. He has been pretty clear that he is struggling to piece it together. Best we can do is hope he presses the right buttons and cheer these guys on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    Rated "optimistic" for this line, since GC doesn't have a "doubt' emoji. Sully's got a great résumé and has many talents as a head coach, but this team does not look motivated and some of the responsibility for that has to fall on him.

• Agree Agree x 1