Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cade Fisher

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by oneatatime, Jul 3, 2023.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Next year's ace. Will be a weekend starter Friday or Saturday. May not be the hardest thrower, but is capable of getting the big strikeout. The guy knows how to pitch and if healthy will lead next year's staff in innings pitched.

• Like Like x 6
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I agree that he will/should very much be in this mix. It will be worthwhile to follow.

Is he pitching in the Cape or anywhere else this summer or taking a break?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I enjoy watching him. Pitching from the slot on his frame makes for an unusual angle across the plate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Fisher had a lot of poise for a true freshman, but to me the best thing was that he threw strikes much more consistently than our more experienced guys.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Extremely impressive outing against Texas Tech with the season on the line. 7 IP with 1 run allowed and no walks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    I wish he had started game 3 against LSU.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

While I agree that he progressed well all season, I think for at the time of the season it was and after his previous outing being somewhat extended for him—IMHO he was somewhat gassed when he came into game 3 in relief (on short rest from his last outing with one day’s rest). Nothing implied as negative in saying that just my observations.

If his work load had been set up for him to start then I’m sure he would have been sharper.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lefty with sink has a lot to like about it. He doesn't light up the radar gun like Cags from the left side but has much better command and can throw any one of his pitches in a hitter's count. And get a lot of ground balls as well.

Certainly a weekend starter IMO. I suspect that Copolla will be a weekday starter early on and Cags has to be a weekend starter. I am hearing that Neely wants to be a weekend starter as well so the starting rotation might get crowded

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Plus the UCLA transfer added to the mix. Some have said previously that Neeley was promised a weekend start slot if he worked as the closer this year. I would hope her still has to earn it and not just have it handed to him if others perform better in the fall and pre-season practices/scrimmages.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I’m in agreement with you @ocalaman - I think Neely was probably more likely told if he worked the closer role this year and wanted to return to a starting role next year that would definitely be on the table.

I might be wrong but I just don’t think open ended promises for a weekend starting slot are handed out from Sully’s office. I think those decisions are based on what happens throughout fall ball and early spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I like Neely as a closer because he is a two pitch pitcher and can throw the hard high one that hitters that want to hit think they can hit. In crunch time hitters often think that they can do more than they can do. That works to his strengths as a pitcher. I just wish that he wouldn't start the at bat with that pitch and rather set it up. When he sets it up it is lights out. As a first pitch they usually lay off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Fisher=Moxie/Makeup.

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Don’t disagree at all. I will say (based on what we saw this year) if Neely remains our closer I would have to push for a day’s rest on an outing that is 35+ pitches. I think his body and it’s performance level goes back to fresh. Push that and all three (locations, velocities, and sharpness/crispness for the slider) pitches have a lil’drag on them. And we need to set’em up to succeed-not set’em up to fail.

And the truth is that he is likely to work outta the pen at the next level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Truth.

He has the mentality of a closer.

Nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of $s to be made as an MLB closer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    Just about every pitcher does better against not-SEC than SEC, because best conference in the country, but it's rather striking for Fisher, especially BB/9 and WHIP. The SEC zone was clearly smaller than the first-month (non-conf) and tournament zone.
    Fisher vs. not-SEC: 2.59 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 1.85 BB/9
    Fisher in "SEC games" (regular season + Hoover): 4.42 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 3.44 BB/9
    Fisher against SEC teams (includes supers & CWS finals): 3.60 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, 2.88 BB/9
    His success as a weekend starter may depend on if the SEC tells the umpires to have another year as the Squeeze Everyone Conference.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Don't we usually try to go righty, lefty, righty on the weekend? Which would mean Fisher on Saturday.

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Liked for Squeeze Everyone Conference. That is very funny.

Except Skenes wasn't squeezed so it was Squaeeze (almost) Everyone Conference.

While it might not prep our pitchers for Omaha it does prep them for pro ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I think that’s the preferred approach but it’s dictated strictly by our SP’s performance records IMHO.

19. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    Thinking back, you are right. I just had a bad feeling about Cags before the game. We needed perhaps 3-4 decent innings from someone and then start putting your bullpen options in. Of course, that didn’t happen for us like it did for LSU.
    It was a great season however and we have a lot to look forward to with our coach, players, and great baseball fans herein.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If we get Holman he will be the Friday night guy more than likely. I have a hard time believing a 4 year All American starter in Kelly Austin (could go pro) with comparable numbers to Holman is coming to UF to come out of the bullpen. Then you have Coppola who could really be something special and could easily be a weekend starter. Then is Cags going to make a real possible jump in command with the 2 year TJ recovery behind him? Maybe have Cags get with Puk to discuss his progression over his control issues. Puk has 4 BB in 26 innings so far this year coming out of the bullpen….maybe that is Cags future?
    Fisher may have to wait his turn as a weekend starter…..maybe midweek!
    Our weekend rotation could really be something special.

• Like Like x 3