Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - What are we even Doering?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024.

Were you here for The Thread?

This poll will close on Jan 24, 2025 at 7:00 AM.
  1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

143 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

A bit before my time, but if i recall correctly, I believe John Reeves (Kiffin' former father-in-law) would disagree.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. tilly

Thats all I am saying. I want the guy our rivals hate. They never hate the losing coaches. It ain't a beauty contest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. tilly

Thus my whole point entirely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Yet Nick's process failed in the NFL. Apparently a Coach's process needs to be adaptable to different situations.

5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The only thing he ever did that was somewhat similar was when he had Danny limp off the field after a play in the 1994 SEC Championship game and brought in Eric Kresser, who threw a frozen rope deep out to Chris Doering. He didn't do it to intentionally delay the game, just to trick Alabama into thinking that we would run the ball with a cold, green QB coming into the game.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Umm, how soon we forget!!
    In the 94 SECCG Spurrier had Danny fake an injury not to slow down the game, but to throw off Bama.
    Danny got hit, was slow to get up, and noticeably limped off the field.
    Kresser came in and Bama expected a run up the middle since you know, Danny was hurt.
    INSTEAD Kresser threw a long pass and we got a big gain.
    Danny came back in, and led us to a TD.
    I think it was the game winning TD drive.

I remember it- and also Danny talked about it in his book.
    Danny got a letter from a Bama fan telling him that faking an injury was lying- and that hurt his witness as a Christian.
    Danny used the book to answer back that a lot of football is deception (fake handoffs, motion, etc) and he saw his fake injury as the same thing.

So yes- Spurrier ABSOLUTELY faked an injury to win a game.

Edit: Crusher beat me to it by a few seconds. But I'll keep the post up for those interested in what Danny said in his book.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Bobby Bowden was a db.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Really?? Thats your response smh. This just in MoM. The same could be said for trapping bears with a mouse trap.

OR

The adaption could be as simple as keeping/maintaining the process and changing the surroundings which is what NS did, he didnt junk his process. He returned to a conducive environment and adapted his schemes over time to evolving trends.

His core “process”didnt vary much while at bama. Collect talent, demand individual accountability on the field, play upperclassmen when possible and get imoact players on the field when possible. Hire/stockpile asst coaches who were proven and capable. Lastly, motivate every player and release those who were dragging down the talent level or not improving to keep pace above newly acquired players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    "You can't spell Citrus without U-T" I would wager UT fans would consider that pretty douchey. Seems a silly argument to debate where on the scale of douche baggery he lies or Kiffen lies, it's not important. Personally I like some shit talk and subtle jabs, lord knows it's better than falling asleep listening to Billy "Tryptophan" Napier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder All American

Jun 23, 2023
    It doesn't sound southern, nor does it rock.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Not even close to being similar.

Pulling a player and replacing them with another player is hardly faking an injury to delay the game. Players substitute regularly throughout the game-in every game- and coaches use substitutions routinely to fool the other team, or otherwise gain an advantage.

As for the famous "Florida Flop", we didn't do that to win the game-it was in the bag- we did that to let Reeves get the ball and set a record.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I hate the practice of faking injuries but if that’s the worse you have to hate Kiffin for now then you probably just don’t like him, which is fine, I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility myself. He’s also not the only coach doing this, two wrongs don’t make a right, but if this is part of the criteria for our next coach we’re eliminating at least 1/4 of the pool.

13. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    I’d rather they lay on the ground after a play than watch them “stand still” while in play. Until it becomes an enforceable rule, I don’t care if we use it to our advantage like every other school does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tilly

No one used the delay the game caveat.
    The fact is SOS faked an injury and Florida has famously flopped. Its just excuses to say those were somehow different.

They were done to benefit the Gators and Kiffin did it to benefit the Rebs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I prefer Billy benzos or Benzo Billy

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    "This UF football press conference is brought to you by Sleep Number"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    IMG_4544.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Of course a coach cheats to benefit his team. You on board with that?

It is a sleazeball move to fake an injury like that to delay the game. Which is exactly what Kiffin did. And,it is not considered appropriate, acceptable, good sportmanship, or even necessarily legal (if refs penalize it), and you know it. It has no class.

Whether Wuerffel left the field pretending to be injured- or left to take a crap - is irrelevant. What difference did that make? We substituted a player-within the rules- without delaying the game. Of course it was to fool the gumps. Coaches substitute players all game long to gain an advantage, and to fool the other coaches. It's appropriate, acceptable, good sportsmanship, and perfectly within the rules. The gumps knew Kresser was our QB, and made their decision on how to defend him. They screwed up, just as Spurrier suspected they would. Spurrier was completely within the rules.

As for the "Flop", that wasn't a fake injury play-you perhaps know this- and was over 50 years ago. It wasn't to delay the game. It was to get the ball back in the hands of Reeves, and perhaps to humiliate the cocanes. I'm ok with this. Apples to oranges.

It would seem that everyone's desperation for wins allows them to forget not only Kiffin's sketchy past, but his current antics.

Carry on with your Kiffin Krush, but leave Spurrier out of it. There is no comparison.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I prefer the Indiana coach over these 2.

• Agree Agree x 4