Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - What are we even Doering?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024.

Were you here for The Thread?

This poll will close on Jan 24, 2025 at 7:00 AM.
  1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

144 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    i agree with all that stuff I didn’t copy! that analogy doesn’t fly imo. I think most would agree that there are more resources at UF than Louisville. But we don’t know what drives brohm until we ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah you definitely make the call to him. I just think some of the names being thrown out are really far fetched for a few reasons. I just can't see him leaving after 2 years there. Just more miserable timing for UF when it comes to football.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    He also was on a track at Purdue that had a lot of similarities to Billy… he was 6-6 his 1st regular season, and then had 3 losing seasons in a row, culminating in a 2-4 record in the 2020 Covid shortened season.
    He did win his bowl game the 1st year, and it was Purdue, but he really didn’t turn the program around until his 4th and 5th year… at least record wise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I haven't, but Indiana's schedule so far this year is a complete joke.

Let's see how Cignetti fares against some real competition before we anoint him anything.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    that was my opinion and wish those tougher games were sooner than later, not because i think Indiana can beat Michigan or ohio state, but to see how they play.

6. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Question: Has anyone watched any of Indiana's games this year? Curious to get any insight as to "how" they play. I'm sure if they keep winning, they'll end up on TV in primetime. I haven't looked at their remaining schedule, but being in the Big10, I'm sure they'll be playing some good teams.

7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I was just jabbing at Freeze, who said after Auburn lost to Arkansas words to the effect that “No disrespect to Arkansas, but everyone knows we would beat them 9 out of 10 times.”

8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Haven't played anyone yet but they are top 10 in total offense and total defense. They are 5 and 0 for the first time since 1967 so there's that

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SmootyGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Interesting. That kind of answers my question... I will definitely try to watch a game if the opportunity presents itself. The top 10 in both categories is very appealing. My main reason for asking the question was to find out if they are just a "one trick pony" or gimmicky type of team, or if they are well-rounded and just play good football all around.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Currently 9th best offense and 8 best defense

Again competition has been suspect but that's a nice balance

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And I'd assume their schedule doesn't change too dramatically year to year, so they're likely to be seeing similar opponents as in years past but with a better record currently.

Napier's biggest pro prior to coming here was his dominating record in the Sunbelt. And for every "yeah but that was against Sunbelt teams," the response would be yes, but it was WITH a Sunbelt team. You can only play the teams on your schedule, so how you play them and how you do in comparison to previous years can give useful context.

But his biggest con (at least I think it should have been) was in the "how" of those wins. Acquiring superior talent to your competition is a good thing for a coach to do. It's less likely to be a realistic option in the SEC where so many teams already recruit at such a high level. But if you have superior talent to your peers yet those wins against them are consistently close in grind it out affairs, it ought to raise questions of what you're doing with that superior talent and how you are or aren't developing them and putting them in positions to be successful.

I think we definitely need a coach who can attract and sign talented kids. But I'm ready for one who also makes the most of whoever he has and puts them in positions to succeed and dominate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Dominating single score wins

13. SmootyGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Indiana beat Maryland last weekend 42-28 at Maryland. IU had 4 turnovers to UM's 0. How many times has a team lost the turnover battle by 4, but still won, and by 14 points. I'm intrigued.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I also get concerned when these coaches come to the big boys stage and they’re playing against the best offensive and defensive coordinators in the world. Game planning against minor colleges with guys I have a part-time job in the off-season is completely different.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

……that didn’t cover the spread.

16. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Both of them have great records against ranked teams. But ok

17. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Watched a good part of the game vs Maryland this past weekend, a game against a team with at minimum comparable talent level, if not better. They looked the superior team start to finish. Lost TO margin 4 to 0 and still put up 42 points and won by 14. Few penalties fundamentally sound on D.

They will most likely get out talented, but they will give everyone a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Next title update: Murphy rears his head

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Yeah but how many shoes did they throw? If they ain't hitting the QB late we don't want 'em.

• Funny Funny x 1