Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - What are we even Doering?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024.

Were you here for The Thread?

This poll will close on Jan 24, 2025 at 7:00 AM.
  1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

144 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If Vrabel wanted to try out coaching college football, would we go after him?

2. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    Well a fortnight is 14 days..

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    All I'm saying is the guy has a very good track record at UK as a hc. There is consistency there. I agree, would need a quality OC but right now UF cannot afford a risky pick. Also, any coach that gets there team in the playoff probably wouldn't be interested in the UF job.
    I watched uk lose to SC, and they played really bad, Stoops was not happy, adjustments were made, they almost beat uga and did beat ole miss. That says something about a coach who makes adjustments. Also, since Stoops has been at uk they seem to have better than average OL. We could do a whole lot worse and have...

4. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Incredible to even be having this conversation.

I think Stoops retires at UK or leaves us for Iowa if that ever opens up. Love my coach and we has done for UK football. Go Cats!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GR8T2BAFLG8R

GR8T2BAFLG8R Freshman

Dec 9, 2010
    The same arguments that are being given in support of Kiffen could be applied to Stoops. Namely, he is at an institution whose ceiling is limited for a number of reasons that have been discussed. Given the resources, facilities, and recruiting grounds UF offers, the opportunity to go to the next competitive level is there. He can clearly develop talent and scheme on defense. He’s proven he can recruit in a limited environment and can develop talent on the defensive side of the ball. He would need to bring in a top offensive coordinator, but I think the UF brand (not to mention the Spurrier and brother Bob Stoops relationships) would be pivotal in ensuring that is an attractive opportunity for a talented offensive coordinator.
    Finally, he’s proven he can compete and even win big games against better talent in the SEC over a number of years…something Kiffen has yet to prove.
    In my opinion, he has the experience, respect and integrity in the coaching profession necessary to be able to bring the confidence and stability to move the program forward and achieve great things in fairly short order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rj_gator

rj_gator Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    And then he probably leaves us for Bama last year like he did to UW after reaching the national championship game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If there is no home run hire to be found then Stoops To me he has a high floor and fairly high ceiling given UF advantages over Ky. Doesn’t excite me but he’s a grinder who knows what he’s doing. With a good offensive coordinator and energetic recruiters on the staff, I think he would do very well. But very well would not make gator nation satisfied after 4-5 years of good not great. Honestly at this point I could certainly live with Stoops hire to get us out of the SEC basement. If he then did not compete for SEC TITLE IN 5 years, then swing for a home run hire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah I agree. I have been praising him in comparison to kiffin but I don't think he leaves Kentucky unless it's for home and our fanbase wouldn't be excited by it despite our current disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to hear more arguments for not considering him.

11. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Not likely.

12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    red dress meme.jpg

• Funny Funny x 14
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Which program do you think has the much better shot at a national championship quickly and for the long term, Bama or Washington? It's the same as Urban's reason for taking the UF job over his dream to coach ND. He knew he would win quickly at UF.

14. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Agreed, only b/c UF wouldn’t have been as successful as UW and he wouldn’t have been the top candidate.

15. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    He didn't have southern ties, that still carries weight for some reason. Even last year when I listed him as a potential replacement the same thing was said. Winners win.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The problem with Stoops - he is not a brand fit at all for Florida. He is a defensive coach first. He prefers a run based ball control offense. Even when he has had OC’s with pedigree his passing game offense takes second fiddle and is in the lower half of the SEC.

he wants ball control which is the opposite of what the average Florida fan base wants. And that matters. Gator fans will not be lining up to fund NIL under Stoops. He brings zero excitement. I’d imagine he could win some games here, but winning 24-17 for a season will - to many gator fans - not be enough. For better or worse UF fans have come to expect and desire high flying offense through the air. Napier was also a brand mismatch.

Gator fans were disgruntled when Spurrier wasn’t winning big enough and his offenses were off the charts electric.

Stoops would likely have better results than Napier…but his style and brand of football would get run out of town sooner rather than later. Even if he was winning moderately.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    The fortnight has not been completed yet, thus the title remains appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Suffice it to say whichever coach is hired I doubt everyone will be on board. Very few coaches without warts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GR8T2BAFLG8R

GR8T2BAFLG8R Freshman

Dec 9, 2010
    What “brand of football” hasn’t been run out of town in the last 17 years. Win football games consistently and be competitive even when you don’t will win recruits, quality coaching staffs and the fans will be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    First of all congrats to Stoops and Ky on a big upset win.
    However, I totally agree with your post. It's bizarre to me that fans now want him at UF. Reeks of desperation I guess. Stoops is right where he belongs at KY making big $$.

His W/L record is at best comparable to Mullen at State. . In 12 seasons he is barely over .500, only 3 seasons with 8 or more wins, has a losing sec record and never finished in the top 10. His team just got crushed by mighty SC.
    Him hiring a top flight OC to spark his offense sounds just like Muschamp talk and it never happened. If fans want to go 7-5, with maybe an upset every year this is your guy. :rolleyes:.

Hard pass for me, not that I get a vote.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1