Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - What are we even Doering?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024.

Were you here for The Thread?

This poll will close on Jan 24, 2025 at 7:00 AM.
  1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

143 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. pogba

pogba Junior

Nov 28, 2013
    Just because Napier stinks on ice, doesn't mean Mullen should still be here. Mullen was checked out that last season. Revisionist history is so tiresome.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It did rehab his career. He went from Bama to FAU to Ole Miss and is now one of the top prospects this cycle to get a top 10 job.

It’s hard to say he didn’t play his cards right at Bama

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Kerwin Bell, duh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Perhsps, but there are times when looking into doing something innovative makes the effort worth the risk.

I'd say having gone through 3 out of 4 (Mac being the sole exception here--canned for other reasons, though still contributing to the misery index) coaches whom we made multi-millionaires (>20 each) then had to choke on those same coaches being too stubborn, arrogant and oblivious to implement obvious changes.... come #5, seems the grand innovative step of not yielding full authority (reserving final say in a group invested in Gators' succces) and not paying someone stupid generational money for a job that isn't exactly rocket science....

....seems a pretty well warranted innovation, against well hedged losses.

Though I suppose y'all's presumed counter point must surely be true, to wit: ain't no way in hell throwing stupid money and investing complete authority in one guy, could possibly go wrong...again... i mean...ain't no way, bra! Statistically impossible, right?

[Enter Einstein's famous quote]

PS--pretty sure we will have paid Billy more than Spurrier and Meyer COMBINED! by the time all is said and done--for 3 losing seasons, no SEC's, no natty's, and no H-men.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 2:37 AM
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Well if money ain't the end all (I agree with you there), then we needn't be throwing so much at problems, because there's also only so much money can accomplish.

How about you tell me--when was the last time we under paid a coach?

When and how can you point to, where we went stingy, and lost out on a coach who woulda done better than what we went with?

Last big search where actual big money names were in play that I recall was Mullen, whom we chose over Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, and Mike Norvell, none of whom look like had we tapped, would have yielded better results, and last go around, we tapped Napier over whom--Brian Kelly, and Norvell again?

More money doesn't seem to be the solution, though it is a sore spot source for problems.

For Mr Anyway.

If we're going to be throwing big bucks like that, let's set up our own guys with thar kind of wealth, bc at least then we'll already have their and their families' loyalty.

6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    At least he's a Gator.

We'd at least be making one our own filthy rich, rather than another mercenary who will yield negative ROI, and no good will. Again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    If that’s the only criteria…[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We certainly haven’t underpaid our coaches because we hired all failures. When was the last time we had a top five paid coach? You’re right though, just paying the most won’t do the trick. Many other schools have made decent hires in the last 15 years though. We can try to outbid for a top five coach or take another up and comer. It’s not an enviable position. When Saban said that after that many failed coaches in a row, look elsewhere for your problem, I’d think he knows a bit of truth. Players win championships. Napier is definitely no Spurrier but I bet he would’ve won the Tennessee game if he had a top 5 oline in the country. I think our biggest problem over the last several years is recruiting. We haven’t had top 5 recruiting in a long time and it shows. Norvell strung together some good portal moves and got a decent team temporarily but I think the hs pipeline has to be recruited and sifted through longterm to keep a steady roster. There’s only a handful of teams doing that and they are the ones consistently winning. There’s very few elite coaches out there and someone like Day may not be one of them, but he is given elite talent year after year and he wins games. Maybe he’s another Richt or maybe he finally gets it done one day. I think the highest payrolls are going to stay in the top ten longterm and there’s no way around that. Penn State may have that ten win guy that can’t get over the hump or maybe he just needs osu’s roster. They will never know if the expect him to take the tenth roster and beat the best roster, I don’t think he’s that guy.Day doesn’t seem to be able to get it done with the best roster.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    My take of Mullen (again):

[​IMG]

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t think sympathy is called for. That’s not it — it’s more how about we dispense with the hostility and character assassinations and just cut him loose with a little class. That can’t be too hard a concept for people to grasp

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

No worries - he won’t win 6 games

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    My concern will be recruiting. Bad class sets you back some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I was a DM supporter too. In a vacuum, I agree, but he had 3 NY6 bowls before that. And gave Bama all they could handle twice and a missed XP cost us one of those.

If Dan really gave up, then I am fine with letting him walk, but not because of one bad season out of 4.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    That's just it though. It wasn't because of one bad season despite what "revisionists " want to claim today. It was a combination of the trajectory, recruiting, Grantham, public gaffs and whatever behind the scenes issues between him and the UAA because despite what people say about impatient Gator fans, we never fired anyone for one bad year. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    There’s just no way to fire a coach or even even have rumors of firing the coach and not Lose Recruits. It looks like this class is going to be pretty rough no matter what we do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Yep, and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his as hopping. We might have 1 more win this year with FSU so don't think we have to worry about winning 6. BUT, if we did, he would probably be retained as that would mean we beat at least 1 good team (my hope is that it would be UGAG with TX next).

17. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Working out OK for Penn St.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    With the early signing period I'm afraid that's the reality for any school with a coach in trouble or transitioning to a new coach. Narrow time frame

19. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    What? No Coach O?

20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    IMO the impact of a lost class due to a fired coach is not even 1/10th of what it used to be.
    That's what it was before- not now.
    If we indeed hire a hot name I hope he can pull in so much talent from the portal that this lost class is close to irrelevant.

Hope being the operative word.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2